Enable all cards for testing in the forge

Kaliber84

Testing cards  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want "locked" cards for testing in the forge?

• Yes, definitely!
    • Yes, but I'd prefer the renting option with gold/BFP
    • I don't care
    • No, don't want it

This suggestion is to enable every player to play every single card in the game in the forge without owning it. Instead every card will be in the inventory from the get-go but as a forge-only "locked" version. Players will be able to use the cards in the forge as well as create decks with it but it will not be possible to join any kind of game with a locked card in the deck.
While Battleforge was still running the temporary Tome feature every 2 weeks enabled a similar kind of testing, albeit being very random and only temporary.

The advantages to this are quite obvious. Anyone will be able to play around with cards without the need to buy them first which can be quite disappointing if the price tag is big (Shaman, Harvester, Firedancer for example). Even without spending any :bf: it will be possible to test strategies, confirm if the card fits in the deck, look up what the card is like on U3 or just to have fun with something while waiting for the group to fill up.

An alternative to this is anidea that was once proposed to make cards rentable by paying gold or small amounts of :bf:. That would be only different in that while there is a small price tag to it one would be able to temporarily test the cards in a game and not only in the forge. But this is a topic for a different thread.

This idea is somewhat similar to one I recently posted (see linked thread below). If this idea is to be implemented then the linked suggestion would simply be a minor addition to this.

6 hours ago, fiki574 said:

Almost impossible to make due to how the card inventory works. We'd have to spend at least 7-10 days to make this working the way you suggested.

Couldn't you utilize the way it was done in the final days? I.e. Utilize the "tome" feature and give all players all cards at U3, but then add some condition that forbids players from using tome cards ingame (or perhaps, in any game except sparring grounds).

Just a thought.

5 hours ago, Eirias said:

Couldn't you utilize the way it was done in the final days? I.e. Utilize the "tome" feature and give all players all cards at U3, but then add some condition that forbids players from using tome cards ingame (or perhaps, in any game except sparring grounds).

Just a thought.

I assume the problem doesnt lie in making untradeable cards( we already have that feature for starter cards) the problem lies with making cards that can not be put in a deck, can not be upgraded etc etc. There are just alot of interactions to think about and i would assume thats where the problems lie.

3 hours ago, Ultrakool said:

I assume the problem doesnt lie in making untradeable cards( we already have that feature for starter cards) the problem lies with making cards that can not be put in a deck, can not be upgraded etc etc. There are just alot of interactions to think about and i would assume thats where the problems lie.

Well, there was definitely a tome system the prevented you from bringing non-tome cards into the tome match. Is it so much different to redefine the groups so that it things regular cards are "tome" and "testing cards" are not-tome?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You could create a ghost deck using any card you want from a unique GUI. That deck will be a new feature which will be only intractable while in the forge.
It won't bare any conditions the original deck's functionality bares, It will be almost visually only, however, you'll be able to summon the creatures from the deck into the forge's battlefield. 

My suggestion is:

Adding another "Deck" with different color right above the original player's deck. That deck will be a "Ghost" deck, a deck which bares no conditions when attempting to find a match, trading and will only be seen while in the forge.
In addition, a new button somewhere in the screen will be added to allow players to select any card from the entire card pool which will add the unit into the ghost deck.
Then, allowing players to summon the creatures they've selected into the battlefield.
To save developing time you could take the original deck system and remove the conditions which interact with the rest of the game outside the forge.

13 minutes ago, Kubik said:

Do you have idea how much of work that could be? 

and there is not even enough space on smaller screens for it :P :D 

You could make another server where you can stay in forge but have all the cards available to you.
But I don't know if it would cost too much to maintain it.

21 hours ago, Kubik said:

you do not have idea how much load is 100 players with all card, do you? That would be expensive server.

And you know what would happen? All players would move there, or at least most of them.

Move for what? you'll only have access to the forge. No missions, no PvP, no nothing. Just testing in the forge.
It'll be for unit testing and build testing so you can plan the deck you want to build.
Many private servers in many games did this kind of thing once a week the server was open for testing.

The card count doesn't effect server load, so unless you know the material you're speaking about I have no reason to discuss this suggestion with you.

we tried that once and everyone go trying all the cards, just because they have all the cards there, no one cared about missions or PvP, they just want to have all cards.

"The card count doesn't effect server load" you probably do not know what you speak about :P 

@Kubik

If you think that most people would move to that kind of server, we should ask the question why that is. Maybe it'd be a good idea to reduce the massive daily grind in favor of more cards and variety :P So it's more accessible for newcomers and players that don't have the time to play daily as well as PvP players etc etc.

Edit: Also I don't think nobody cared about missions or pvp there. I remember playing a lot of PvP and speedruns with perfect decks which was very beautiful.

Edited by Navarr

In my opinion this would take the game's grace, because what holds you in it is you strive to get cards you do not have and have that emotion of experiencing it, beyond what you would no longer need booster and not have the emotion of open a booster with this.