Straight Frost or continue Stoneskin?

Hi,

I've recently been toying around with a deck that I like, but I need some help.

I haven't got enough BF points to buy a shaman, but I don't want to play my old original Nature deck I had in the original battleforge, so I've been playing around with some Frost and Stoneskin, I like the defensiveness of Frost, and the tankyness of Stoneskin. I haven't been to lucky with cards from boosters, but I recently sold an Overlord which netted me 850 BF points, and I don't think I'll ever play Shadow or Fire.

I'm fairly spell lacking in my deck, as I'm pretty new to frost, but the ones I have got I've used 50% of a game, depending on what happens.

Most of my army consists of units from T1 to T3 late game, a mish mash of Crystal Fiends, Aggressors, Stone Warriors, Stone Shards, Master Archers.

I noticed units I feel are lacking in general are near my Tier 2,3,4's

I hardly use Swamp Drakes, as Aggressors seem to take care of air along with Master Archers.

Stone Tempests and Tempests I also hardly use.

Kobold Engineers are only really around to keep defensive positions up, I notice that my teammates sometimes get overrun, so I plop up towers to keep their buildings and flanks secure. But Ice Barriers are also a building I hardly use.

I feel like my Stone Warriors are a bit "flimsy", but hey that's what I've been lucky with.

Construct doesn't hit air, and is slow as all hell, plus my Crystal Fiends can't heal them either.

Giant wyrm seems a bit iffy, rarely use it.

But yea some tips or tricks would be great, I've been struggling to complete a T5 random generated map with my current setup, but I think that's purely based off my units mostly only being upgrade once, and a lot of them are still standard, but I'm farming for the upgrades as we speak.

I was wondering if I should buy the following:

Coldsnap Spell?
Core Dregde - with Siege?
Northwind Drake - Don't know which colour though
Grinder? Seems like a smart Stoneskin to have.

Any suggestions would be great.

I recently picked up a Frost Tremor

Deck1.png

Edited by Noxgene

Frost bite isn't that useful in pve.

You really could use a home soil.

Grinders are great, use them.

You need some cc as stonekin, oink does it most of the time but if you wanna be freeze themed use coldsnap.

Tempest is really bad without freeze, even worse for rpve.

Regrowth is a MUST!

Too many buildings and not enough T4 for rpve, construct is also too slow there without some kind of teleportarion.

First, I would build up two different decks for random pve and campaign missions. At least within a four player random generated map you hardly will need any tower. (You could use Kobold Inc. to summon Wolrd Breakers, but that is a differnt story.)

A big plus for your towers, though. Not more than a tower in each tier.

Also, read the description of Juice Tank very, very carefully. The wells will last longer, thus giving more resources. But the given rate per time does not change. This means, unless you plan to play more than (roughly, because it depends on the capacity of the wells) 25 minutes, you will not need this card!

Ice barrier is mainly for supporting Home Soil.

Cobold Labratory is another card is another card I like to question. You strengthen your defense, yes. But is it that important to fill up a slot? :) Well, I do not have enough experience with that card but that is why I wouldn't use it. :/

I do wonder why Chrystal Fiends do not heal a Constuct. Are you sure?

For most (basic) needs I'd use Skyelf Templar instead of the Kobold Engineer. He tends to run away too easily.

You asked for advice on spells. Frost has not much to do with void (except Shrine of Martyrs), so take only what you really feel needed. I will point out some interesting ones: Home Soil (expensive, for more damage) and maybe Glyph of Frost (if you need some crowd control on T1). Coldsnap (very common crowd conrtol on T2), Matter Mastry is an interesting card, but expensive. Some people swear on Stone Shell, I do not use it. A Frost Shard is handy (instand freze, plus death). Another good one is Shatter Ice. Either use it together with Coldsnap or with Maelstrom.

Northland Drake does not deal much damage, nor can take much, its special ability is hard to use (at least for my take). Core Dreadge is a good unit and fun to play. Most forst players do use Avatar or Rageflame (but both are expensive). The cheap alternative would be Stone Warrior. In my opinion, frost and stonekin have not much to offer on t3.

In t2, for two frost orbs I like to name War Eagle (together with Ice Area Shield) and maybe White Rangers. For Stonekin I suggest Razorshard (green). They are cheap, do heal themselves and everything around them when in siege mode. These plus a decent t1 or Defenders if you like will give a good t2. I'd say Agrssor is a some sort of a mobile crowd control. They are nice, but cost a lot of energy and do not deal damage - but their knock back is really, really good. As you allready own Chrystal Fiend; yes, use them, too.

Typical T4 units would be Wyrm (dunno, why you do not like them, they are easy and uncomplicated), Gemeye (prefer the purple one) and Grinder (any affinity) or Grimvine. If you stick to Construct, I'd use Battleship, too. Both are slow, but they fit together. But I cannot recommend both to you, when you want to play random pve.

Maybe this wall of text will help you. :D

1 hour ago, Flrbb said:

I do wonder why Chrystal Fiends do not heal a Constuct. Are you sure?

First off thank you so much for the input and the advice.

Secondly, yea I've noticed the Crystal Fiends don't heal a construct at all, I don't know if this is a bug or not, and have not reported it, but then again I don't know if they should or not?

I go mostly with Flrbb, there is many good advice in his post. What I missed: Breeding Grounds. If you have 1 Green you usually want to take them with you.

T1:

If you stick to frost t1, which I like very much, try Frost Mage + Master Archers + Homesoil + Barrier, that is usually really strong. Wintertide or the mentioned Frost Glyph may help in higher difficulties.

T2:

In T2 usual units are Mounty (personally don't like em, but they are common and need to be mentioned first), Razorshard (super cheap, super strong), Aggressor (as said, lacks dmg but gives superb crowd control) or Stormsinger red (cheap, M-Counter, Anti-Air).

Nice spells for T2 where all mentioned imho. Matter Mastery is very strong, though it is a waste slot when you face Lost Souls. But if not, you have a great combo with your T1 Homesoil even in the late match.

T3:

Depends imo if you go solo/duo or 4player. For 4 player the frost/nature T1-T2 is usually more then strong enough to take T4. If you want to be safe, take 1x T3 unit. If you go solo, your T3 need to be strong enough to face the next camps, you can take 1-2x T3 units then. I like Deepcoil/Core Dredge here, as I prefer not to have melees until t4 in rPve.

Strong spells in t3 are Stone Shell (green!!!!:)) and Revenge.

T4:

Completely go with Flrbb!

Other cards you could check out, if you like them: If you go for 2 Green (to get Grinder for example) -> try Shrine of Memories.

Inc Mo (he fits always, if you have a free slot)

Breeding Grounds

Wheels - expensive, but deluxe buffs

if you try wheels and have a slot: Construction Hut

Cheers

Volin

15 hours ago, Noxgene said:

Secondly, yea I've noticed the Crystal Fiends don't heal a construct at all, I don't know if this is a bug or not, and have not reported it, but then again I don't know if they should or not?

As far as I know, the Fieds shouldn't be selective. Maybe you should report it.