Wish to contribute to the project by donating? Heads up to our Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

BEWARE: Multiaccounting May Cause Permabans! Read more... ×
Codemaster

Open Beta Account Reset Discussion

Hi all,

I first want to say I am extremely pleased to see this project come so far. I cannot wait for the open beta release.

However, I think we can all agree, that when the game launches again it will be in a bit of an odd place. To my knowledge, many of the tools a studio would use grow its community (such as ads) will not be available to the Skylords Reborn team. The community must grow organically through word of mouth. I expect that many in the community will be more than happy to invite their friends to play, but I do think the amount of players drawn in this way will be negligible as Battleforge is an aging game, and despite having the rights to modify the game client, brand new content (cards, maps, extra features) is unlikely. People who have not played the game before may not see the same appeal that we do. So I think it is safe to conclude much of the community will consist of past players and will grow at a relatively slow rate.

I say all of this because of the account reset that is planned before the full release. To some this may seem logical, but again, think objectively of what the possibilities for the growth of this community really is and where many of the players are coming from. If there was good reason to believe that upon full release of the game that there would be a plethora of new players, it may be wise to start everyone off on the same foot. However, as I said before, there will likely be little in the way of new blood. With the somewhat extended nature of the open beta cycle (most players will have likely played through all available game content during this time), an account reset stands to fracture the size of the community.

I would love to know more about the specifics of what an account reset hopes to solve.

Anti Cheat will be only be rudimentary when OB starts, if I got it right this is the main reason for a reset. Btw this is a very good reason to wipe everything on the release imho.

And though it will hurt OB players (at least me) to lose the complete collection, I am sure we will survive it, and it will be funny to start over again. Thats at least my experience with similar resets in other games (like back in the days of DII for example)

Cyber likes this

43 minutes ago, Codemaster said:

Hi all,

I first want to say I am extremely pleased to see this project come so far. I cannot wait for the open beta release.

However, I think we can all agree, that when the game launches again it will be in a bit of an odd place. To my knowledge, many of the tools a studio would use grow its community (such as ads) will not be available to the Skylords Reborn team. The community must grow organically through word of mouth. I expect that many in the community will be more than happy to invite their friends to play, but I do think the amount of players drawn in this way will be negligible as Battleforge is an aging game, and despite having the rights to modify the game client, brand new content (cards, maps, extra features) is unlikely. People who have not played the game before may not see the same appeal that we do. So I think it is safe to conclude much of the community will consist of past players and will grow at a relatively slow rate.

I say all of this because of the account reset that is planned before the full release. To some this may seem logical, but again, think objectively of what the possibilities for the growth of this community really is and where many of the players are coming from. If there was good reason to believe that upon full release of the game that there would be a plethora of new players, it may be wise to start everyone off on the same foot. However, as I said before, there will likely be little in the way of new blood. With the somewhat extended nature of the open beta cycle (most players will have likely played through all available game content during this time), an account reset stands to fracture the size of the community.

I would love to know more about the specifics of what an account reset hopes to solve.

This has somewhat been discussed on this Thread (Closed by Mod)

you can find answers here: https://dev.skylords.eu/

i dont really think they are gonna change their mind about the reset

Edited by steezy

Minus the Anticheat reason which @Volin described, we will give you daily BFP to compensate the lack of quests and similiar post-match rewards. This is unfair for the players that will join after the Open Beta, as Open Beta Testers will have accumulated big sums of BFP much faster than the players that just started will. Plus, the economy will be entirely different in case of daily BFP distribution opposed to case of daily quests.

@fiki574 I can see a point to people wanting a reset ASAP though. Looking at the timetable it seems like Open Beta is going to last for quite some while.

Anti cheat  development progress aside, I think it would be more beneficial to have a reset earlier rather than later due to the arguments that people would be hesitant to start from the very beginning. 

Perhaps at some point in between phase 1 and phase 2 when the daily rewards systems are all into place? If the Anticheat would be sufficiently finished that would be better as another good point and reason to do that is we can test the reward system and amount, before going into full release. If rewards are too much then we could still reset.

Volin likes this

I understand you and others might not like the idea of a reset because your progress will be lost, but the team have said many times to not "no life" the open beta because you will feel more dissapointed about the reset. Also as stated above you will gain an increased amount of bfp and a different economy. So without a reset the economy will be weird and it will be hard for new players to gain up on the rest. So in my opinion it is a good thing, and as Ultrakool sais above the only thing what could maybe be possible is an earlier reset.

All would be fine with me though.

Thanks for the replies, the daily rewards definitely makes it more mandatory, hadn't known about that. I would like to be clear though...

2 hours ago, TheTesla said:

I understand you and others might not like the idea of a reset because your progress will be lost, but the team have said many times to not "no life" the open beta because you will feel more dissapointed about the reset...

@TheTesla This is not about simply not wanting to lose progress. I am unconvinced that telling the community to just not burn themselves out is an effective player retention strategy in planning an account reset. It is still guaranteed to happen to some percentage of the community and without lots of opportunities for growth I feel this should be minimized at all costs.

@Ultrakool has the right idea.

@Codemaster Yes I got that, but this is an open BETA whe are talking about. It's really just a test. I do agree that the loss should be minimized, so if there is any possibility to do the reset as soon as they are done with the daily reward systems. Cause then they can alter the bfp gain speed and it all should be as is supposed to be, in terms of bfp gaining, how fast people get cards and that the economy can start working as it should. So exactly what @Ultrakool proposed. 

For me because there is faster gaining of bfp and the different economy that comes with it in the open beta, there should definitely be a reset. Even with the valid points you gave about the growth of the community. I also think we should hope that we can lure more new/old players to join us once again in the forge ;)

Volin likes this