Open Source the Launcher for Linux and Mac

Matombo

So the main problem running Skylords reborn through wine is the launcher because it requires .net.

My suggestion is to open source the lancher or release an update-api-documentation so that someone can write a Linux and Mac compatible launcher.

Please elaborate more.

Would open up every single abusing possibility

Abusing the launcher i can only imagin ddos the server or replacing credits.
Without having looked into the launcher: first i can imagin would also be easily possible by finding the server url/ip with wireshark.
For second: one could just replace strings and/or images in the assembled binary, would not be perfect but good enough.

insight in ours and Battleforge's architecture

Is there are reason why you are protective about the update and login process?

9 hours ago, fiki574 said:

Unfortunately, not gonna happen. Would open up every single abusing possibility, plus you would have an insight in ours and Battleforge's architecture.

I explained it right here, I'm sorry but it seems like you don't understand even the basic concepts of guaranteed security issues caused by proposed open sourcing. 

Auction house bot, PvE farming bot, chat message spamming, ingame mail spamming, group request spamming, show deck request spamming... the list goes on. Don't even get me started on what's wrong with exposing client part of authentication process. 

On 2/5/2020 at 3:15 PM, Matombo said:

So the main problem running Skylords reborn through wine is the launcher because it requires .net.

My suggestion is to open source the lancher or release an update-api-documentation so that someone can write a Linux and Mac compatible launcher.

If someone is skilled enough and wants to make a compatible launcher, he should apply to join our team as developer. 

On 2/7/2020 at 3:08 PM, Kubik said:

:thinking: are you talking about same application? @Matombo

Maybe not, thanks for pointing it out.

To claryfy: I was talking about the new updater that is written with .net 4.61. The launcher i think works fine.

On 2/7/2020 at 9:59 PM, fiki574 said:

I explained it right here, I'm sorry but it seems like you don't understand even the basic concepts of guaranteed security issues caused by proposed open sourcing. 

Auction house bot, PvE farming bot, chat message spamming, ingame mail spamming, group request spamming, show deck request spamming... the list goes on. Don't even get me started on what's wrong with exposing client part of authentication process. 

I was not talking about open sourcing the whole project, but only specifically the the SkylordsRebornUpdater.exe
I don't think that has anything to do with auction house, chat, etc.

On 2/8/2020 at 11:45 AM, MephistoRoss said:

If someone is skilled enough and wants to make a compatible launcher, he should apply to join our team as developer. 

If one could apply to just doing that? Maybe I can find a free weekend.

3 hours ago, Matombo said:

Maybe not, thanks for pointing it out.

To claryfy: I was talking about the new updater that is written with .net 4.61. The launcher i think works fine.

I was not talking about open sourcing the whole project, but only specifically the the SkylordsRebornUpdater.exe
I don't think that has anything to do with auction house, chat, etc.

If one could apply to just doing that? Maybe I can find a free weekend.

My bad then, I was talking about Launcher.exe, which holds the stuff I mentioned. Updater, as far as I know, does not have any sensitive data apart from our endpoints from which it downloads the game files. Best bet would be to wait Aviator and/or Hawk, since they made it and maintain it.

27 minutes ago, InsaneHawk said:

It's not gonna happen anyway, we're already working on a new version of that same updater that will be compatible with all OS. 

That's great to hear! Thanks

PS.: I'm not convinced by the security through obscurity aproach to stop hackers, but lets hope for the best ^^.