Wish to contribute to the project by donating? Heads up to our Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

BEWARE: Multiaccounting Will Cause Permabans! Read more... ×
FlameForge

Battleforge on OSX

NOTE: Below is broken until a new launcher for MacOS is made. I will update once this is confirmed to be working

I am sure there will be one guy out there that wants to run Battleforge on his Mac, but isnt sure whether it will work. I will use this thread to document my experience as a Mac only user.

Installation: Easy

Configuration: Easy

The only configuration we need to do, is disable DirectX 11. Wine only has partial support for it, and it currently does not work with Battleforge. By disabling the library, the game will fallback to DirectX 9.

• Open Wine Devel from Spotlight (CMD + Space to open spotlight)
  • in the terminal type: winecfg
  • Under the Applications tab, click the New Application button
  • Navigate to the Battleforge.exe file and click open
  • Make sure the Battleforge application is highlighted. You will see the title of the window change to "Wine configuration for Battleforge.exe"
  • Under the Libraries tab, we will specify an override setting for the DirextX 11 library
  • In the "New override for library" dropbox, type d3d11 to perform a quick search for the library, then click Add once you found it.
  • Hilight the d3d11 entry in the listbox, then click on Edit.
  • Set the load order to Disable
  • Done

Performance and Issues: Minor

• Game would sometimes not capture input on launch. Fixed by alt-tabbing in and out of game.
  • Launcher does not open a window. When closing the game, you also have to close the launcher using terminal. Example:

User-MacBook-Pro:BattleForge username$ ps aux | grep Launcher
username       777   0.0  0.1  5470836  17128   ??  S    12:20PM   0:00.18 Z:\Users\username\Downloads\BattleForge\Launcher.exe 
username       804   0.0  0.0  4267768    892 s001  S+   12:21PM   0:00.00 grep Launcher
User-MacBook-Pro:BattleForge username$ kill 777
User-MacBook-Pro:BattleForge username$ ps aux | grep Launcher
username       806   0.0  0.0  4267768    892 s001  S+   12:21PM   0:00.00 grep Launcher

Edited by FlameForge
bobfrog likes this

you can manually install xQuartz. Brew is nice since it makes it easier to update to latest version. These steps should work in Linux too.

48 minutes ago, FlameForge said:

you can manually install xQuartz. Brew is nice since it makes it easier to update to latest version. These steps should work in Linux too.

Why do you need Xcode or quartz in addition to wine?

Not 100% sure on xCode, but it should be the debugger tool that allows wine to load additional libraries. xQuartz is to provide an x11 desktop environment which wine depends on. 

I have done all the steps and I downloaded everything listed but still the game doesn't work my laptop is mac ox 10.13  can you explain how to start the game or the next step after doing all the steps ?

Edited by Anizi

Hey guys, just FYI, with MacOS 10.15: Catelina, all 32bit application support was removed. Wine will therefore not work until they update this. Furthermore, the current implementation of the Battleforge launcher is written in WPF and makes use of functionality that is not present in MacOS, and will therefore not work until a new launcher is made. I will update the thread to indicate that it is broken until further notice.

The only way I could imagine is, that Wine emulates the 32-bit application into a 64-bit environment somehow. Otherwise yeah, BattleForge can't run on MacOS.

For the Updater (which is currently written in WPF, yes) there might be a solution in some time. I am working on a new version which could be converted to .NET Core when it is working on Windows. Then it should also be able to run on MacOS. But it will take some time until it is usable.