PC freezes after match

Festmahl

Hi,

My PC crashes/freezes after a match, after pressing the button in the ingame win screen. Windows is not responsible anymore and I need to force reboot or shut-down via PC case buttons. The screen gets completely black and my monitor begins to switch into standby phase.

How to create a log file for this upcoming game issue?

Key combinations like Alt+F4, Ctrl+Alt+Del or Win+Tab does'nt work after a played match. Eventmanager->System protocols does'nt show anything related to the game or hardware issues. I've set graphical settings to minimal to try if this may cause the issue, but it did'nt help. Also I've switched some resolutions: 4096x2160, 2560x1600 and 2048x1080 - none helped, even with minimum graphical settings. All other game settings I did not change.

My system:

- Windows 10 x64 Pro

- Intel Core i7 3770k

- 32GB DDR3 RAM

- GeForce GTX 770 2GB VRAM

If you need more details, just let me know.

Cheers

Edited by Festmahl

Hi fiki, thanks for your answer.

It worked now at 1920x1080 with high details in windowed mode. I could see the rewards etc. after the match. Will try it in full screen mode at the same resolution next.

So I‘ve pressed the Menu button in the upper bar, clicked on Options and bang my PC crashed again, while being in windowed mode and 1920x1080.

Is there any possibility to debug or get a log file?

Cheers

Hi, this time I‘ve completed a match, got my rewards, opened my mails and collected the rewards inside too, opened one booster without any issue, tried to open the second booster and then my PC crashed again. Hard reset via power button was needed again.

On my PC DirectX 12 is running and the Nvidia driver is up to date with version 417.71.

Edit:

Now I had the case when trying to upgrade a card my PC crashed again. I will install the game on my MacBook Pro via Bootcamp and give you more details if this way works or not.

Cheers

Edited by Festmahl

Things I‘ve done in the meantime on my MacBook Pro 13“ 2017:

- installed Windows 10 Pro latest version via Bootcamp

- installed a set of runtimes (C++, .NET, etc.) in several versions via package installer from Chip.de

- installed the old Battleforge installer (ca. 84 MB file)

- downloaded, unzipped and copied over the Battleforge data package (ca. 5 GB file), listed in the support thread (by the way the first download link had a CRC checking error while unzipping the file, the second download link and zip file worked fine)

- downloaded, installed and ran the Skylords Updater

- logged into the game, set the graphical settings to 1920x1080 with minimum details

- played a few matches and got no crash at all

-> So it works on my MacBook with Windows 10, but still not on my PC.

Things I‘ve done on my PC afterwards:

- ran memtest86 via bootable USB flashdrive with alot of errors, since it‘s not ECC RAM (picture attached)

- ran a FurMark stress test together with the MSI Afterburner for 30+ minutes, with the GPU being stable at 91°C for around 22+ minutes without a crash

- searched for Windows updates via the onboard update process and installed them all automatically

- played over two hours Path of Exile with high settings without a crash

I don‘t think the RAM causes these black screen crashes, because non-ECC RAM may have calculation errors. RAM errors normally end up in a blue screen. The graphics card seems to be ok too. The power supply would cause an error while doing the FurMark stress test or playing Path of Exile, but no crashes here. Also the power (LEDs, fans) still ran after getting a black screen out of Skylords Reborn.

It seems Skylords Reborn causes the crash while starting a graphical event like opening a booster or switching from the match end screen to the rewards screen. Here it would help to debug in the background or get a log file anyhow - please give an advice.

Cheers

FF5D6D44-5253-4E0B-963C-ABEEDCE3455A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Festmahl said:

- downloaded, unzipped and copied over the Battleforge data package (ca. 5 GB file), listed in the support thread (by the way the first download link had a CRC checking error while unzipping the file, the second download link and zip file worked fine)

I'd highly suggest using WinRAR for unpacking the archive because players had problems with crashes and corrupt game files if they'd unzip it using Windows unzip or extract with Daemon Tools.

19 hours ago, Astiliano said:

You can use this tool to verify your install

Thanks Astiliano, but no need to check the files. I‘ve copied the whole Battleforge folder from my MacBook to my PC, where on my MacBook it‘s working fine, but still crashes on my PC.

So there are only two suggestions I have at the moment:

1. My PC’s Windows 10 is damaged somehow, but other games have no issues at all

2. Skylords Reborn and my PC hardware don‘t like each other ?

If there are no more ideas, I will game on my MacBook with low details ?

Cheers

By quick google search "ram may be vulnerable to high frequency row hammer bit flips" and short observation of BF I think RAM may be your problem.

Path of exile on the other hand behave much better in relation to memory changes.

FurMark stresses only GPU, not the memory.

I never have memory error without significant overclocking, so did you try to decrease your memory clock?

BF reacts badly to any kind of error, so it can really be that the memory do not work well and BF is the only app you have that can not handle it.

From my experience with overclocked memory when Windows seem to not care about errors, some programs not care about errors, but some programs instantly crash the PC.

8 hours ago, Kubik said:

... I think RAM may be your problem...

...From my experience with overclocked memory when Windows seem to not care about errors, some programs not care about errors, but some programs instantly crash the PC.

Thanks for your answer, Kubik.

I've already changed the RAM clocks in BIOS from XMP with 2400 MHz to the standard value without XMP at 1333 MHz -> PC crashed again, this time while searching for a card in the auction house.

It's something with the graphical settings, because:

- when setting Shader to "high", PC crashes while searching for a card in the auction house, in the middle of the game when summoning a creature etc.

- Texture Quality is on "high" and Effect Quality on "very high", but everything else is off (Lightning, Cloud Shadow, SSAO, AA, ...) except MT Rendering (always on "Auto"), and Shader to "low", then it works kind of fine, except the "client lost connection bla bla" error, but hey, no PC crash then.

So, I can live with that for now, or playing on my MacBook.

Cheers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use