[Gamemode PVE+PVP] Survival

Gnougnou

Hello everyone,

I don't know if it has been suggested yet, but I'm here to propose a new gamemode that could be fun to play : Survival. The player(s) spawn at the middle (or side) of the map, and have to protect a neutral building against waves of NPCs.

While this gamemmode isn't especially original, it brings some good content to the game :

• New meta : The way you play this gamemmode would drastically change from your usual offensive PVE/PVP decks. Here, you have to defend, so building and slow movement cards, which are not used that much, would be for once of great help. Those cards would gain some value on the market.
  • More diversity to the game : In addition to the missions and PVE skirmishes, this would be an additional gamemmode to earn credits. Also, as stated before, we would see more cards played.
  • Maps would be "easy" to make : You don't need cinematics, voice acting or whatnot. Once you have the spawning mechanics and the winning/losing events set up, you only need new maps (where the community could help) to copy/past those events on. Some maps could have the neutral building in the middle, while some could have it on a side with enemies all coming from the other. NPC faction could change depending of the maps.
  • In addition to the difficulty level that would increase the toughness of the waves, another difficulty switch could limit the player orb level. Instead of having 4 orbs, some maps could limit the player with only T2 or T3 units.
  • Victory condition could be either based on wave amount (you win after x waves), or, you are FORCED to lose at some point, and you earn credits based on how long you survived (could be probably exploited so maybe not the best solution).

Also, a PVP variant of this gamemode could be fun : One player, with a huge pool of resource, is in charge of spawning the waves with his own cards or/and has an interface similar to the Forge where he can spawn and control NPC factions. The attacking player is out of reach and vision from the defending players, so they don't see what's coming, and from where. Again, the attacking player might use some cards that are almost never played, since he is basically attacking a huge base, and has a lot of time and multiple angles (depending on the map) to execute his attack.

The only issue I see with this mode is the potential lag of all the blobs of units. But if the game is able to handle it pretty well, then it is, to me, a good addition to the game. Considering the blobs we see in the current skirmishes and how well the game is able to run, I'm guessing this could work.

What do you guys think ?

Edited by Gnougnou

11 hours ago, Kubik said:

:thinking: if you think creating maps is easy why you did not create lot of these maps yourself already?

Ahhh yes. You and your ":thinking:" smileys that don't bring anything to the conversation except useless sarcasm. FYI I almost always used the map editor of whatever game I played. Hammer Editor on CS and CSS, UE4, Unity, Red Alert 2, C&C3, C&C Generals, AoE, CryEngine on Crysis, etc... including a lot of scripts, not only static maps. Not trying to flex, just saying that I know what these kind of editors usually look like, and that if it's not coded like complete crap, it should not be to hard to make simple maps and spawning scripts. Also note the quote on "easy" because I don't know this specific editor, I'm relying on my knowledge of other games editors. I'm not talking about good level art, for which I'm indeed terrible. I'm really talking about level design. I bet some players are artists in the making and could make good looking maps out of those mechanics.

9 hours ago, Eirias said:

There are already maps like this? Check out the community maps, for example the one called "tower defense"

I didn't know. Well, this is even better if maps like these already exist ! The goal here would be to make them official with a dedicated gamemode that would be added to the PVE rotation. People, including me, tend to play maps only if they bring you rewards, since the game is mostly based on grinding your cards and buying more. I take that those non-official maps do not give you any reward, do they ? (I could be wrong, I actually really don't know).

If this game was built like really old games where stats didn't matter and you got nothing to unlock, it would be fine. Now, think of Battlefield and the Ranked servers. Almost everyone always want to play on a ranked server to get stats, medals, unlocks, etc...

This is the same here. If these game modes (I'm talking in general here, not only survival) were to become official, be displayed on the forge page, and be a way to get the daily rewards, that would be even more content for the game, and more things for the player to play with. If I have X amount of games to play to be able to deplete my BFP pool, I'm certainly not gonna play 3h on maps that are not gonna bring me anything ! Sure I would get some fun, but I above all would have lost a lot of time during which I could have earned BFP, to buy new cards, which is half the fun of the game !

I'll be honest, I stopped playing Skylords a couple months ago because I got really tired of those offensive PVE missions. I know that 2 friends of mine quit for the same reason. That means that probably other players are also experiencing this frustration. I'm here to propose a solution. If the community is already doing other game modes, maybe it could be interesting to bring them to life officially.

Edited by Gnougnou

Unless something changed quite recently these maps count for the daily BFP gain, so I have no idea what are you talking about.

The defense maps was also available before EA shut the game down, so they are nothing new.

If you was using editor for almost all games :thinking: what makes BF the exception to it?

Last time I checked team did not want to add any new "official" maps before release.

8 hours ago, Kubik said:

Unless something changed quite recently these maps count for the daily BFP gain, so I have no idea what are you talking about.

The defense maps was also available before EA shut the game down, so they are nothing new.

If you was using editor for almost all games :thinking: what makes BF the exception to it?

Last time I checked team did not want to add any new "official" maps before release.

BF is not an exception, I just don't have has much free time as I used to have back in the days... Life happened, priorities changed.

Well if the community maps work with the BFP gain, then we at least got that. I had no clue and frankly didn't expect "unofficial" missions to give any "official" reward.

If the team doesn't want new maps or/and game modes before release then this thread can be deleted.

Edited by Gnougnou

With the new reward over time mechanic like on test server it will only count the time you play no matter what. If I understand correctly. What's awesome for communitymaps, since they give bfp then too. 

Zorscy and me work on a defencive rpve mode atm where u have to defend vs random fraction.

Kind Regards 

fiki574 likes this