Balance Proposal: Curse Well

Hirooo

Curse Well

Card Changes:

• Energy Cost increased to 200

Discussed card changes:
Curse Well is a very one dimensional card that removes all defensive options as soon as an enemy gets spell presence around a power well. While a counter attack with a temporary 150 energy advantage is a strong downside for wide spread use of Curse Well, the card is very oppressive in the match ups it’s used in. Because of that a multitude of rework ideas was discussed.
While the card offers little interaction besides the temporary power disadvantage the alternative isn't exciting either. The match ups where Curse Well is currently strong in are those that have trouble translating tempo advantages into well kicks. Shadow Frost mirrors are a good example for that. If Curse Well becomes completely unplayable due to nerfs or no longer serves the same role due to reworks, the match up could easily end up at a state where you expect 30 minute score wins to happen. Compared to that scenario having a sudden death mechanic in Curse Well is by far the better option.
We have the overall goal to reach a sate where tier 3 game play is highly interactive and does not easily lead to 30 minute games even without Curse Well. This would make the function, Curse Well fills, obsolete. But since we are a long way from that, the damage reworking Curse Well would do to the match ups its used in, isn’t justifiable. Once a better tier 3 balance is reached we will revisit Curse Well for a rework.

Chosen card changes:
We still want to limit the use case for Curse Well only to decks that aim to close out highly defensive match ups. For that we chose to increase the temporary disadvantage the application produces.

A 33,33% cost increase (and higher void loss) sounds a bit over the top, and would destroy the usefulness for all decks. I think there are only 2 Decks in which cursed well can be an issue and that is Shadow/Frost and Pure Frost since they are able to stale a game a long time and that even with temporary disadvantages and i think there the main issue is mostly Timeless One and shield Builduing. All other Decks have better nuke potential or can not defend the temporary disadvantage that easy. I like that it ignores defensive options and that also seems like the only real purpose of that card to break very defensive players that just want to stale for years.

Cursed well seems like a cheap card since it is not much necessary to get advantages out of it, what i hate the most when i played Cursed Well was when the cooldown kicked in since it was a dead slot and my offensive potential was a lot weaker. 
-So maybe an additional cooldown and a change for Timeless One (what would be anyway necessary) would be already fine to balance that card in a healthy way.  

But a good balancing would be if more is needed than a simple push of a button and a bit of defending to get an advantage. But i have no good idea how to change it in such a way. 

Trading 200 temporary power disadvantage for a permanent 80 power advange is still pretty good.

This card has 0 interactivity. You use it and will always drop a well. Only thing to do is try to drop a well in exchange. Personally, even if I drop a well, it still feel sour that I had to do all that work to accomplish what my opponent did in 1 click.

Basicly curse well allow you to win while staying on the deffence. It's cancer and should be reworked/removed.

15 hours ago, indubitablement said:

Trading 200 temporary power disadvantage for a permanent 80 power advange is still pretty good.

This card has 0 interactivity. You use it and will always drop a well. Only thing to do is try to drop a well in exchange. Personally, even if I drop a well, it still feel sour that I had to do all that work to accomplish what my opponent did in 1 click.

Basicly curse well allow you to win while staying on the deffence. It's cancer and should be reworked/removed.

There were plenty of other ideas available. Many of those might be better, but aren't feasible to be implemented right now. Increasing the power cost and thereby also decreasing the difference in permanent power loss is a temporary solution and not a final decision. The card will be revised once we have more possibilities available.

• 9 months later...

Since we're talking about this again, I want to re-iterate my suggestion: turn curse well into a "disenchant well."

Make it function like purple disenchant but just for wells. When you play it on the enemy well, it loses any existing building protects and can't be protected again for X secs. Maybe we can start with 100 power and 15 sec curse time.

This would allow it to be used as a counter to break through frost defense, while not being useful in other scenarios. Lost souls players can't just enter really high power levels, defend and slowly snipe enemy wells with curse well. They'd have to be able to kick the well too.

ulvfdfgtmk likes this

• Zyna unpinned this topic