Possible Fixes to the Upgrade Tab

Eirias

If you have a lot of upgrades, you may have noticed that opening the upgrade tab in your inventory causes a severe slowdown of the game. That's because each upgrade counts as a unique card, and BattleForge's card sorting algorithm is terrible.

The proposal is a fix that will prevent the upgrades tab from showing "used" upgrades. In other words, when you click the upgrade tab, you will now only see the upgrades which have not been applied to cards. This will stop your game from freezing when you open the upgrade tab with many upgrades.

27 minutes ago, Kubik said:

terible would be with best case `O(n²)`, but this is worse than `O(n³)`

MrXLink said he want the game in unchanged state, so convince him (and rest of team) this is good change, becaus balancing cards is not in his opinion.

@MrXLink has never said that he wants the game completely unchanged. After all, we are adding a quest/achievement system, removed elements, removed 1bfp booster, allowed upgrades by gold, and many other quality-of-life improvements. 

This improvement is a similar quality-of-life improvement, with almost no negative consequences. Even getting away from P2W, some players complained that they had to grind instead of just buying cards.

MrXLink has only said that he doesn't want card balance changes to happen until the full release. This is not a balance change.

Ladadoos likes this

2 hours ago, MephistoRoss said:

Wait, wasn't this already fixed with a filter that only shows unapplied upgrades? 

Yes, but it still takes forever to load the upgrades even if you have that filter. I guess it has to sort all the upgrade cards and then doesn't show the applied upgrades.

So I still freeze for several seconds if I accidentally click that tab.

I see no valid reason why this shouldn't be done.

From what I can tell, virtually nobody could tell a difference. This is a quality of life improvement that should have been there to begin with the launch of the game.

Edited by ImaginaryNumb3r

3 hours ago, LEBOVIN said:

Well we lose a feature dont we? Cant we set it to the filter option that doesnt show all by default? So no long load time if u accidentially click on it?

Well, you can individually do that. But it doesn't matter, load times are still slow even if the filter is on. I just checked with a stopwatch and got 4.3 seconds. Ofc I probably have more upgrades than the average player, but I'm nowhere near having all upgrades (less than half the cards have any upgrades). 41 Unapplied upgrades, so it's definitely looking through the 600 applied upgrades I have.

5 secs is not a big deal but Kubik wanted someone to make this poll before he did it :)

Edited by Eirias

Well I understood it in a way that we remove a filter option. Or we remove the entire upgrade tab? Cause well if u get lag for the unapplied Filter then same lack should be there for someone who has all applied and even worse for show all upgrades 

Edited by LEBOVIN

to be honest I did not look in game if there is filter option :P

I mean filter on server side so the game will not even know you have some upgreades that are applied, that filter in game would be irrelevant then and (probably) should be removed, because it would not work.

The thing is, it can go both ways. Either it lags cause one has all upgrades applied: then the overview that shows applied will lag or the other way around if u have almost no applied but many acquired the unapplied will lag. So I don’t see the Point in removing only one of them, as they are equally lag inducing. The point is, if that feature is barely used by people, why bother with it lagging, when some that like to use it might not mind it lagging. If it is just for convenience that if someone that doesn’t use the feature doesn’t get a 4 second lag if he accidentally clicks on it, then I would suggest to instead give them the option to disable their upgrade tab in the user menu. 

if there is filter option in the UI it first sort them, then filter them, so lag is similar for everyone just based on how much upgrades you have, and how fast is you CPU (single core performance available matter, 32 cores do not help here)

so the originally  proposed change of disabling just one of those filter options is not gonna do a thing anyway? 

if that’s the case then I prefer the individual solution that you can disable your own upgrade tab instead of straight up removing it for everyone

Edited by LEBOVIN

On 3/10/2020 at 6:13 PM, Eirias said:

@MrXLink has never said that he wants the game completely unchanged.  MrXLink has only said that he doesn't want card balance changes to happen until the full release. This is not a balance change.

This.

Understandable to make that mistake, though, since I did say I want the BF balance state to be the same upon release and then start working on balance changes so the game is on vanilla balance for a reasonable time so returning players can experience the cards and such as they were before we start to improve. I never expanded this reasoning to anything beyond card/game balance.

As for the original post's request, I see no reason why we shouldn't implement this. The upgrades a player has equipped are already conveyed through a card's upgrade lines, so in the rare case that someone would need to know whether they have an applied upgrade they could just look up the card instead. This is just a very straightforward QoL change that I'm more than fine with having implemented ASAP.

it works "just fine" on the test server :( you could test it that unaplied upgrades are vissible, and it fixed the problem discussed, but no one ask how this ****** game handles upgrade page and claim upgrade page :(

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, Zyna said:

We greatly improved the perfomance. The functionality will remain the same. The changes will soon be rolled out on test server.

Oh cool :)

Btw something I just noticed today was a lot of lag and hanging when I wanted to change decks. Usually it's like a second or two, but today it was like several seconds every time. Any changes that would have affected that?

2 hours ago, Eirias said:

Oh cool :)

Btw something I just noticed today was a lot of lag and hanging when I wanted to change decks. Usually it's like a second or two, but today it was like several seconds every time. Any changes that would have affected that?

The change is only for the upgrade tab. When exactly are you lagging? When you open the window where you can see all your decks? Or when you actually switch between the decks?

8 hours ago, Zyna said:

The change is only for the upgrade tab. When exactly are you lagging? When you open the window where you can see all your decks? Or when you actually switch between the decks?

Both parts haha. But mostly when I open the window. i added like 3-4 new decks this week when I started noticing the issue, but then I deleted them so I guess it's not related to having to load too many decks?