Wish to contribute to the project by donating? Heads up to our Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

BEWARE: Multiaccounting May Cause Permabans! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RainZy

Seasons/Stat Changes

Hello Skypeoples,

So I have been thinking about this idea for a while the inspiration for it came from the game Overwatch when I use to play it. After reading the forums about ranked pvp, elo and OP decks I have been thinking. ''Is it possible to make people rotate decks?'' I thought about this because people were talking about how switching decks to learn new ones will effect elo plus most people play with whatever is most op in PVP circumstances.

My idea is to possibly implement seasons for ranked pvp, a ranking system similar to the game Overwatch - for those of you who are not familiar with this I shall explain:

Overwatch has a ranking system based on ''SR'' which is our equivalent with elo, you gain points through winning games and you lose them through well...losing however your rank is decided by tier e.g. bronze, silver, gold, diamond etc. (This is similar to CSGO).

What are the benefits of such a system?

- Allows users to keep their rank without feeling too bad in dropping on a global scale (World ranking if you would call it that)

- People who are good at the game will get paired with more skilled players (If this was adjusted it could also be used against dual account boosting?)

- Rewards such as packs/bfp can be used as prizes (Possibly even cards).

Now here is the Idea that i wanted to talk about most - Card Stat changes within seasons!

Nerfing and buffing certain cards, perhaps even tweaking abilities will in my opinion keep the game more exciting for the PVP enthusiast. This will allow for players to experiment with different card builds, add more strategy into the game and a change in meta. I think that this idea would provide the player with a new challenge as they would have to switch around their decks in order for them to work and have an edge over the opponent as stat changes would be a big deal just like in any RTS game.

However I do think this would have to be excluded in PVE and Campaign as stat changes would just cause a hassle in that area of the game.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wish I could put more info and detail about my idea however I am really tired, thanks for reading and I wish to hear what you guys think of the idea, do you think this would be interesting?, Do you like it?, Do you see any cons with this?

The card stat changes don't even have to happen in seasons as they happen anyway due to people complaining about OP cards etc. However I think changing the stats once in a while to change the Meta would be exciting! Of course it would be annoying for some players as they would have to rebuild a deck however I personally don't think its fun to make the Ultimate Deck and not being able to go on from there. 

9 hours ago, RainZy said:

Now here is the Idea that i wanted to talk about most - Card Stat changes within seasons!

Nerfing and buffing certain cards, perhaps even tweaking abilities will in my opinion keep the game more exciting for the PVP enthusiast. This will allow for players to experiment with different card builds, add more strategy into the game and a change in meta. I think that this idea would provide the player with a new challenge as they would have to switch around their decks in order for them to work and have an edge over the opponent as stat changes would be a big deal just like in any RTS game.

No, no, and no.

Seriously the way they balance the game is the worst part about overwatch i do not want this flavour of the month rotation in any game I'm playing.

I haven't played Overwatch, but I have been making balancing/gameplay mods for other RTS games for years.

Balancing is an iterative process where you (on average) approximate a better balanced state of the game until you reach a point where it is "good enough". Perfect balance in such a complex system is neither possible nor necessary. As long as every player can have his own playstyle and all counters are working and in place you have a huge amount of content for everybody to share.

You assessment of "op decks" is correct and there are several imbalances between factions. But this is more a statement about the poor state of faction design and balancr. Which, admittedly is hard with so many cards, but very far away from being impossible.

To get to the point: This is a terrible idea. Once you get to a point that is somewhat fair and gives all factions an equal chance, you make a new patch and essentially say: "Surprise surprise, we all start from scratch again! Happy hunting for broken combos! For the ones whose faction dont have anything op to compete with, good luck next season!"

And honestly, Overwatch isn't necessarily a competitive game. You can play it competitively, but it was made clear by Blizzard many times that they just want it to be a game for casual fun. This actually applies to all their modern games (with exception of Starcraft, but that was released in 2010 and much has changed in the company since then).

9 hours ago, ImaginaryNumb3r said:

I haven't played Overwatch, but I have been making balancing/gameplay mods for other RTS games for years.

Balancing is an iterative process where you (on average) approximate a better balanced state of the game until you reach a point where it is "good enough". Perfect balance in such a complex system is neither possible nor necessary. As long as every player can have his own playstyle and all counters are working and in place you have a huge amount of content for everybody to share.

You assessment of "op decks" is correct and there are several imbalances between factions. But this is more a statement about the poor state of faction design and balancr. Which, admittedly is hard with so many cards, but very far away from being impossible.

To get to the point: This is a terrible idea. Once you get to a point that is somewhat fair and gives all factions an equal chance, you make a new patch and essentially say: "Surprise surprise, we all start from scratch again! Happy hunting for broken combos! For the ones whose faction dont have anything op to compete with, good luck next season!"

And honestly, Overwatch isn't necessarily a competitive game. You can play it competitively, but it was made clear by Blizzard many times that they just want it to be a game for casual fun. This actually applies to all their modern games (with exception of Starcraft, but that was released in 2010 and much has changed in the company since then).

Thank you for the opinion. Like I said it was just an idea, as I dont work on game balancing or fully understand the complexities of it, i dont really know how things work. To me this was just a ''What if'' scenario and just wanted my idea heard.