Is a hard reset really needed?

ktoeto

I wonder what's the point of a hard reset, there're not enough people who play the game anyway, and this might make it even worse. Furthermore, I don't think anyone cares at this point that early beta testers got to play the game earlier and thus got more cards.

So, if there's a real reason, i would like to know it.

Thoughts?

4000 people is not enough for you? And what about people that say they are waiting for the reset?

Have you looked at AH prices recently? New players can not buy much there because cards are priced for players with 10 000 BFP or more.

Do you really mean more cards, or all cards, and fully upgraded, so they can use all the BFP they get to manipulate market in any way they want?

I will not list technical reasons, because no one want to hear those.

Tanktiger, sando and MrDanilov like this

But sadly the Wipe Won’t change this permanently, it is just a one time temporary solution. The gap to new players will always be there and eventually prices skyrocket again. Probably they won’t even go down cause players are just used to put them in for a hell of a lot.

Pritstift likes this

I would appreciate a small bonus after reset for the main player base that was going through the open stress test all the time and worked together with the skylords reborn team even with the knowledge that there will be a reset.

This could be rated on different values you are already recording for each player (e.g. played matches, time online and so on).

I hate the players that just wait for the reset and doing nothing helpful - they just flame for the date of the reset and dont see why things need to be tested and adjusted first. Even with just some games per week they could support. After the reset these will be the players that still will not play a lot and will flame about problems they may face with the game or the new market mechanics to earn bfp.

The Bonus could be a single card or a booster or maybe you could choose one card out of a pool - something like this. There are a lot of options regarding cards, bfp or gold that would be fair and could give some starting motivation for the main player base to start from 0 again and to say thank you for the continoues support. For sure we also have to say thank you to your work and the project itself.

LEBOVIN, Kubik and LagOps like this

Personally, I don't see the point of the reset. I mainly play to be in the top ranking of RPVE. Find the right tactic and the right card deck.

I will have no fun trying to start from the beginning only to get the cards I need. So the reset risks in my case to be an end in itself.

Ponni likes this

@Kybaka Well the reset was promised to the number of x people out there that are expected to play afterwards.

But with this project’s history of promised releases a more graspable number of players surely wouldn’t mind another broken promise ... ;)

Edited by LEBOVIN

As said earlier, there is absolutely no point in it. It's only made because the developers want it, which is kinda absurd to me. Maybe i'm wrong but I don't see even 1 good excuse for it except the typical

" a lot of people want it ", which also doesn't seem too true, because the majority (over 90%) doesn't want it.

If that's for technical reasons, if possible I would like to hear them.

Edited by ktoeto
Spelling

On 1/3/2020 at 3:42 AM, ktoeto said:

there're not enough people who play the game anyway

I repeat it:

On 1/3/2020 at 5:03 AM, Kubik said:

4000 people is not enough for you?

early beta testers got to play the game earlier and thus got more cards.

And what about people that left because they got all the cards and completed all the maps? These should be forced out from the game forever?

But if you really want technical reasons:
Do you know what the database is? Have you ever tried to change primary key while there was milions of data? It is not possible to do it live.
There is much more smaller things in DB that should be changed, that would be much easier with empty DB. And to these changes there are related server changes.

If all these changes will be done at once they will be untested, so it is possible that the servers will not even start after reset, but some people does not seem to care about that.

Have you at least try MrXLink's BFP distribution system? Do you like it? Or do you prefere the current one?
In my opinion there is no way any BFP distribution system will work if we let players keep milions of BFP. If you think it can explain how on following example:
Player with lot of BFP decide to sell cards for 20 times more expensive than anyone else, to do that he buy all cheaper cards, and he can do that, he have BFP for it.

And last point to not have too long post. How many % of players do you think experience more than 1 crash per day?

sando and MrDanilov like this

First of all, I don't think having all the cards and complete all the missions locks you out of the game. Battleforge is known to have many ways to have fun aka PvE, PvP, trading and even speedrunning.
I would actually say that the game starts at the point where you have all the necessary cards for playing.

As for the technical part, thanks for sharing the ins and outs of why it is needed, I understood it and totally agree on it.

I indeed took a look at Link's system which doesn't look too appealing to me, because its meaning is to make players obtain bfp and cards at a much slower rate, thus reaching the point of a player having all the cards and tons of bfp in a super long period of time. Now there're pros and cons for it, however in my humble opinion the cons are much bigger.

I don't like to assume things when doing arguments, but from my huge bf experience 90% of the players aren't looking for the trading aspect only and would much more likely have cards accessible to play the modes they want, because let's be real, you can't play PvP or PvE on a high level with bad cards and need at least a good and stable deck with enough upgrades. This will be possible after around a couple of months of playing with Link's system if not more, and you also need to play quite a lot. So, let's say a PvP or PvE player would need to literally grind it out for months before playing what he likes.

I understand the need of reserving the trading and the market in Battleforge, however don't let it the bigger power over the other modes which are considerable more played.

8 minutes ago, ktoeto said:

I would actually say that the game starts at the point where you have all the necessary cards for playing.

:thinking: then why people already left saying they got everything, and that there is nothing else to do for them.
also :thinking: why much less people play on test server, where they start with all cards?
My answer to this is that game ends for many players at that pont.

You probably did not look at MrXLink's system good enough, it allow players that play a lot to get BFP much faster than now.

Players on average did 35,6 AH transactions, median is 0 AH transactions. Maximum is 10241 AH transactions done by single player. Actually 62,71% of players did not buy, or sell anything in AH. Only 4065 players(8,1%) did over 100 AH transactions. Only 9114 players(18,2%) did over 30 AH transactions.

5 hours ago, Kubik said:

also :thinking: why much less people play on test server, where they start with all cards?

my answer to that was

5 hours ago, LEBOVIN said:

@Kubik the Test Server is not advertised enough!

and now u say this :thinking:

5 hours ago, Kubik said:

why would ve advertise it?

----

5 hours ago, Kubik said:

Who want to join will join, who do not want to, will not be forced to by advetisement.

advertisement is not coercion...

----

Many people simply don't know about the test server. And those few that do know don't play there cause there is barely anybody online ... a vicious cycle.

Simply unlock all campaign on test server and you can truthfully promise people an account on test server where their progress will NEVER be wiped (cause they cannot progress as they have everything :D) and maybe we can reverse the cycle then ;) 

Edited by LEBOVIN

I think you are confused on the goal of the test server lebovin. It is meant to test new features and bug fixes that have a big impact and might need some fine tuning before we bring it to the normal server. 

It is not meant to split up the community so that people who want all cards/no progression always play on the test server. The community is small enough as it is, we don't want it to become even harder to find pvp matches/team mates.

So we only advertise the test server when there is something to be tested. 

2 hours ago, LEBOVIN said:

I suggested a second purpose cause kubik wondered why nobody is playing there ...

Its true what Lebo was saying - to test some new things out it would be sometimes better to have the full map pool available. For me its no fun to test the new BFP-reward system with the starter-maps in standard or advanced mode. Even if i play there a bit  a reset can happen later - progress is gone and i have to do the same on testserver again. We have all the cards - so in consequence it would be also nice to have all the maps. I dont think there is a high risk that we will split the community...may the players that just wait for reset will find some kind of motiviation to play at this place.

Edited by Pritstift
wanky likes this

I just can't leave this uncommentated, cuz I have to bring a complete another point of view to that topic - my view:
I'm looking forward to this reset, cuz I'm one of these guys who have fun by starting all over and over again. ^^ Playing every Class to lvl 30 in WoW before entering the endgame, thats my style - and for sure representitive for lots of others :P
I'm logging into the game from time to time since the first Discord announcement a couple of months ago and am dissapointed every time I see that the reset is STILL goin to happen...

Btw - i recognized this thread cuz I wanted to know if the time for this will ever come - glad to see it will!
Have fun by continueing to disccuss that ^^
Chilli

Edit:
And my comment to the 4k Players:
I know I will loose anything I get if I play now - so why should I? Guess how much people think this way...

Edited by Chillfaktor

4000 people is not much when you're into PvP. It's hard to even find a partner for sparring games, not to mention the ladder.

That said, i've been able to make some of my friends play the game, and they likes it, but they feel, they want to wait for the reset before they start to invest more time. (and i fear, when the reset comes, they may even be gone for good) I myself have not been playing as much lately, as grinding feels pointless.

11 hours ago, Chillfaktor said:

I just can't leave this uncommentated, cuz I have to bring a complete another point of view to that topic - my view:
I'm looking forward to this reset, cuz I'm one of these guys who have fun by starting all over and over again. ^^ Playing every Class to lvl 30 in WoW before entering the endgame, thats my style - and for sure representitive for lots of others :P
I'm logging into the game from time to time since the first Discord announcement a couple of months ago and am dissapointed every time I see that the reset is STILL goin to happen...

Btw - i recognized this thread cuz I wanted to know if the time for this will ever come - glad to see it will!
Have fun by continueing to disccuss that ^^
Chilli

Edit:
And my comment to the 4k Players:
I know I will loose anything I get if I play now - so why should I? Guess how much people think this way...

That's actually great we're hearing some new insight and another point, but I still wonder.. are there a lot of people who have the same interest as you?

9 hours ago, Adita said:

4000 people is not much when you're into PvP. It's hard to even find a partner for sparring games, not to mention the ladder.

That said, i've been able to make some of my friends play the game, and they likes it, but they feel, they want to wait for the reset before they start to invest more time. (and i fear, when the reset comes, they may even be gone for good) I myself have not been playing as much lately, as grinding feels pointless.

Currently it looks like the stuff of Skylords Reborn neglected the PvP totally, but I hope in the future we'll see some improvements since as of right now PvP is dead.

I wonder what's the point of a hard reset, there're not enough people who play the game anyway, and this might make it even worse. Furthermore, I don't think anyone cares at this point that early beta testers got to play the game earlier and thus got more cards.

So, if there's a real reason, i would like to know it.

Thoughts?

there is a big difference tho, you know when you join the beta that there is a hard reset coming at some point, why try to change that when it was told from day one?
if you dont agree to the therms of the beta why signe up then instead of waiting for the release?

37 minutes ago, korsbaek said:

there is a big difference tho, you know when you join the beta that there is a hard reset coming at some point, why try to change that when it was told from day one?
if you dont agree to the therms of the beta why signe up then instead of waiting for the release?

What you're saying absolutely makes no sense btw, because i'm not trying to argue with the developers about what they need to do, i'm trying to give them my thoughts so they maybe change their mind instead - aka convince them and not argue with them. Also, I hope you do realise that the point of this test phase is TO TEST, if all the guys like you are just saying some bs like "just don't play", why even have this phase, you know? It is made to be played on.

1 minute ago, ktoeto said:

What you're saying absolutely makes no sense btw, because i'm not trying to argue with the developers about what they need to do, i'm trying to give them my thoughts so they maybe change their mind instead - aka convince them and not argue with them. Also, I hope you do realise that the point of this test phase is TO TEST, if all the guys like you are just saying some bs like "just don't play", why even have this phase, you know? It is made to be played on.

1 im not saying not to play im saying to wait into after the testing is done so there are no resets and the game is ready to play, there is a difference.
2. why try to change their minds? makes no sense as its a beta and generally when you end a beta and go over to retail(or what you would call it) you make a rest for everybody and they start over.
3. you said it yourself the Beta is to test nothing more nothing less.
4. we have this phase to test the game but if you dont like the rules under witch the test is conducted then you should not test the game but wait into the finished version is ready so you wont have the problem with the rests

do you understand now?

I think you do not quite understand honestly, I don't care that there is a reset happening for everything except the cards. No matter what the stuff is going to do, people are still going to achieve all of the cards quite fast and the prices are still gonna be super unstable because there are just not enough players in the game right now. I don't really understand much in the technical part of things, so if there is an absolute need in the restart, let it be, but if there isn't and there is a way to keep the cards, and not start all over again and waste months just to play what you want on a high level then it should be at least considered. The changes are favored for people who just play super casually and not invest too much into the game, but shitts really hard on the ones that do invest a lot of time in it both PvP and PvE wise.

Pritstift likes this