Similar Buffs not interacting correctly

Segrim

I only tested the Damage reduction buffs (damage taken).  I used stonekin (with a default 15% damage reduction), giant wyrms (with no damage reduction), wheel of gifts (global damage taken reduction), incredible Mo (enemy damage debuff) and the spell "Stone Shell" (G).  I tested the effects of each in the Forge, everything works properly when used separately.  The problem arises whenever any of the damage reduction components are used together.  It doesn't matter which combo is used (with the exception of Incredible Mo which was only used for testing and did combo as expected since it is a debuff and not a buff).  When any combination of reduced damage taken buffs, the resulting damage reduction is the max number (from any source) applied there is no increase in damage reduction beyond the max (no additive result). 

This means that If I used stonekin with wheel of gifts, the damage reduction total is 20%, if I use any single creature with wheel of gifts and "Stone Shell" (G) then the total damage reduction is 20%, if I used a normal creature (not stonekin) with wheel of gifts then the total damage reduction is 20%.  If I use a single creature (either stonekin or not, the former being a big issue and the latter being the normal conclusion) then in combo with "Stone Shell (G) the total damage reduction is 20%.  If I use stonekin (15% damage reduction) or a normal creature (it doesn't matter, again... a problem) + Wheel of Gifts + "Stone Shell" (G) then the only way that damage reduction is higher would be if there are enough creatures to trigger "Stone Shell" to a factor higher than 20%.  

I didn't test Crystal Fiend (B) with its 20% damage reduction, I expect it is the same issue.  I also did not test any damage buffs, but I suspect that any damage buffs that are applied in a similar format also receive the same max buff applied only result.

One could argue that this is intended, however, I feel that would be a seriously flawed argument considering the stonekins (their natural ability being useless if receiving a buff) and various sources of the buffs when applied to other creatures.  Wheel of Gifts and "Stone Shell" should really stack in my opinion, Crystal Fiend (B) probably doesn't stack but it isn't as big of an issue.  (Except when used with stonekin... then it could be argued as an issue).

This isn't a major concern at the moment but is worth adding to the list of things that should be addressed in the future.

Correction:  There seemed to be an issue with the enemy I was using in the forge which dealt more damage to stonekin than to other mobs, there is a possibility that the stonekin (-15% damage taken) ability is being added in.  The other issues are still valid.

Edited by Segrim

• 1 month later...

I have had similar results on the opposite end. Damage buffs do not appear to stack either, but the way they interact also seems a bit weird in general.

I had a setup of two XL units, one for each player in the Forge (in this case it was Overlords). Both had a Soul Splicer (R) next to them which was charged and the buff was applied to them. After that I kept one side that way and to the other one I added a Waystation (R) with an installed Bandit Sorceress (R). When fighting the two units seemed to deal more or less the same damage, although sometimes it appeared that one side would occasionally deal a bit more or less damage. This may have been caused by different attack animations also having different damage values or possibly by the different percentage values of the three buffs (20% Bandit Sorceress (R), 25% Soul Splicer (R), 30% Waystation (R)) - which would imply that a random one is chosen on each hit.

• 1 year later...

The game only uses the highest damage buff. This is an intendend mechanic. The only expection to this rule is Unholy Power, which can stack with other buffs. What @Sephok experienced, is that melee units do different damage depending on the animation(?) they use. Therefore I'm moving this to resolved.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use