Snapjaws damage weird/wrong?

Sephok

So, I decided to try out shadow. Had a look at T1 units. I thought that maybe the Tainted Snapjaws might be nice as a sort of support unit, maybe have one of them running around with your T1 ball for the debuff. Thing is, the damage was abysmal. Far less than the 280 damage would imply.

They did 119 damage against Twilight Claws in 36 seconds, 96 against Bandit Footmen in 27 seconds (after each of those they died). Against a wall they did 160 in 20 seconds, which is at least close to the minimum damage they should do (still 4*5*20/2 should be 200).

Their nominal damage is 280; maybe if there is a T1 clump their damage could become something close to that (since they have 3m splash), but shouldn't 200 in 20 be the minimum, even if they hit just one target every shot?

From what I understand, their star damage type should just mean they don't get bonus damage against any size. However, against the wall they deal their full 4x5 damage, against an S squad however just a grand total of 9 to 12 (12 when the squad is still in formation, 9 when it surrounds the Snapjaws). They did a total of 10 damage per barrage against Twilight Crawlers (M sized 4 bug squad). Against the Twilight Devestator (L) they did the full 4x5 damage.

You are correct, snapjaws deal 160 single target damage per 20, if their damage is applied. As it is a splash dmg card it could possibly max out at 288, leaving its damage value at 224. The card description is calculated by: (single target dmg + max splash dmg) / 2

The small splash radius leads to a damage loss against squad units, which makes it even worse, so most of the time you can only make use of them as a supporter due to their debuff ability. 

But shouldn't their damage be a minimum of 200? I would have thought that even when hitting one of a squad each hit should still do 5 damage, with the up to 9 from splash maybe applying only when there is a second squad. That the direct impact on a single squad member would somehow deal less than the 5 seems strange.

I guess squad members are limited to a certain percentage of the incoming damage. I used to think they simply shared a health pool, but since individual members occasionally die before the squad reaches 1 HP that is clearly not the case. In that case I suppose I can see why there would be such a mechanic, but it doesn't appear to be a problem with true single target attacks like squad melee or bow attacks, only with splash of such small size.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:56 AM, Showaren2 said:

I wish snapjaws were playable in a way. The debuff is so interesting, but the damage makes them completely unplayable. (except Satanael Bloodhealing T3 which I play :$)

Red Snapjaws are playable in nische pve situations btw cuz they apply dmg buff against buildings.

• 1 year later...
On 2/11/2019 at 11:56 AM, Showaren2 said:

I wish snapjaws were playable in a way. The debuff is so interesting, but the damage makes them completely unplayable. (except Satanael Bloodhealing T3 which I play :$)

I play snapjaws every day. It is a satanael deck and it can do rpve 9 easily. You can have as many snappers as you want! Enjoy this deck idea ^^ i don't know when some "intelligent" person is going to demand a nerv on my beloved satanael deck in the name of pvp or their gpu or something...