Wish to contribute to the project by donating? Heads up to our Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

BEWARE: Multiaccounting Will Cause Permabans! Read more... ×
MrXLink

Announcement: Kubik's departure and progress going forward

Dear Skylords, Skyladies, and other skyfolk,

As some of you may already have noticed, we're a very prominent developer short since April 5th. Due to internal difficulties, disagreements with the rest of the team and the situation not being completely on his terms, Kubik decided he didn't want to work with our team anymore and has voluntarily left the Skylords Reborn project. Progress has been slowed down and obstructed for a while now due to these issues, and sadly implementation will remain slower than we'd want; Kubik was by far the most currently active developer on the team and his work has helped the project tremendously. Without Kubik, we'd surely not have been where we are now at this pace, and we as a team are very grateful for the work he's done and the progress we've been able to make through his efforts.

Since he decided to leave it behind, we can't ignore the elephant in the room: what happens now, and what does this mean for the game's players and the project's direction? It's important to know a couple of things about this, as there will be some short- and long-term consequences in play, but the TL;DR comes down to:

Don't worry, the game will continue to be available as normal and SR will be hosted by us officially, but progress may be slower since we're short a developer.

In the meantime, any reports, bug forms or game issues you'd normally have sent to Kubik should instead be sent to us to help improve Skylords Reborn. On Discord, we still have the modmail bot for reports and community issues, and our designated bug report section.

Logs can be sent via Discord or PM to fiki574, MephistoRoss, Kiwi or Ultrakool, only then can the game be improved. I will also be available for design and community concerns.

The upcoming situation in further detail:
On the short run, very little will change. The servers will remain up and running in their current state, and we will keep the game available for everyone without question. Progress-related plans, concepts and discussion will continue, and you'll still be able to contact us about issues, feedback, moderation and so on; just mind that not all tech-related issues may be solved as fast as you'd be used to. You'll still be able to play the game in its current state, and we will update what we can in the meantime; Nyn still needs you!

On the long run, however, some things will be different. Now that we're lacking a core part of our development progress, we will require some help, and we will most definitely be on the lookout for new talent, expertise, and helping hands to aid us in rebuilding the world of Nyn, especially through the magic we call C++. Whereas we strive for design efforts to continue as planned, implementing new changes may take more time than they used to. We've got some good improvements planned, but they will need to be implemented somehow, and that will be slowing down due to the now lower manpower. We may have busy lives besides SR and have families, work, and other side tasks to attend to that may hinder activity, but that definitely will not stop us whatsoever from continuing to work on SR to improve experience as much as we can!

In terms of the project's direction and future, don't be afraid! We as a team will continue to work on Skylords Reborn and improve it where and when we can; we're not halting development whatsoever, we merely lack the means to develop at the speed we used to, and we will try our best to make this as little of an inconvenience to you, the community, as possible. 

There's a lot going on in the world right now, and for SR it is no different either. While we're lower on production power, we will still make sure you have the opportunity to play BattleForge to kill some of that quarantine time. More on that in an upcoming announcement. There are also a few design changes live on the test server if you feel like checking that out, which I'll cover in more detail soon as well. Expect more frequent design work to be done in the back- and foreground!

In the meantime remember to stay safe, skyfolks, and we'll keep you posted on new developments, concepts and decisions in the near future. 

Shalade likes this

Posted (edited)

Why you leave? Its impossible to finish this game without you. Come back pls. We know how much you done for us!

Edited by selim092

Kubik... i´ve known you for such little time, but i allready enjoyed our friendly banter :´(. Whatever you decide to do next, i wish you all the best and hopefully it will be alright for everyone ^.^

3 hours ago, Kubik said:

doubt most people even know I ever existed.

Doubt bout that.

Even I who has played only a few hours and never posted anything in the forum knows who you are and how important your work is/was. 

Thank you for the great work and making it possible for me and my friends after many years to share some time in Battle Forge again. 

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Kubik said:

`Why you leave?` Because I will not work with MrXLink anymore.

`Come back pls` No

`We know` :thinking: who is we? I doubt most people even know I ever existed.

17 hours ago, Kubik said:

what statement you want? :thinking:

4 hours ago, Kubik said:

you have no idea how many times I speak to someone and they did not know

Your responses Kubik show no signs of formality or maturity. I personally don't care at all what your reasoning to leave was. You were signed to work as a developer on a certain project under someone's orders. The only thing you had to do is your own job. When you join a team, you have to cope with the rest of the members. You are not in a team to like/hate eachother but to simply do the job you were signed to do. 'you have no idea how many times I speak to someone and they did not know' - You are a developer. The main thing that should give you satisfaction is knowing that you have helped built something that many people will be excited/happy/thankful for. Yet why does it seem like fame is more important to you than the success of the project itself? Also, this is not the first time i see you in the comments making a really bad impression with the way you respond to people. You were the first and only person from the team to openly show how fast you can lose your temper while trying to respond to some questions asked by the community. And that was when you were still a new member of the team. Back then I thought that maybe things will change when you get more experience working in this kind of atmosphere. And here you are, the same as before with only one difference - back then you had just joined the team whilst now you had just left it. 

Shalade likes this

6 minutes ago, mani9977 said:

Your responses Kubik show no signs of formality or maturity.

why should they?

7 minutes ago, mani9977 said:

You were signed to work as a developer on a certain project under someone's orders. The only thing you had to do is your own job.

You are incorrect, I did not sign anything.

8 minutes ago, mani9977 said:

You are a developer. The main thing that should give you satisfaction is knowing that you have helped built something that many people will be excited/happy/thankful for. Yet why does it seem like fame is more important to you than the success of the project itself?

What that have to do with some fame? I even said:

9 hours ago, Kubik said:

I doubt most people even know I ever existed. 

I sad that we lost Kubik for Skylords reborn, but its his decision - So i wish you the best for the future.

And who knows, maybe i spot your name on another project and think to myself : "I KNOW YOU" with big smile on my face :D

Posted (edited)

Halis, Hittimo and I thank you for your work! You made the game playable for all of us without asking for anything. Without you this game will never be finished. Nobody has invested more time and effort than you! That your opinion is not respected and you feel to leave us, I officially call everyone to strike !!!!! I will not longer play the game without your support ....

Edited by selim092

On 4/9/2020 at 7:15 PM, selim092 said:

Halis, Hittimo and I thank you for your work! You made the game playable for all of us without asking for anything. Without you this game will never be finished. Nobody has invested more time and effort than you! That your opinion is not respected and you feel to leave us, I officially call everyone to strike !!!!! I will not longer play the game without your support ....

The whole team respects kubik’s opinion, and appreciate his hard work, as you can read in the opening thread. That was not MrXLink’s thread and words alone, everyone in the team either contributed or read over it. We worked as a team, always have, always will, and when Kubik decides to put his own needs and feud first, over the project, over the game, over the team, we don’t have a choice in the matter really. I want to say again, Kubik was not pushed out in any way shape or form. It was due to his own personal conflict that he made the decision himself to leave, and he stood firmly on that decision.

mani9977, Shalade and MrXLink like this

I know this sounds harsh, but progress getting even slower than it already is? It's really hard to even see any progress in the last months.

39 minutes ago, BiJay said:

I know this sounds harsh, but progress getting even slower than it already is? It's really hard to even see any progress in the last months.

Almost the only roadblock in that was game design related, not development related

Hello there, first of all. I wish Kubix the best of luck and sucess for his upcomming projects wich ever they are.

Secondly, this is a private project and we should be thankfull for all the effort every developer made. Having Battleforge shutdown by EA  was a nightmare for many of us, and this project was so awaited and wished that we all should be thankfull for that. Kubix did his job, and lets be honest one hell of a job, but has EA took other directions, so will Kubix. Commenting that he lacks professionalismis just pure BS ppl, he spent time and effort on this (maybe he got paid, maybe he didntx I dont care) but never the less he as active on tis project and thanks to thank we can spend some of our free time here. Be thankfull

Posted (edited)

Thx Kubik for allways be there for questions and get necessary things done. F. E. When I corrupted my mapfile by simply placing the wrong object in editor he tryed and succeeded to fix it. 

I hope you keep on staying in the discord and game as a non developer as well. 

@leftoverdevs

Who btw we can now ask for delete uploaded communitymaps from the server? The community maps section needs some responsible person(s) to prevent its being spammed with copies or trash. 

Kind Regards 

Edited by Karl Lavafeld

4 hours ago, Karl Lavafeld said:

@leftoverdevs

Who btw we can now ask for delete uploaded communitymaps from the server? The community maps section needs some responsible person(s) to prevent its being spammed with copies or trash. 

You can ask fiki or use modmail on discord. 

16 hours ago, Yo Dum Fok said:

maybe he got paid, maybe he didntx I dont care

Nobody gets paid. All staff members do their volunteer job in their free time. Kubik invested much of his free time into this project

Kubik was, in the last year, the only real developer and I hope his great work and efforts will not go unnoticed from now on just because he is no longer a part of the team.

Fingers crossed that the work doesn't completely stop with him being gone, good luck to the remaining staff, though it won't be easy to find his replacement.

Thanks Kubik for all your hard work. You did a great job as far as i have heard.

We all know if you work together in a team there are always times you don't get along together, and as everyone in the team do this as a hobby (we as players are happy and thankful for that), everyone has his own ideas how to make it right. If those opinions drift too far away from each other and it get's to the point it can't go on this way, than there is no reason to push the hobby till the team breaks. Telling you to come back won't help in any way. Blaming anyone won't help either. It is as it is. There is a difference how to keep it going, the team has another opinion as kubik and an agreement couldn't be found. Why anger and fight in a hobby? That is the point to go seperate ways and that's okay. Result: We thank Kubik for all he has done, wish him farewell and good luck and fortune on the future path and cheer on the current team to keep going working on this great project.

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2020 at 7:07 AM, Kubik said:

`Why you leave?` Because I will not work with MrXLink anymore.

I logged in just to upvote that!

Edited by Nerevar

I want to ask a question:

How much work in percent did Kubik do in this game up untill now? And I don't talk about stuff like planning things for release because that only matter if we ever reach that targeted release state of the game.

Because I get the feeling that MrXLink's attitude is a little too optimistic here. It's totally fine to have a disagreement when it comes to a person's point of view regarding game design but he should know that without a capable developer those design ideas are no more but in your head. So I really need to question his stubborness when he would rather let the main developer leave this project instead of relent to some design ideas that might not originally be supposed to be in the development.

I don't know if this topic is the actual reason for Kubik's decision but I know it played a pretty big role in the past so I suspect it has something to do with it now as well.

Kubik,

I am sorry to see you go.

Thank you for all your hard work.

I hope you will reconsider and return as a developer in the near future.

8 hours ago, Chibiterasu said:

How much work in percent did Kubik do in this game up untill now?

That is very hard question to determine, percentage of what?
If it should be percentage of code used it would be very close to 100%, anything else I have no idea how would you like to measure it.

4 hours ago, macabi said:

I hope you will reconsider and return as a developer in the near future.

Most probably not. Team chose MrXLink over me with words that: "it is much easier to find a capable developer, than any designer, so MrXLink can not leave because then there would be no one to design the BFP system. And even if it would end up the oposite way and MrXLink would leave, they would not like me for kickim him out." So only option I see is to continue without MrXLink, and SR team.