Whispering Rework?

Aprilycan

Whenever I'm talking to one of my friends, It's rather tiring having to click the textbox whenever I want to send a message...and sometimes It decides to send the message in global instead?...I've already sent several embarrassing messages in global thus far.

Maybe I'm just bad at using it, or it really is that taxing? I just wish it was easier to use.

I agree.

The problem is that any time you change rooms (for example, from Introduction to PvP, which happens when a game is created, among other things) the chat automatically resets to "global."

I also wish that would change, because it's super annoying to lose the message you're trying to send just because someone creates a game.

• 3 months later...

Just thinking out loud here: Maybe a drop down before the chat input line which determines the channel you are talking too (instead of the '/whisper's, '/group's etc.). This way you at least always have a visual of where you are talking to and you can also easily change it. 

Also don't automatically switch the 'active' chat to a new region if your last message was a whisper, group or team/match chat (so basically only change it if your last chat was to a region you exited).

An alternative could be to have an own input line for each chat tab. So the left one can only chat to whisper, group, team and match. And the right one can only talk to public, lfg, trade, regions. (Note that in-game these are 2 tabs).

2 hours ago, Ladadoos said:

What would your guys' suggested change be ? @Aprilycan @Eirias

Basically, for the default whisper box to remember what you typed in it, and stop changing channels when you change lobbies. For instance, if I'm in the forge and I get invited to a match in pvp, whatever I was typing will disappear, and if I try to type without manually changing the channels it will go to global.

Instead, no matter what channel you were typing into and no matter what lobby you enter, you should continue typing in the channel you were previously typing into (especially since you're usually typing in whisper or group, where it doesn't matter the channel).

I guess this could be a problem if people try to type into group/team after the group is disbanded or whatever, but if this happens imo it's better just to spit out an error message like "channel does not exist" than to default to global where everyone sees your accidental message.