Random Helpful Tidbits

Matryxx

Hello everyone!  I just wanted to post some random things that I discovered and thought would be helpful to share.  I hope something in here helps you!

1. If you are getting an error when launching the game that you are missing libssl-1_1-x64.dll, follow this link to get both the libssl and libcrypto files:Then follow this link to get Updater v0.4 if you have an older version:
  2. Screenshots can be taken with Ctrl-O, and they are saved in "C:\Users\...\Documents\BattleForge\screenshots".  Also in the same BattleForge folder, you can find your config and keybinding files.  The config file has extra settings that are not available in game.  I wouldn't suggest changing these unless you know what you are doing!
  3. If you are getting black horizontal lines or black flickering when you move the screen (different from screen tearing), try turning off SSAO.
  4. If you are on a 4k or high resolution display, and notice that your mouse location and mouse input are offset (ex. your mouse is registering as being more toward the bottom right of the screen), it may be a high DPI scaling problem.  To fix it, right click on the BattleForge.exe and select Properties, then select Compatibility, and then check the box next to "Override high DPI scaling behavior."  And have the scaling be performed by "Application".  This fix also works with other .exe's, such as other games or programs.
  5. Here are a few hidden controls I found:  Shift+Right Click - Multi move.  Ctrl+Right Click - Multi move / attack.  Alt+Right Click - Patrol. (troops will move back and forth between points, but will walk slowly)  There are probably a bunch of other hidden commands in the game, but I have not been able to find any information about them.  If you have found any sites, you can link them in the comments.
  6. Here is a fix I found for having an extremely small mouse pointer on a 4k screen.  Sadly it requires changing your resolution to 1080p.  First, change your ingame resolution to 1920x1080, and then go to Windows Settings > System > Display and change your resolution to 1920x1080.  Your mouse should now be normal sized in the game!  Just don't forget to change back to 4k after you quit the game so you can enjoy your high res display. :P
  7. Alt-tabbing from full screen mode sometimes perma-freezes the game -> play in windowed mode with as high resolution as you want.
  8. Force DirectX version 9 if you have trouble with textures, units, etc.
  9. If you have frequent random crashes and popups during regular actions in forge or game, you might want to re-download the game and extract it with exactly WinRAR. (7Zip, Daemon Tools, etc. are known to corrupt the game archive files)

#7, 8, and 9 are from fiki574, thank you!

I hope something here helped you! ;)   Let me know in the comments!  And feel free to add more helpful information in the comments!  Thanks. :D

Edited by Matryxx
added fiki574's comment

Yo cool stuff, you might add this.

1. Alt-tabbing from full screen mode sometimes perma-freezes the game -> play in windowed with as big resolution as you want
2. Force DirectX version 9 if you have troubles with textures, units, etc.
3. If you have frequent random crashes and popups during regular actions in forge or game, you might want to redownload the game and extract it with exactly WinRAR (7Zip, Daemon Tools, etc. are known to corrupt the game archive files)

23 hours ago, fiki574 said:

Yo cool stuff, you might add this.

1. Alt-tabbing from full screen mode sometimes perma-freezes the game -> play in windowed with as big resolution as you want
2. Force DirectX version 9 if you have troubles with textures, units, etc.
3. If you have frequent random crashes and popups during regular actions in forge or game, you might want to redownload the game and extract it with exactly WinRAR (7Zip, Daemon Tools, etc. are known to corrupt the game archive files)

Thank you!  Added!

Hi,
I have the problem with my mouse cursor and did number 4 but it didn't help. Any other suggestions so my mouse cursor is on the correct spot when I have to click? Right now it's always above the item when it highlights it. Also I can't give my hero the command to move when he's in a fight. Seems like my rigthbutton doesn't do the trick...

22 hours ago, tymeon said:

Hi,
I have the problem with my mouse cursor and did number 4 but it didn't help. Any other suggestions so my mouse cursor is on the correct spot when I have to click? Right now it's always above the item when it highlights it. Also I can't give my hero the command to move when he's in a fight. Seems like my rigthbutton doesn't do the trick...

Hi tymeon,

I'm not sure what the problem is, Windows likes to do funky stuff, but I'll try to help.  Are you on a 4k display?  I would first make sure that your in-game resolution matches your computer resolution.  Then my only suggestion would be to retry number 4.  Here is a picture of my BattleForge.exe and its properties for reference:

1877312539_Battleforgeproperties.thumb.PNG.68ae2794f5bcadcd9df648a8b0b74675.PNG

Make sure that you have the "BattleForge.exe" file with the DPI override checked.  Also, make sure that the rest of the exe's in the BattleForge folder do NOT have the override checked.  I would then start the game and then quit out of it.  Sometimes Windows likes changing settings automatically, so I would check the properties to make sure it didn't change.  If it stays checked and you are still having mouse problems, then I am not sure what to do.  You can try reinstalling the game, but I'm not sure what the problem is.

Now, for the problem with not being able to give commands, I am not sure what the problem is.  I haven't had that issue.  After selecting your units, you should be able to right click to move them.  You could check in the keybindings.  You may have something else bound to that action, or you may have right click bound to another key.  Those are my only suggestions!

I hope something here helps!

fiki574 likes this