Quest & Achievement Suggestions - Megathread

Treim

1 hour ago, RadicalX said:

Just something in general here: What about creating quests around some of the community maps? I think, that some of them are very well done and fun to play. I always had no motivation going through these maps in detail though, because they didn't give any rewards. Changing this would be a nice addition for the entire PvE section in my opinion. 

I am not that familiar with the community maps (especially after such a long time), but feel free to make suggestions for them. i will probably add another category for community specific quests. 

Achievements and challenges (where you don't get a tangible reward) can pretty much be as crazy and precise as one can mange. But I am AGAINST all quests (that are bound to rewards) that are too specific.

Quests should be general and flexible to not favor certain kinds of players or styles too heavily. As a simple example there should be NO "Play a PvP map" and no "Play a PvE map" quests. Instead there should be "Play a PvP OR a PvE map". This kind of quest does not force someone that dislikes PvE to play it or someone that dislikes PvP to play it.

Quests that require the use of specific cards are also too narrow. For it's completion you are forced to use it even if you don't enjoy it. These kind of things are fit to be "achievements" or "challenges" but not "quests" for rewards.

Quests should only be things that are doable under the majority of situations, don't require specific strategies or depend on other players. A "Play a X player PvE map" quest would inevitably lead to frustration, even if everyone had that on a given day. Even in the original BF, it was often hard to get a full map and people instead started developing strategies to solo 2 or 3 positions.

Keep quests that offer rewards as broad as possible. "Win a game" or "Play for 30 minutes" are suitable. "Summon at least one XL unit OR two L units in a game" would also be fine as pretty much every deck has those. Same goes for something like "Deal 10.000 damage in a single game". Other examples for very general quests that require you to play the game but not bend your own game would be "Use a spell, a unit and a building of at least T2 in a single game", "Use 1000 energy in a single game" or "Use a card that requires at least two different colors OR at least two identical colors".

Basically, quests that give rewards should almost complete themselves if you simply play the game the way you like. They should not impose or dictate. Achievements/Challenges that are merely for bragging rights or a little check-list can do that.

Edited by Cocofang

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Karl Lavafeld said:

give communitymaps loot

Here i made a suggestion to give communitymaps loot.

"Radical x"  allready suggested the same. but i gave a suggestion how it could work.

PLs take it into consideration.

Kind Regards

Well the general questions can easily be expanded to custom maps. I won't explicitly change the text for those quests but will add a little hint at what you suggested before in the thread introduction.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I want make a general important note. 

Not make quests like.

"finish a mission" 

Cause then map like Soultree what is short is more efficient then others. Omg I played Soultree allready too often. 

Quests should be possible to finish on as manny maps and communitymaps as possible. 

F. E. 

"Play card" x" 30 times" 

"make 100000 damage with spells" 

Kind Regards

• 1 month later...

-> Reach 60 minutes que time without finding an opponent :kappa:

Jokes aside I think reaching certain rank points at the end of a month is a very good way to consistently reward people. This somewhat got mentioned, but only for the top players as far as I know. This would exlude the majority of people. I think you can reward everyone in the top 200, giving lesser experienced people motivation and specific rank goals to aim for. It could be done in steps like this:

Rank 200-151 -> Reward X

Rank 150-101 -> Reward 1,2*X

Rank 100-61 -> Reward 1,4*X

Rank 60-41 -> Reward 1,6*X

Rank 40-21 -> Reward 1,8*X

Rank 20-11 -> Reward 2*X

Rank 10-6 -> Reward 2,2*X

Rank 5-2 -> Reward 2,4*X

Rank 1 -> Reward 2,6*X (+some fancy stuff like a trophy)

My scaling values here are arbitrary, but rewards should slightly scale up for each rank class you end up reaching (just don't make it exponentially, lower rank rewards should be meaningful too). 

I think the mentioned elo ranges are somewhat representative for gaps in terms of skill. If we see bigger ranked participation after the reset, additional steps for rank 80 and 125 could be added aswell. People that want to keep their reward income are forced to keep playing PvP as the activity decaying rate is 30 days so you would be unable to cash in twice unless you play at least 30 games every month. This also encourages a fight for that sweet rank 1 spot.

Achievements like play card XY in PvP isn't really a good thing. Your goal in PvP should be to improve your strategies, style and gameplay. Bringing up different optional goals that are rewarded by bfp hurts the competition.

You could do achievements like win X Fire Nature games to encourage people to try out new decks. This could be done for all 10 orb combinations in T2, leading to 10 meaningful achievements. You could also show some basic starter decks for the factions, so people get some assistance with deck building here, if they are unfamiliar with all the different orb combinations. Sadly rewarding losses here is risky due to potential of abuse (just rush T2 and leave the game etc.).

Daily rewards could be done like this:

-> Split up the current "play X PvP matches to 1v1 and 2v2s". 2v2 is a very good but underplayed gamemode. Rewards could be helpful for that.

-> If you intend splitting PvP and PvE quest trees, you could simply allow people to reset their PvP quest a few times each day limited to a number X dependend on where you want to set up your grinding cap. 

Additional reward idea that I would generally support:

-> Hotstreak rewards (3;5;10;50 wins in a row)

Most of the things are not really innovative here, but I think we need a healthy reward modell for PvP, not an insanely fancy one. I think PvE is much better suited for creative ideas and we got alot of good ones in this thread already. 

RuneSeeker likes this

32 minutes ago, RadicalX said:

Reach 60 minutes que time without finding an opponent

That would be too easy :P I believe even over 6 hours is be possible :( if you wait during night trough morning, I think someone was saying "he may reach 12 hours if no one show soon"

33 minutes ago, RadicalX said:

Split up the current "play X PvP matches to 1v1 and 2v2s". 2v2 is a very good but underplayed gamemode. Rewards could be helpful for that.

I see that as a bad idea, because not everyone one have "friend" to play with,so this would force them to play with random team mates, and from reports that is bad enough in PvE :( 

36 minutes ago, RadicalX said:

If you intend splitting PvP and PvE quest trees, you could simply allow people to reset their PvP quest a few times each day limited to a number X dependend on where you want to set up your grinding cap

There is exactly one PvP quest so no variety :( 

"Hotstreak rewards" I like that :) 

38 minutes ago, RadicalX said:

Most of the things are not really innovative here, but I think we need a healthy reward modell for PvP, not an insanely fancy one. I think PvE is much better suited for creative ideas and we got alot of good ones in this thread already. 

I agree.

The problem I see with it is that PvP only players need to play PvE to get BFP/cards.

So if we can not get 2 sets of quests, because no one can think of (almost) any PvP quests, we may never have PvP only option.

• 2 months later...

Here's just another idea for rewards. A daily challenge, the same for all players. The callenge will be assembled from two subsets.

1) a certain map

2) (odd) restrictions for your deck

So a a challenge would be like: beat Sunbridge without nature cards. Or beat Siege of Hope just with shadow cards. Beat Guns of Lyr without any cards from t3. Do not use spells. You get the idea.

For multiplayer maps a challenge would be successfull, if all players decks meet the restrictions. Depending on how harsh incisive the restrictions to your deck is, the bigger should be a linked factor to the reward - playing a map without e.g. Bandit or legendary cards is not that complicated, copared to playing without e.g. nature cards or without spells/buildings.

Navarr likes this

• 4 months later...

what about repeatable quest like play x time and get a small reward, then play x time again and get the same reward.
or play some gamemode x number of times for x reward.

the thing would be that the quest never ends and never resets so people always has some small reward to play for if that is what they want

• 8 months later...
  • Zyna unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

I want to throw in the idea of some map specific one time achievement.

I had to play through encounters with twilight a few times lately and after a while I gave myself a challange that would make a perfect one time achievement imo. Once you reveal the bottom right corner of the map, there's an NPC frost mage that gets attacked by Twilight enemies. She dies pretty quickly and my goal was to protect her and keep her alive until the end of the mission. It's quite hard but I managed to do it after a few attempts.

Another idea is to complete the mission defending hope without losing any of the 4 default towers.

I think you can find one of those achievements for most maps in the game. Not sure if those are even possible to implement but I would love to have small optional things in missions as achievemts in the game.

Linvega likes this

• Zyna changed the title to Quest & Achievement Suggestions - Megathread
  • Zyna pinned this topic

An idea for achievements that came to mind for me is since we got the dragonkin one already why not with the ships of the game? I do not know the exact amount of ship units we have in the game but it could also be an idea.

-Win a campaign map spawning X unique ship units. ~ An Entire Armada

Edited by somebody516

The truth is we all want more boosters -/-
There are already achievements which grant gold for repeative actions, and it's really nice reward for playing. However, it does not feel, atleast to me, as "achievement", something what we can be proud of.

Progressive "collect cards from same faction". For example:

• Collect 60 faction cards: Faction booster. (Frost, Fire, Shadow, Nature)
  • Collect all ~90 faction cards: General booster.
  • Collect 30 mixed faction cards: relevant booster.  (Stonekin, Bandit, Lost Souls, Twilight)
  • Collect all ~40 mixed faction cards: General booster.

Cast n spells during rPvE match with certain difficulty, where n would be somewhere around ~70-120. - "Archwizard" or "Master of the Void" - rPvE have time limits, which campaign doesn't.

Edited by Dallarian

Also, achievement rewards looks untouched from the basic game. I'd suggest their increase, at least in a certain points.

In particular:

1) 50 daily quests for 60 BFP - it can't be serious, as EACH daily gives you 70-75. I'd suggest 1000+ (4 days of play, actually).

2) Open 60 boosters for 1 additional - again, way too little in comparison, IMHO. It is 60 days of playing - to get 1 additional booster(!). 

Concl: size of the reward is totally neglectable while compared with the time spent.

3) Whole campaign on Standard - 3 boosters. As 1 booster = 1 day of play (with the discount 1,5 days)...? Probably, has to be revised. Same for all of 3 of that achievements.

4) 50 lvl 3 cards - 1 booster? Seriously? It tooks around 1-1.5 month of play, or 1-2 weeks of farming, as I can imagine. 1 booster as a reward seems strange for me. 

Concl: size of rewards seems untouched and incomparable with the time spent again.

5) Gold providing achievements: as a rookie (2 weeks of play max) I am able to beat RPVE lvl 5 in 70-80% of fights. I achieve 1300 gold from each. Am I really looking for 100-200 gold achievements? And am I looking for them in PVP? Only the fact they can be done multiple times makes them fine. But the size of reward is neglectable. 

6) Last, but not least - no repeatable PvE achievements. Thats a huge pity for me - I'd prefer polishing my deck in PvE and now there is no long-term incentive to do so.

Concl: there should be big weekly/monthly quests, with good rewards in BFP for PvP and PVE. The basic rewards in gold had to be either increased, or removed - they have no reason to be kept.

6 hours ago, Ladorre said:

Also, achievement rewards looks untouched from the basic game. I'd suggest their increase, at least in a certain points.

The original game did not have any achievements at all, nor did it have daily quests.

In particular:

1) 50 daily quests for 60 BFP - it can't be serious, as EACH daily gives you 70-75. I'd suggest 1000+ (4 days of play, actually).

The milestone does not start at 0 progress. Each quest/step gives 4 BFP for this achievement iirc.

6 hours ago, Ladorre said:

2) Open 60 boosters for 1 additional - again, way too little in comparison, IMHO. It is 60 days of playing - to get 1 additional booster(!). 

Concl: size of the reward is totally neglectable while compared with the time spent.

3) Whole campaign on Standard - 3 boosters. As 1 booster = 1 day of play (with the discount 1,5 days)...? Probably, has to be revised. Same for all of 3 of that achievements.

4) 50 lvl 3 cards - 1 booster? Seriously? It tooks around 1-1.5 month of play, or 1-2 weeks of farming, as I can imagine. 1 booster as a reward seems strange for me. 

Concl: size of rewards seems untouched and incomparable with the time spent again.

5) Gold providing achievements: as a rookie (2 weeks of play max) I am able to beat RPVE lvl 5 in 70-80% of fights. I achieve 1300 gold from each. Am I really looking for 100-200 gold achievements? And am I looking for them in PVP? Only the fact they can be done multiple times makes them fine. But the size of reward is neglectable. 

6) Last, but not least - no repeatable PvE achievements. Thats a huge pity for me - I'd prefer polishing my deck in PvE and now there is no long-term incentive to do so.

Concl: there should be big weekly/monthly quests, with good rewards in BFP for PvP and PVE. The basic rewards in gold had to be either increased, or removed - they have no reason to be kept.

The point of the achievements is not to provide another form of daily income. The reward is intended to be minor when compared to daily rewards. For the start we focused on achievements which are mainly relevant for the start of the game. We do plan to add more achievements in the future, especially some end-game achievements.
Big weekly/monthly quests is a format we have considered, but have not had the time yet to look at in detail.

Dallarian likes this

9 hours ago, Ladorre said:

Well that's the whole point of Achievments - you achieve them and you're done with them. Also, the rewards are just a little cherry on the cake, not a way to farm stuff.

For example, in real life you also go to work to earn money and not marry over and over to live off of the money gifts.

7 hours ago, Zyna said:

The point of the achievements is not to provide another form of daily income. The reward is intended to be minor when compared to daily rewards. For the start we focused on achievements which are mainly relevant for the start of the game. 

Big weekly/monthly quests is a format we have considered, but have not had the time yet to look at in detail.

Thanks for the answer! 

By original game I meant the rate 15 min = 1 BFP. By rought calculation the current rate of achievements look similar to that math. 

Later, after my post I've read sone explanation about current economy in the different topic. As far as I got it, the trend is to limit max income (24 hrs for 800 bfp). Moreover, you can earn 400 with almost no efforts (2, at bad daily 3 plays), and for the another 400 you'll have to die (reserve depletion earned me 200 bfp for 8 hours). So, no earning achievements - understandable. 

Still, it is hard to argue that achievements rewards does not compare at all with what you have to do. In example of marry gifts - you get 10$ and barber coupon for wedding :)

To edit: 50 daily, 60 boosters, 50 lvl3 - that does not sound like the very early game stage, imho :)

But, maybe I'm just tired from yesterday run (8 hrs - resulted in 5(?)+1 boosters, which does not repay really much  - ~800-900 bfp total, I'm not selling anything, ever). But for more pity, there is no comparable rewarding achievements for me now (except all campaign all levels, probably) 

Edited by Ladorre
Adding thoughts
Metagross31 likes this