How to get back a decent player base?

Taker

Hey, 

I just wondering if there will ever be a decent player base again. 
Because currently there are almost no players online most of the time. 

It feels like there are actually like 100 people out of that 59711 forum members, who are actively play the game right now. 
Im, beside the necessary quests to get cards and upgrades, a PvP only player. Even as the player base was at its best there were like "only" 20-25 players at the PvP-Ground. 
So a proper matchmaking wasnt even possible there. Today, when i start the game, im almost every single time the only player at pvp-grounds.
Dont get me wrong, I am super happy to be able to play this great game again, but for me it feels like we missed the time to reach enough people to ever get a decent player base again. 

So my question now, is there any plan to promote and advertise this game on release? And if yes, what is it? 

This is not ment to be offensive or something, i thank everybody who made it possible to play this game again.

LagOps, Strider and Emmaerzeh like this

only about 10% play, and unfortunately they do not play at same time mostly :(

Many say they are waiting for the reset (especially from the PvP side).

There are some plans to cooperate with streamers after release, but I was not much interested in details (yet).

"0 infos given" :thinking: are you on discord? There is a lot of info.

"Also all Social Media Accounts are dead since Stress Test start" :thinking: I responding to question here on forum, and on discord all that time.

"You cant reach players by hiding" :thinking: why you think I am hiding?

"The rumors about the reset" :thinking: what rumors?

Iam on discord, and even there is like 0 progress infos, updates have basically no changelog and so on, earlier under fiki we had somehow progress bars atleast, which kept the hope alive.

My mates dont use discord for several reasons.

How should I know about the forum or the discord, when I cant find anything about Skylords outside of it? Makes no sense to me.

Like I said there are 0 infos on when or even if the reset will happen, lots of people already stopped testing because of that.

LagOps likes this

Like @Taker im thankfull you bring the game back. Every suggestion is meant constructive.

Let's gather some ideas. 

1. Ask gaming-youtubers to make a video about skylords. We should decide carefully on who to ask. And we must write a good text to point out that this is our loved game not a comertial interest.

2. Support or/and organize pvp and pve tournaments. 

3. Support map makers, so at least old players not leave cause there is no new content.

4. Not wait with balancechanges. The game is flawed so why let new players experience the flaws. Just use the main server as testserver and change cards back to normal or to different change if the changes are not good. 

5. Maybe the devs shoud search a promotion person who takes care of that topic. It could be a lot of work at least in the phase some months after release. 

Maybe I have more ideas I'll add later. 

Edited by Karl Lavafeld
LagOps and Kubik like this

https://trello.com/b/4HFfIUCA/skylords-reborn @chargeR here you have trello board, can you tell me how to represent these as progress bars?

No offence to Fiki but these progress bars were not very accurate, he tried to make estimates but unless you know the full scope how you can create a realistic progress bar?

@Karl Lavafeld

1.) We do not want too much attention to the game until it will be in more representable state, because people will judge it based on how they see it at first, and never visit it again

2.) We do not want to create a feeling that we reward players, and then take the rewards from them at release. (Maybe we can revise this though)

3.) We do not want to create a feeling that we reward players, and then take the rewards from them at release. Maybe we can revise this though, do you have any other possible support in mind?

4.) "reason hidden until agreed how to formulate it", but balance changes are on my list just second after "new" BFP distributing system.

5.) No plan for that, fist I will see what the team have (as mentioned in point 1.) before I consider some actions in this area.

Edited by Kubik

I am also waiting to come back when there is more player activity being a PVP player as well. The stress test happened when I was too busy with other things in life. It will be a tough road to get the population back to any sustainable level and will require something drastic. The fact that everyone working on it is doing it on a volunteer basis it makes this goal even harder. 

Every discord feels so disconnected from everything else. It is definitely not a marketing tool but good for active discussions.

LagOps likes this

On 1/13/2020 at 11:49 PM, Kubik said:

Many say they are waiting for the reset (especially from the PvP side).

There are some plans to cooperate with streamers after release, but I was not much interested in details (yet).

I stopped playing a while ago due to confirmation of a future reset.  I love this game especially the challenging PVE, but do not want to put time into something that will be reset and lost.  I also would like the ability to buy packs and rip open those Mountaineers!  However, we can't do that yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a big RTS fan since 2003 and I have played all the major RTS games since then.

I played Battlforge since day one when it was released in 2009 and continued to play it daily until closure in 2013.

I always read news about upcoming RTS games and I am subscribed to PC Gamer magazine.

I always watch YouTube to find out information about upcoming RTS games.

Yet, I found out about Skylords only two weeks ago.

It was mentioned briefly for about 3 seconds at the end of a 25 minute long Youtube video about upcoming RTS games.

So I have no doubt we can have many more players joining Skylords if players only knew about it.

I would highly recommend to the developers to send some press information about the game to PC Gamer magazine as well as other magazines in Europe.

They have special section after the reviews about mods and old games.

Such publicity can bring in many new gamers.

Regarding the game being in Beta, I have encounters no issues with the game other then a few Internet disconnects that kicked me out of the game.

I had similar experience with this issue when Battleforge was alive.

So in my opinion Skylords is stable enough to accept new players in great numbers (assuming the server can support that).

Edited by macabi
Emmaerzeh likes this

Well I actually speak with few and they said they do not want to publish it until there will be final release date.

I did not even ask them to, it was one of first things they tell me.

Is there any reason I am not avare of why should we get more players before release?

:thinking: to who did you send logs for those disconnects?

You are more lucky than you know if you really have only few disconnects.

On 1/14/2020 at 2:12 AM, Taker said:

Hey, 

I just wondering if there will ever be a decent player base again. 

After wipe and after more marketing from youtuber and streamer like halis, Eirias,Radical x, battleforge creators's guild, the skylord reborn channel, and many more... There are tons of people who promise to return after the wipe..

6 hours ago, Kubik said:

Well I actually speak with few and they said they do not want to publish it until there will be final release date.

I did not even ask them to, it was one of first things they tell me.

Is there any reason I am not avare of why should we get more players before release?

:thinking: to who did you send logs for those disconnects?

You are more lucky than you know if you really have only few disconnects.

Currently it's very hard to find players to join a co-up PvE campaign or random PvE.

It's also hard to find players to join PvP games.

So if the developers want more problem logs to be sent to them than we need more players.

I have been playing couple of hours every day for the past two weeks and I have experience only one disconnect during a game when I had to step out for a few minutes, that's it.

Where do I find the log with information about disconnects? 

In your documents folder is folder Battleforge, and inside that is folder Diag with logs.

Well actively searching for players is double edge weapon, because 60% players experience crashes, based on recent questionnaire. So if new player join and will not be able to finish single game because of crashes he might leave and never come back, and even create negative advertisement for us because of that. And many people do not care if the game is in alpha, beta, or release stage the bad reviews will stay forever.

And if 60% have crashes and 2% send at least some logs...

10 hours ago, Kubik said:

In your documents folder is folder Battleforge, and inside that is folder Diag with logs.

Well actively searching for players is double edge weapon, because 60% players experience crashes, based on recent questionnaire. So if new player join and will not be able to finish single game because of crashes he might leave and never come back, and even create negative advertisement for us because of that. And many people do not care if the game is in alpha, beta, or release stage the bad reviews will stay forever.

And if 60% have crashes and 2% send at least some logs...

I get your point.

However, I am still convinced we need more players since it's very hard to find PvP or PvE games.

90% of the time I wait for 5+ minutes for ranked PvP game and nobody shows up.

Unranked PvP is also empty most of the time.

Back in the Battleforge days I enjoyed PvP the most and 3v3 were a blast.

So NOT being able to play PvP is a discouragement.

Therefore, I hope the development team advertised the game a little more so we can add a few more players to the beta phase. 

On 1/30/2020 at 6:20 PM, macabi said:

Do you have a rough idea/estimate when the Open Beta may start?

I am sure you don't want to commit so I wonder if it is going to happen this year or next year?

@fiki574 @Kubik @MrXLink I guess many if not everyone in the community would like to know the answer to above.
Any chance you could put our minds at ease? Or is there no forseeable release date targeted yet?
Thanks in advance.