What will become of the balance?

WatcherOfSky

So, it seems that some very nice people have come together to make something we have all wished didn't turn its back on us and desert us: Battleforge.

EA, the worst company to ever produce games simply abandoned their best game. Now that we have that shining ray of hope that is Battlefore Reborn, we will have to come to terms with a problem that was so very apparent in the old Battleforge, and that was balancing.

There have been many ideas of how we wanted to balance the cards in a fashion that would improve the game, but most, if not all, of these ideas were either ignored or were not even noticed in the first place. Near the end of Battleforge's lifespan, the balancing patches themselves took several months to arrive, and even then they were mostly dissatisfactory, or even game breaking (I'm looking at you, Voidstorm). It was a real mess, and I truly hope that this time around, it will be better.

So here's a list of things we can implement that would run along the lines of balancing the game:

-Separating card effects between pvp and pve (and perhaps even rpve)

-having a community poll for which cards to change, how to change them, and which ones to prioritize (with admins being the deciding factor)

-general discussion between the admins and a few elected players from playerbase (as a first step before any serious balancing), or even as a method to balance cards in general aka. "The Council of the Elite"

-this one may be the obvious one but, just let the admins do all the balancing (which I seriously doubt would happen)

This list can be expanded, and is being expanded. I'll add more to this list if any more ideas are posted below.

So yeah, I know that we are all excited for this new revamp of our favorite game, and I would appreciate if you post your opinion about balancing and stuff. See you guys ingame soon (hopefully :D).

**Note** This thread is not about specific card balancing, but the general balancing system and how it should be approached **/Note**

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea the good old balancing XD 

I think they should take a group of players (PvP and PvE pros) and discuss with them which changes could are necessary and work in PvP and also in PvE. 

A group of around 10 people (i would say 7 of PVP and 3 of PVE) should be enough. They could discuss with the admins via skype.

I think they should take a group of players (PvP and PvE pros) and discuss with them which changes could are necessary and work in PvP and also in PvE. 

A group of around 10 people (i would say 7 of PVP and 3 of PVE) should be enough. They could discuss with the admins via skype.

I think the best is to vote for them and the people that can vote need to be high enough rank and active

That's a very simple way of doing it. tbh I think this should be more of a first step, before any of the real balancing has started.

That's a very simple way of doing it. tbh I think this should be more of a first step, before any of the real balancing has started.

Yea well sry thats what i ment .. 

Just discuss which cards to buff/nerf and after that let it the other players know. 

After some ideas how to change the cards ... a second skype conversation could getting started do discuss the final changes

The only thing I find that should or must be balanced or in other words, nerfed is the spell Revenge.

It's broken, causing PvP to be way OP and unbeatable.

Revenge was quite a strong card in Battleforge, yes. But I saw it more in pve than pvp.

BTW, this thread isn't about discussing individual cards, but taking on balancing as a whole.

Yea well sry thats what i ment .. 

Just discuss which cards to buff/nerf and after that let it the other players know. 

After some ideas how to change the cards ... a second skype conversation could getting started do discuss the final changes

Point taken, and yeah, it could work.

Well the community couldn't agree after 1482 pages of "rational debate"

I think the idea proposed last time about a "council of the elite" seemed a fairly legit way to do things.

As long as all factions/perspectives are voiced properly and not neglected.

Well the community couldn't agree after 1482 pages of "rational debate"

I think the idea proposed last time about a "council of the elite" seemed a fairly legit way to do things.

As long as all factions/perspectives are voiced properly and not neglected.

I was trying to remember the name of it lol, I vaguely remember that.

My suggestion:

Have 3-5 high level players be in charge on making balancing suggestions. Any suggestion they agree upon will have to pass a vote before they can take effect. The only people who should be allowed to vote are people who are top 20 1v1 and top 3 2v2.

My suggestion:

Have 3-5 high level players be in charge on making balancing suggestions. Any suggestion they agree upon will have to pass a vote before they can take effect. The only people who should be allowed to vote are people who are top 20 1v1 and top 3 2v2.

This suggestion has already been listed. >.< But it seems to be the most popular so far. Though people who are really good at pve but not pvp could also take part no?

This suggestion has already been listed. >.< But it seems to be the most popular so far. Though people who are really good at pve but not pvp could also take part no?

I don't think anyone else mentioned having elite players voting on the suggestions the "Councils" proposes.

For cards like Wheel of Gifts and all basically all T4 cards i think it would be fine if everyone were allowed to vote, but for important pvp cards including almost all of the t1 and t2 cards i don't think someone who doesn't play high level pvp should be allowed to vote.

I don't think anyone else mentioned having elite players voting on the suggestions the "Councils" proposes.

For cards like Wheel of Gifts and all basically all T4 cards i think it would be fine if everyone were allowed to vote, but for important pvp cards including almost all of the t1 and t2 cards i don't think someone who doesn't play high level pvp should be allowed to vote.

the most of the T1 and T2 pvp cards are also used in PvE, and there is a different between speedrun expert maps and normal pve maps, if u just ask pvp player you may destroy the cards for pve game, thats why in my opinion we need a balancing of 6:4 of votes for pvp players, cause pve is still a big part of the game and many ppl like me are just playing pve :)

the most of the T1 and T2 pvp cards are also used in PvE, and there is a different between speedrun expert maps and normal pve maps, if u just ask pvp player you may destroy the cards for pve game, thats why in my opinion we need a balancing of 6:4 of votes for pvp players, cause pve is still a big part of the game and many ppl like me are just playing pve :)

Thats why i would say we have to add 2-3 PvE pros also so they can discuss about results which works in PvP aswell as in PvE

Imagine we nerf XYZ card because its too strong in pvp, and because of that nerf XYZ isn't strong enough to do speedruns with anymore. Did that break pve speedruns or fix it ? Does it really matter ? If XYZ isn't good enough everyone have to find a suitable replacement.

I'm not sure what you want balanced in pve tbh. For a speed run there is an optimal deck and if you nerf any card in the deck something else is going to replace it and your gonna have a slightly different version of the original deck.

Imagine we nerf XYZ card because its too strong in pvp, and because of that nerf XYZ isn't strong enough to do speedruns with anymore. Did that break pve speedruns or fix it ? Does it really matter ? If XYZ isn't good enough everyone have to find a suitable replacement.

I'm not sure what you want balanced in pve tbh. For a speed run there is an optimal deck and if you nerf any card in the deck something else is going to replace it and your gonna have a slightly different version of the original deck.

Well for one, you usually go into t4 in pve. The armies are much bigger and just generally the gameplay is different. PvE isn't just about speedruns. >.<

i like the idea of councils for each element however i also agree that some changes could affect another gamemode. i think if the cards are balanced, they should be tested in all gamemodes to see ifthey are effective in pvp pve and rpve

I think the game overall was pretty balanced through its lifetime, excluding two or three cards, so I don't think there would be any need of a "council of the elite" or something like that. A poll would do just fine as long as the balance would affect a small amount of cards.

I think the game overall was pretty balanced through its lifetime, excluding two or three cards, so I don't think there would be any need of a "council of the elite" or something like that. A poll would do just fine as long as the balance would affect a small amount of cards.

There were numerous cards that needed fixing. I'm not talking about only op cards, I' also talking about the numerous underpowered cards that were almost never touched. They also need some love. :(

like youre precious magma spore?

make war eagles able to atack air units pls (×

TBH I picked this picture because I knew no one else would. I mean SOMEONE has to give magma spore some love no?

And about dem eagles, plox no. My manawing's need to stay ALIVE. :|