high / low resolution graphics in game

nofearek9

As for the Graphic settings it goes from low to high (very high on some things)

Resolution is adjustable aswell with all the formats you know from every other game.

As far as i see it they implemented the setting options from the original 1 by 1

10 minutes ago, steezy said:

As for the Graphic settings it goes from low to high (very high on some things)

Resolution is adjustable as well with all the formats you know from every other game.

As far as i see it they implemented the setting options from the original 1 by 1

But what about future content and different maps/campaigns? Wouldn't they include more defined graphics and figures to better Skylords in this era of gaming? I understand that the game is being revived near 1:1 to the original but they will have to nonetheless implement content to compete with today's various meta games. Battleforge back then, although was lazy on its progress and that lead to its downfall, striked it off with equal footing in both visuals and innovative gameplay, as of now, the standards are raised.
From me, it's just guessing but I would assume they have a plan to meet those standards. Maybe even improving the visuals. Maybe

Now my first assumption would be: As this is a non profit project they probably dont care about competing with todays various meta games. Currently the purpose of this project is reviving battleforge as we know it so the people that enjoyed playing it back in the days can do so again.

Now to a second point: They stated multiple times that at the moment and in the near future they wont be working on or implement any new content and cant really tell if they will ever do it.

Lets say they would actually do that there is another problem. If they would want the new content to have better graphics they would also have to change/update all existing content (otherwise it would look out of place) wich is even more work than making the new content itself. Therefore if there is new content they will probably do that in the allready existing style.

Making a reskin of every existing 3D Modell and all maps aswell as visual effects takes a lot of time to do. Then all the 2D Artwork for Logos, Cards, Icons, Menu etc. will also have to be updated if you allready update everything else and the chances that someone would do all that for free is pretty low (but you never know). So they would have to hire a couple of people that would actually work on that and also know what they are doing. (I could probably bring enough skills for small stuff like icons etc. but i am sure there are people than can do it faster and better) (yes staff you can hit me up if you ever need such a thing done in the future ;))

This all pretty much depends how much the community will grow once the game is out so this topic is still far ahead in the future.

Dont take my word for any of these thoughts of mine as i am not a member of staff nor am i part of the dev team. This is just my point of view regarding new content atm.

BR, steezy

Edited by steezy
batorfly likes this

• 2 months later...

what i remember from the old launcher is that somewhere there was an option for low and high graphics NOT the ones we can all change in settings .and depended from your selection there you downloaded diferent client ,now we all have the 11,9GB client ,but i have found a client with the low graphics which is 3,5GB .

I am able to play with that client as well BUT i cant see any diference in the graphics.my guess is that we are using the low graph files 

Edited by nofearek9

2 hours ago, nofearek9 said:

what i remember from the old launcher is that somewhere there was an option for low and high graphics NOT the ones we can all change in settings .and depended from your selection there you downloaded diferent client ,now we all have the 11,9GB client ,but i have found a client with the low graphics which is 3,5GB .

I am able to play with that client as well BUT i cant see any diference in the graphics.my guess is that we are using the low graph files 

I can't remember where, but somebody long time before said that the client uses HD textures.

• 4 months later...

only the "HD textures" are available, because the game do not support choosing this in game, and if low res textures are downloaded the higher resolution ones are ignored :(

it would add much complexity do updater to download two different games (almost), because for some stupid reason they differ by logic, not only the textures. 

So we would need to support two different versions.

It run fine on GPU with 256 MB VRAM (RADEON X1650 PRO) on min details of course :D 

So we will support only the version with higher resolution textures.