Wish to contribute to the project by donating? Heads up to our Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

BEWARE: Multiaccounting Will Cause Permabans! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ultrakool

New development on Skylords Reborn Mac via Wine!

Hey folks,

Disclaimer: I have tried this method/installation and not managed to make it work, so I’m counting on some Mac genius out there to make it work and perhaps would be willing to make some sort of video guide that would be very(!!) helpful for those of us who aren’t apt with computers.

I have some exciting news to share to you. I have received information that @Fahrazoid has succeeded in running Skylords reborn updater(and therefore BattleForge) via wine! He has been nice enough to pass along the instructions so that you fans on Mac out there can enjoy BattleForge too! Without further ado here are the instructions! You need to paste the lines enclosed by [] to the terminal! Do not include the [] themselves.

1 (optional). Install brew. I believe it would be easier for major amount of users to complete package installation steps via brew. It is simple package manager: https://brew.sh/

2. Install wine and winetricks via brew:

brew install wine

brew install winetricks

3. Create wine 32-bit PREFIX. Prefix - simply is the directory for wine 'virtual windows', based on 32-bit system. (Its good, that launcher was patched to work on x32 ):

[WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 winecfg]

(This creates a hidden directory under User, called .wine32, which includes all the C drive and Program Files stuff and opens configuration window)

4. In configuration window set the Default Settings to Windows 10 version and apply changes. Be aware, that winecfg has to be opened under 32 prefix. If it was accidently closed after 3rd step:

[WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winecfg]

(first part of this command states, which prefix has to be used)

5. Copy all the unpacked files of Battle Forge and Skylords Launcher preferably into the 32 PREFIX folder, into the Program Files. After all the steps were done, i had this setup:

~/.wine32/drive_c/Program Files/BattleForge (all the files were in this folder)

6. Install dotnet461 via winetricks under the 32 PREFIX - It is.NET

[WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winetricks dotnet461]

7. Install vcrun2010, vcrun2012, vcrun2013, vcrun2015 the same way - It is Microsoft Visual

[WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winetricks vcrun2010 (and repeat for other versions)]

8. After installation completes, you can try to run Skylordsreborn Updater (of course under 32 PREFIX), but before you should cd to the BattleForge folder:

cd ~/.wine32/drive_c/Program\ Files/BattleForge WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine SkylordsRebornUpdater.exe

Let me know if it works for you, or any problems you encounter in this thread

Posted (edited)

I tinkered with it too for some time now, 

But i dont manage to run it sucessfully. 

The Patcher Launches without issues but one: I do not see anything in the window, its either totally black, or not visible at all, but there. 

But it is working - when i randomly click on the "window" i can use it - like bottom left the play button maybe ?  , havent seen it so its just a guess - bottom right , the discord button, top right the language changer 

If i click the bottom right corner (dont ask me which button it is) the game window comes up for a split second then crashes

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 00000000 at address 00428269 (thread 0056), starting debugger...

one more information would be interesting - when installing wine via brew, which version of wine gets installed ? 

(I tried it installing in Xubuntu 18.04, via Lutris - with different wine versions) 

Edited by Bloodiko