Skylords Reborn on OSX/Linux via Wine!

Ultrakool

hey Lordakius, hab gesehen das du deutscher bist. Hb seit 3 tagen ein Mac book pro. könntest du mir mal eben einmal schritt für schritt erklären was ich jz machen muss. ist mir hier zu unübersichtich geworden. Battle Force ist so ein Nostalgie Spiel für mich.
Danke schon mal im voraus.

@Lordakiussaw that you are German. Have a Mac book pro for 3 days. could you just explain to me step by step what i have to do now. has become too confusing for me here. Battle Force is such a nostalgia game for me.

Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, Lucas9987 said:

hey Lordakius, hab gesehen das du deutscher bist. Hb seit 3 tagen ein Mac book pro. könntest du mir mal eben einmal schritt für schritt erklären was ich jz machen muss. ist mir hier zu unübersichtich geworden. Battle Force ist so ein Nostalgie Spiel für mich.

@Lordakius

Please post an English translation

16 hours ago, Lucas9987 said:

@Lordakiussaw that you are German. Have a Mac book pro for 3 days. could you just explain to me step by step what i have to do now. has become too confusing for me here. Battle Force is such a nostalgia game for me.

Thank you in advance.

I am not using mac, so no idea what exactly has to be done. Either use lutris (tho no idea if lutris is available under mac -- worst case you could build it yourself i guess) or just follow OPs instructions.

3 hours ago, Breimatscher said:

Is there a way to make the change of config.json permanent? After each launch i have to delete the max shader line again.

If you are using lutris you can add a prelaunch script, that does this change (or you can write a custom start script if you are not using lutris)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 1:12 PM, Lordakius said:

If you are using lutris you can add a prelaunch script, that does this change

And how do I do this?

Edit: I found a walkaround myself.

Just make the config.json a "just readable" file in the options. (I mean  after you deleted maxshader of course)

Edited by HerrDesHimmels

• 1 month later...

For anyone with macOS 10.15 Catalina, Wine will not work out of the box as described here: https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS

But, as the user Leszek Szary wrote in the following link, he managed to run Wine 64 bit and posted a how to: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/373851/how-to-get-wine-working-on-catalina

Additionally he wrote in the Edit section of his comment the alternative of PlayOnMac: https://www.playonmac.com/en/

I for myself actually run Skylords Reborn in a VMware Fusion Virtual Machine. The game runs fine, but I will try PlayOnMac someday for sure.

• 1 month later...

Since the latest update from 23.May 2021 I can no longer login to the game, it just says "Connection failed".

In Documents/BattleForge/Diag/_log_proxy_x.log there is a new error message "launcher connecting error 1: Failed to open \Device\Afd\Mio: File not Found. (os error 2)" which was not present before. Maybe this is related to https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50520 ?

Edited by mx2

5 hours ago, mx2 said:

Since the latest update from 23.May 2021 I can no longer login to the game, it just says "Connection failed".

In Documents/BattleForge/Diag/_log_proxy_x.log there is a new error message "launcher connecting error 1: Failed to open \Device\Afd\Mio: File not Found. (os error 2)" which was not present before. Maybe this is related to https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50520 ?

I am getting this too on OSX 

2 hours ago, Lchf said:

I am getting this too on OSX 

7 hours ago, mx2 said:

Could you please re-try? We rolled out an update that might have fixed this issue.

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I improved the Lutris installer for Skylords Reborn. It should now work much better once the new installer gets accepted (for now you can use the following Lutris link to use this installer: lutris:skylords-reborn?revision=79253). The changes are as follows:

- Don't install d3dx9, d3d9compiler_43 and d3d9compiler_47 alongside d9vk (as stressed by the release notes: https://github.com/Joshua-Ashton/d9vk/releases). Otherwise the game won't render correctly. This especially affects the in-game UI, but in general anything that relies on alpha blending.
- Add the following registry key to the Windows registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Avalon.Graphics/DisableHWAcceleration with type DWORD and value 1. This disables hardware acceleration for WPF and ensures that the updater renders correctly. Before this change the updater would render noise, the original frame before the window was created or show a black window unless you started moving it around, or anything else that causes the graphics to refresh.
- Remove the dependency on lutris-5.7-1-x86_64. It should now default to latest, which is lutris-fshack-6.14-4-x86_64. This ensures winetricks is up-to-date with the latest fixes. One of those fixes is related to the deadlock that would sometimes occur when trying to install dotnet461, which required you to cancel the installation, run it again and pray that it would not run into a deadlock again. That issue is now fixed, which means this should now install and work out of the box.

Edited by Synthrea
Link rendering does not work for Lutris links.
Metagross31 and Aviat0r like this

• 1 month later...

I tried using the lutris installer, but it fails at setting up dxvk

Log:

Started initial process 74580 from /home/ineluki/.local/share/lutris/runtime/winetricks/winetricks --unattended d9vk
Start monitoring process.
Executing mkdir -p /media/ineluki/ssd1/Lutris
Using winetricks 20210206-next - sha256sum: 87dabceee91cbb4c58928d3ddeee57449e591df1b1e7f6011b2eec80e5047eda with wine-6.21.r0.g63c3baa9 ( TkG Staging Esync Fsync ) and WINEARCH=win32
Unknown arg d9vk
Usage: /home/ineluki/.local/share/lutris/runtime/winetricks/winetricks [options] [command|verb|path-to-verb] ...
Executes given verbs.  Each verb installs an application or changes a setting.

Options:
    --country=CC      Set country code to CC and don't detect your IP address
-f, --force           Don't check whether packages were already installed
    --gui             Show gui diagnostics even when driven by commandline
    --isolate         Install each app or game in its own bottle (WINEPREFIX)
    --self-update     Update this application to the last version
    --update-rollback Rollback the last self update
-k, --keep_isos       Cache isos (allows later installation without disc)
    --no-clean        Don't delete temp directories (useful during debugging)
-q, --unattended      Don't ask any questions, just install automatically
-r, --ddrescue        Retry hard when caching scratched discs
-t  --torify          Run downloads under torify, if available
    --verify          Run (automated) GUI tests for verbs, if available
-v, --verbose         Echo all commands as they are executed
-h, --help            Display this message and exit
-V, --version         Display version and exit

Commands:
list                  list categories
list-all              list all categories and their verbs
apps list             list verbs in category 'applications'
benchmarks list       list verbs in category 'benchmarks'
dlls list             list verbs in category 'dlls'
fonts list            list verbs in category 'fonts'
games list            list verbs in category 'games'
settings list         list verbs in category 'settings'
list-cached           list cached-and-ready-to-install verbs
list-download         list verbs which download automatically
list-manual-download  list verbs which download with some help from the user
list-installed        list already-installed verbs
arch=32|64            create wineprefix with 32 or 64 bit, this option must be
                      given before prefix=foobar and will not work in case of
                      the default wineprefix.
prefix=foobar         select WINEPREFIX=/home/ineluki/.local/share/wineprefixes/foobar
annihilate            Delete ALL DATA AND APPLICATIONS INSIDE THIS WINEPREFIX
Monitored process exited.
Initial process has exited (return code: 256)
Exit with return code 256

Running on kubuntu 20.04, amdgpu, 5.4.0-91-generic

Any idea how this could be fixed? I usually just run most games through steam/proton.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 2:41 PM, Stormking said:

I tried using the lutris installer, but it fails at setting up dxvk

Log:

Running on kubuntu 20.04, amdgpu, 5.4.0-91-generic

Any idea how this could be fixed? I usually just run most games through steam/proton.

This looks like it tries to use the old Lutris installer which tries to install d9vk instead of dxvk. The V02 version from https://lutris.net/games/skylords-reborn/ should fix this.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, mx2 said:

Greeting fellow Linux Skylords,

I wrote a little shell script that replaces the launcher.

To use it, just put the attached file next to the "SkylordsRebornUpdater.exe" and run it.
Finally, launch "BattleForge.exe" manually instead of the launcher.
You may have to add the "-online" option, e.g. "wine Battleforge.exe -online".

Have fun playing Skylords Reborn without all those .NET related launcher issues 🙂

Hi @mx2,

Thank you for your contribution and for taking the initiative to support fellow Linux players with the shell script!

After discussing with the team, I wanted to let you know that we've removed the script from your post for security reasons. However, understanding the value of your work, we've ensured that the script is still accessible. It's now accessible via the updater and is also linked in the download forum post.

Kapo and Metagross31 like this

• 3 months later...