New Defensive Game Mode

Venomlord

Hello, i thought about an new game mode that brings some variation in PvE. The Idea is basically an "Horde mode" where the main Goal is to defend all the time.
It could work like rPvE but insteat of going offensive an killing everything before the time is running out, you have to defend yourself againts waves of enemies that gets stronger over time.

It could be an endless-mode where you see an timer and can check how Long you did survive Jet. Maybe also with an Gold reward that get higher the longer you survive.

Otherwise it could also have an timer like in rPvE and if you are still alive after the timer is at zero you would win. And then the reward could be exactly the same like in rPvE. If we go with that possibility then you should also be able to choose the difficulty from 1 to 10.

I personally think it would be an cool alternative for rPvE, because in most Campaign Mission aswell as in rPvE the best solution is to go offensive.

But what do you think about this idea?

Well, the main problem with that is that buildings are way stronger than units, with the drawback that they can't move (obv not a drawback in this mode).

So the strat would pretty much become: choose the right combo of buildings and wait. Also when you have things like church of negation or shadow worm, things can become trivialized....

Probably the most interesting way to do this would be to arrange the terrain in such a way that buildings can't be spawned everywhere, turning it into a kind of battleforge tower defense?

PrimalVice likes this

I've always wanted a mode like this. I think the way to make it most successful would be to make it a bit of a hybrid. Kind of how in "Defending Hope" there are a couple buildings you can take out to reduce the magnitude of attacks, only I would want the importance of it to be much more extreme than on Defending Hope (where I find it's usually not worth the effort).

I also agree with Eirias's suggestion above that the terrain be arranged in such a way that you can't just put together an unassailable building defense and kick back. You instead have to make trade-offs where you need unit support to cover whatever your buildings can't accomplish themselves (and that would give a lot of possible arrangements for successful defensive decks).

On 12/20/2018 at 5:52 PM, Eirias said:

Well, the main problem with that is that buildings are way stronger than units, with the drawback that they can't move (obv not a drawback in this mode).

So the strat would pretty much become: choose the right combo of buildings and wait. Also when you have things like church of negation or shadow worm, things can become trivialized....

Probably the most interesting way to do this would be to arrange the terrain in such a way that buildings can't be spawned everywhere, turning it into a kind of battleforge tower defense?

I think an interesting solution for this would be if you had to protect multiple areas or if enemy waves can come from different directions. In this case, you still need the mobility of an army. Potentially, you could still make use of towers on strategically important parts if the map design permits it. And if two cards prevent a mode from being fun, maybe the cards should be fixed and not the mode :P

Btw. what's wrong with Shadow Worm? I tried it on several occassions but it didn't strike me as broken.

On 12/22/2018 at 8:20 PM, ImaginaryNumb3r said:

I think an interesting solution for this would be if you had to protect multiple areas or if enemy waves can come from different directions. In this case, you still need the mobility of an army. Potentially, you could still make use of towers on strategically important parts if the map design permits it. And if two cards prevent a mode from being fun, maybe the cards should be fixed and not the mode :P

Btw. what's wrong with Shadow Worm? I tried it on several occassions but it didn't strike me as broken.

Well, basically no matter how powerful the enemies are that attack you, shadow worm can paralyze and destroy them (in this hypothetical game mode). Unless they all had leader immunities, but then I guess worldbreaker gun becomes the new op card.

Although yeah, it's probably still better to use a bunch of churches and building supports if something like that happens.

Without buildings you still can use old great Root Defence, which is sometimes even better than churches (Against leaders). So we have a lot of options here. Honestly I like defensive missions much more than offensive. And random defence would be much better for me than regular rpve. But it's not that easy to make. And I don't think people will play only "Meta" cards like WB gun and churches, because even in rPvE not everyone playing Lost Spirit ships. Anyway balancing this mode from "easy" to "holy crap" would be veeeeery hard