Kaliber84

21 hours ago, RumbleBum said:

maybe a skull with crossed harpoons would fit the bandits. I-...I mean my nephew drew this insanely well cropped logo:

shitpost.png.60d4fd008821c7801532fad2e43bdb74.png

I don't really have any ideas for twilight but you might want to look at "twilight willsapper" for some inspiration

I like the skull idea tbh cuz bandits are like pirates with their Corsair etc although they are (most of the time) not sea pirates they are pirates. Banditos(pirates) spawn from the Corsair after all

Gonna be honest, the 4 basic elements.. Yes

Lost souls and Stonekin... Yes 

The twilight one... I'm just not feeling it.

Let me elaborate and turn it into constructive criticism. I'm not a hater but I believe you would wan honest criticism.

For me it doesn't identify with any factor that the twilight faction represents.

I don't feel it relates to twilight. It just doesn't click for me like the other symbols do. The link just isn't there

Just my opinion.

I have just got an idea for the twilight symbol. I tried to visualize something similar to Willzaper which has a pretty "twilight feel" in its design. It is not quite finished, I will not probably even finish it but hopefuly you get my idea. Keep up the good work :)

twilight.png

Przemek and BurningWorld like this

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 2:53 AM, Necrospaz said:

Gonna be honest, the 4 basic elements.. Yes

Lost souls and Stonekin... Yes 

The twilight one... I'm just not feeling it.

Let me elaborate and turn it into constructive criticism. I'm not a hater but I believe you would wan honest criticism.

For me it doesn't identify with any factor that the twilight faction represents.

I don't feel it relates to twilight. It just doesn't click for me like the other symbols do. The link just isn't there

Just my opinion.

That's strange, the Twilight one looks very ...Twilighty to me. What it doesn't quite do is have the same aesthetic as the other symbols, which I think would make it feel a bit out of place in the line-up.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back again. Had some stuff to do and interestingly I did not notice new posts in this thread. -.-

Thank you all for the constructive criticism. I love that you simply want to help me create better icon.

@Archeon @Necrospaz What exactly do you think makes it feel different?

@Wormas Thanks for the sketch. I might incorporate elements of your suggestion into an overhauled icon for Twilight, once I find what I can do to make it feel similar to the other symbols.

@Kitsurubami I will go with a simplified version of your latest entry. It is very well made but I feel that it is actually too detailed for a small icon. Also the composition is a bit too much on the sailor-side for my taste. But I think it is a great foundation and I will play around with it to see what works. Thank you.

Edit:
@Kitsurubami So I played around a bit but I can't come up with anything better fitting than your sketch. The problems with your sketch for a small logo are still present though. My new idea was to simply strip it down to it's bare bones. That would mean the only thing remaining would be 2 crossed harpoons connected by a piece of rope.
That should be still recognizable as Bandits while also being more minimalistic. Similar to the other icons.

Edited by Kaliber84

Not sure if the idea is worth exploring for Twilight, but how about experimenting with the symbol for Biohazard and using the twilight colors on it. As twilight basically is a virus that would fit pretty well I'd assume. Not sure if you'd want to go in that direction but it might be a possible route worth exploring.

image.png.4eb739f6eca4dddc84cafe5aa9a56a3d.png

@Kaliber84

@Kaliber84 I was actually thinking about the post I made here a few days after making it, realising I didn't actually add anything constructive so had intended to do that, sorry! The reasons I say the Twilight one doesn't feel right in the line-up with your others to me is that the colours of the others match the orb colours where this one is coloured to match the units, and it also feels more 'chunky' - the others feel a lot more line based where I think all of the nobbly bits on the twilight one break that feel for it.

I'm terrible with image creation though so can't offer much more than that I'm afraid!

29 minutes ago, Archeon said:

@Kaliber84 I was actually thinking about the post I made here a few days after making it, realising I didn't actually add anything constructive so had intended to do that, sorry! The reasons I say the Twilight one doesn't feel right in the line-up with your others to me is that the colours of the others match the orb colours where this one is coloured to match the units, and it also feels more 'chunky' - the others feel a lot more line based where I think all of the nobbly bits on the twilight one break that feel for it.

I'm terrible with image creation though so can't offer much more than that I'm afraid!

You offered your honest opinion about it. Just because you didn't exactly point out what felt wrong to you, doesn't mean it is invalid because of that. Just  a bit unprecise. That should actually still help in that you at least said it instead of being silent. Sure that is far from perfect but at least offers kaliber the chance to improve on the design.
It was still constructive in that you didn't just flame the design without reason. Also i think that a lot of people struggle with pinpointing a flaw in a picture - me included.  It ain't that easy :)

Hey guys just saw this thread and thought i might gonna contribute some art for the icons if i can motivate myself enough.

Icon Ideas:

I would use the Orbs from the cards (the one in the bottom right corner of the units picture) for the base of the icon with a transparent BG. Those Orbs only exist in the colors of Fire, Frost, Nature and Shadow meaning that the Orbs for Twilight, Bandits, Stonekin and Lost Souls have to be made first (can be done pretty easy using the existing ones and doing some layering work). In those Orbs i would then put a symbol that matches the faction.

• Fire: Flames
  • Frost: Snowflake
  • Nature: Leaf
  • Shadow: Every alchemy or occult symbol ever or that satanic star that @BurningWorld posted on the first page (or a similair one)
  • Twilight: Corrupted or mutated plant/flower
  • Stonekin: Stoneshell or Waterdrop (with square at the bottom instead of circle)
  • Lost Souls: Skull with mist/flames behind it
  • Bandits: Harpoon, club, hook 

Icon Colors:

All symbols should be having the colors of their faction. Probably the best if you pick colorcodes used for the cards. (I would not pick colorways based on how the factions units look in game)

• Fire = Red
  • Frost = Blue
  • Nature = Green
  • Shadow = Purple
  • Twilight = Red Green
  • Stonekin = Blue Green
  • Bandits = Red Purple
  • Lost Souls = Blue Purple

@Kaliber84 Can you (or someone else if they know) tell me the maximum size the icons can have in px (pixel)?

I would also consider keeping the icons minimalistic and in the same style as it looks more "professional"  instead of taking random icons created by 6 different people.

As i mentioned in the beginning i can do or at least try making these and post the results in here if you want.

BR, s t e e z y

Edited by steezy
BurningWorld likes this

@Archeon That actually helps a lot. Thx for the input.

@steezy I do not plan to make any further changes to the Fire, Frost, Nature, Shadow and Stonekin logos. The badly fitting colour scheme for Twilight has already been brought to my attention and the other colour schemes have been exactly the way you suggest from the beginning. All icons I have posted so far have been created solely by me but some have been inspired by suggestions made in this thread.
The size of the icons is 4 x 4cm at 300ppi or 472 x 472px. You are free to post your own icons.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 10:40 PM, Kaliber84 said:

@Treim @Necrospaz

Simple is indeed what I am looking for. But I'd also like to use existing motifs already found in the factions if possible. The pure faction symbols aren't that hard to create/find.
Color schemes are actually things I want to avoid. Logos I want are ones that are also recognizable in black & white.

What I really need is something for the mixed factions. They have existing motifs but most of those are also used by other factions and are thus unusable to me.

Here is the logos so far. Next up is Lost Souls. Bandits, Stonekin and Twilight still need convincing ideas.

Edit: Added Fire symbol

5ade432e92b86_SymbolFrostcolored.png.e5a7078c0d33702c8a5ec203aa1ede8c.png5ade432f3d1f2_SymbolNaturecolored.png.b96520c4a63bccad0d5e8ae28ad2e0c6.png5ade43300d6ac_SymbolShadowcolored.png.7eccee4e71dae9a99059697e5b4b8cb0.png5ade57932f513_SymbolFirecolored.png.1408137931703ffd6f0391e45223659c.png

I like this one, it looks simple but fits in perfectly. I'd give this one a thumbs up!

On 6/27/2018 at 3:14 PM, samsim100 said:

Why not editing the logos together to represent the franktions? Aburning seven pointed star or a frozen leaf would look pretty awesome.

It would look pretty awesome but it wouldn't be easily recognizable as it doesn't represent the faction well. Bandits are way closer to Fire in their style rather than Shadow as almost every style element in Bandits can also be found in Fire. Thus the star would hold no meaning for Bandits, whether on fire or not.

On 5/4/2018 at 5:09 PM, Kitsurubami said:

bandit2.png

I love the logo suggestion but I played around enough that I find it impossible to make this into something that is as simple as the other logos.

EDIT: I will be using a stylized spearhead like the one from the Bandit Spearmen and an anchor for now. Still subject to change though.

Edited by Kaliber84

New Bandits logo in a look that should fit the other icons so far. This is only the first sketch and especially the proportions will undergo more changes. But it should provide an idea of where I am going with this. The lower anchor part will be complemented by its respective top anchor part spanning out of / from behind of the spearhead. I still need to figure out how to make that look good though.

What do you guys think of this? What things might not work even when the design is fully fleshed out? What could be added or left out?

My greatest fear so far is that it won't look recognizable for the faction. But I feel that will improve when the anchor part is complete.

235793523_SymbolBandits.png.a02475dd4be613210f04e578ade50b6e.png

14 hours ago, Kaliber84 said:

New Bandits logo in a look that should fit the other icons so far. This is only the first sketch and especially the proportions will undergo more changes. But it should provide an idea of where I am going with this. The lower anchor part will be complemented by its respective top anchor part spanning out of / from behind of the spearhead. I still need to figure out how to make that look good though.

What do you guys think of this? What things might not work even when the design is fully fleshed out? What could be added or left out?

My greatest fear so far is that it won't look recognizable for the faction. But I feel that will improve when the anchor part is complete.

235793523_SymbolBandits.png.a02475dd4be613210f04e578ade50b6e.png

I really like this idea but tbh it reminds me of AC symbol and I do not see the anchor or spear itself in the logo at the first glance. Maybe I would make the anchor a bit more pronounced, so the two elements would not merge into something unrecognizable. 

(I even tried to do something to illustrate my point even though it doesnt feel right to me)

bandits 1.png

Kaliber84 likes this

I'm quite fond of the revisions that I made. The spearhead should be less pronounced and in turn the anchor should be more recognizable as a symbol. The harpoon is in the place which the anchor "handle" would usually be to reinforce the anchor in the image.

Next up would be finishing up and fine-tuning.

• The harpoon will get a second hook
  • The spearhead might see minor reshaping
  • The anchor will be fine-tuned
  • The proportions of single elements (especially line width) will be adjusted to feel more consistent

Any other ideas of how to improve this?

1600513062_SymbolBandits.png.527c60eeec873901b4db204c848763c6.png

PS: Many thanks to the fabulous suggestions by @Kitsurubami and @Wormas who made this design possible. ;)

Wormas likes this

• 3 months later...

Long time no see but I am back yet again to pick up the project once again. And this time I hope I will finish the last 2 symbols (Bandits & Twilight) before university swallows me up completely.

I wasn't satisfied with the Bandits logo from my last post as I felt like it had too much of a maritime flair but no hint towards the desert and sun that is so dominant in most Bandit motives. So the idea was to incorporate the sun into the logo and simplify the existing structures.
For this I have sketched out a new logo that uses the harpoon as the central pillar instead of a crossing arc. The sun then supposedly completes the circle of the anchor and combines both maritime and desert aspects with this. I know that especially given the sketch it does not feel the way I just described but it's just a temporary sketch to build upon.

The main problems are:

• How do I get the sun to actually look like a sun in the logo without distorting the other elements?
  • How can I get the harpoon in the centre to look more in sync with the rest of the logo? (I thought of maybe doing the hooks of the harpoon in the style that I used for the spearhead before)
  • How can I keep the symbol of the anchor clear and simple as it was before with the new additions to the logo?

Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Symbol Bandits.png

10 hours ago, Kaliber84 said:

Long time no see but I am back yet again to pick up the project once again. And this time I hope I will finish the last 2 symbols (Bandits & Twilight) before university swallows me up completely.

I wasn't satisfied with the Bandits logo from my last post as I felt like it had too much of a maritime flair but no hint towards the desert and sun that is so dominant in most Bandit motives. So the idea was to incorporate the sun into the logo and simplify the existing structures.
For this I have sketched out a new logo that uses the harpoon as the central pillar instead of a crossing arc. The sun then supposedly completes the circle of the anchor and combines both maritime and desert aspects with this. I know that especially given the sketch it does not feel the way I just described but it's just a temporary sketch to build upon.

The main problems are:

• How do I get the sun to actually look like a sun in the logo without distorting the other elements?
  • How can I get the harpoon in the centre to look more in sync with the rest of the logo? (I thought of maybe doing the hooks of the harpoon in the style that I used for the spearhead before)
  • How can I keep the symbol of the anchor clear and simple as it was before with the new additions to the logo?

Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Symbol Bandits.png

never noticed this before now, but the original 4 factions look great! Stonekin is also nice, although I'd personally go for more of a diamond shape instead of a heart. Not really feeling lost souls, tbh.

Could you post all the icons together, in color and b&w?

For the bandits symbol, I think it looks good. You might think about splitting the harpoons up, and putting them a bit out of the frame? Here's an example: 

680484622_banditslogo.thumb.png.b2ef73ea35c5346dbda372c01414dd56.png

What do you think of this for twilight? It of course needs someone who can actually draw to rework it.

I tried to combine the idea of a twilight insect (the most "common" twilight theme is probably transforming things into twilight insects) with DNA...

1666556036_twilightlogo.thumb.png.a667027cfd5eccb80e85a9c8a90773c5.png