Important: Open Beta Status Announcement

MrXLink

5 hours ago, MrXLink said:

We are no longer providing you with release dates. We truly are of mind that it upsets and overhypes more community members to an unhealthy extent, than it is actually helpful and supportive towards the community.

i apreciate that alldo it would be nice if we get like a quartal date. for example 1. quartal (jan-Mar) 2. (apr-Jun) 3. (jul-sep) or 4. quartal (okt-Dez) or u can also go with winter spring summer or automme.

that way its kinda of a date but with a big space in case of seasons its less focused on months and if u go into a bigger scale than that then u can also made it 1. half of the year or 2. half. 

if u get all redy working as wanted i would recomend that u give the team a 1 week free space befor anykind of release that way u can also set it on a special day like saturday or so when most dont work. or during the week to lower the traffic a bit.

all together i would have realy wondered if u could have keept the 1. release date in a company this may have worked but on a free programming base and missing exp. on bringing such a thing out did fail, but that wasnt any wonder to me and the following dates was more a wish. but luckly u learded a lot from it and you may never again made such a fail.

(i refer the words u or you as full team and not u alone)

(even if it may sound like a critic its meant positive = failing, trying to save it, overthinking, learning, made it better, never do the same fault again)

keep it up the good work and i dont expect you to act or to be proffessionals of the gameing industry :D & dont apologys all the time faults are everywhere so peoples can make them and hopefully learn from them and this here is new land for you so makeing faults is normalaty and no need to appologys for make them.

Edited by Asraiel
BATTLEF0RGE and fiki574 like this

Hi devs and all others,

Back in the days, I loved to play BattleForge with my wife. I am absolutely thrilled that a group of people wants to bring back this game for us, for free. And then I see a forum where other people take their time to post words or disappointment and fury. This made me join this forum and post my first forum post here.

Dear awesome developers. You are the best, and everybody here should be thankful for your dedication, hard work and countless hours of free time that you sacrifice for the community. Take all the time you need, make this project your masterpiece, and please don't listen to negative feedback on the "release schedule". This is a free project, nobody should expect ANYTHING from you. If you said in the past that you will provide free software filled with fun and joy on date X, and then on date X, you did not (because of reasons), then nobody should be hurt or angry. Nobody lost anything - we just didn't get free stuff (yet)!

Software development is an uncontrollable beast. Even in huge companies with dozens of people, deadlines are missed all the time. You made the right choice - don't rush anything, and the result will be so much better. If you can keep the community updated on the process, we appreciate it.

And then, some glorious day, I will finally build a Worldbreaker Gun again, put a Skyelf Sage next to it, aim, and press the button. And hear one of the most satisfying "BOOM" sounds in game history. It will be my salute to you.

I can wait. It is worth it.

Regards,

Thomas

4 hours ago, Arnoldex said:

A potem, pewnego wspaniałego dnia, w końcu zbuduję Worldbreaker Gun ponownie, umieściłem obok niego Sable Skyelfa, wyceluj i naciśnij przycisk. I posłuchaj jednego z najbardziej satysfakcjonujących dźwięków "BOOM" w historii gry. To będzie dla mnie pozdrowienie.

Mogę poczekać. Jest tego warte.

Pozdrowienia,

Tomasz

I see that you have waited a long time for this game, I am glad that I can read and write your opinions: Dear programmers (artists) do what you have to do, do not give up, keep your fingers crossed for the project and do the job and how I can do it wait a few more years.

PS:

I apologize for my English, but I have enough of his weaknesses.

On 3/26/2018 at 3:16 AM, MrXLink said:

We are not going to give you any exact Open Beta completion times anymore. We will be more broad in our approach, and development timeframes will be larger.

Frankly, the fact that this decision was delayed is the most disappointing thing here. F**k the hype train: don't make promises you can't keep; it's really that simple. We're all perfectly willing to wait and have been for many years. But because it has been such a long time, any promises you make aren't going to build into hype, they're going to be instant hype bombs with just as severe disappointment if you can't deliver. Respect that we're going to be ecstatic about release entirely regardless of when that happens as long as you deliver. And if you don't think the few of us who've been chatting and lurking here for years aren't going to tell literally everyone we know that BattleForge is back, you're sorely mistaken. So forget about us. Forget about hype. Forget about community management or transparency and all your bullshit excuses. Just deliver.

Bkingn and Sheepmonster like this

I am fine with no dates and I know that delays happen. Whatever happens happens, the only stake I have in this is that I would like the opportunity to play BattleForge again.

But honestly, I am getting more worried about the general atmosphere and by the fact that some devs themselves can't keep their hype in check. What's with the

For those still doubting us, calling this biggest Internet scam and similiar names - you will be proven wrong very soon! The derailed hype train will be back on track in no time!

in the update? Can you be more polarizing? I understand that there is passion behind the project but it just goes off the far end. People take this whole thing way too personal. And inflammatory swipes like this aren't helping anyone. Neither do I think the heartfelt apologies are having the intended effect. I would mainly just aim for a lower profile, keep it interactive and transparent but don't go overboard either way.

What kind of community do you want to foster? I see it steering towards "Us VS Them". Just a hostile environment with angry mobs that attack anyone that dares voice doubts. Do not get your ego involved. Technical issues can be resolves easier than a broken community. And let's not forget that a BIG focus should be on a welcoming and friendly community as it will most likely be relatively small and needs every active member it can get.

On a related note, the up- and down-vote system does not help it either. It discourages voicing controversial statements because of the possible retribution of red pixels and encourages just preaching with the choir creating an echo-chamber and generally a more volatile environment for discussion. Especially since it is not anonymous. It also just brands people that may have had one post that others didn't like among other neutral ones to the point where creating a new account is easier than trying to get positive standing again.

Again, at this point I am less worried about the state of the game than the state of the community from top to bottom and where it could be headed.

@Cocofang Thank you for bringing a topic worth discussing to this place!

There will always be some polarity within a community, and friction between avid fans and nay-sayers but it's true that this doesn't usually extend to include dev teams. I understand that it is frustrating to be doubted and that it can be difficult to rise above that, but it really is what must be done when you are leading a community. The role as devs/mods/any other position of power is to ensure the success of the game, which is best done by creating a good atmosphere and welcoming everyone into the fold. Ok, not everyone, there are people who take things too far and whom the majority of the community would not want to see 'welcomed' but these are exceptional cases, not simply people who question things. Trolls and others who are here to destroy the experience can (should be?) excluded, but others should be brought on board and the best way to do that is to keep heads down, carry on with the job and prove your work to them.

At the end of the day, tensions are high on all sides right now: devs are tired of being questioned, a lot of the community are sick of hearing "open beta when?", and the people desperate for open beta are exhausted from the cycles of hype and disappointment. We all need to get along here and it is everybody's job to try to make that happen. Fortunately, I do think that @Cocofang is wrong on one count, I don't believe that there is an "us vs them" culture here, or indeed close by. It is, however, something we need to be aware of because at times like this it's a slippery slope into it.

As for the second point, that is a much more real issue (or as real an issue as the colour of a dot below your forum avatar can be - #1stworldproblems) as demonstrated nicely by the posts of @LeSighduck and @Cocofang above. Both perfectly well made posts expressing valid opinions in a non-inflammatory way, but both downvoted because they aren't positive. To me a discussion forum should be for exactly that, discussion. And discussions are really, really dull when everybody agrees with one another.

Edited by Archeon
Sheepmonster likes this

32 minutes ago, Archeon said:

As for the second point, that is a much more real issue (or as real an issue as the colour of a dot below your forum avatar can be - #1stworldproblems) as demonstrated nicely by the posts of @LeSighduck and @Cocofang above. Both perfectly well made posts expressing valid opinions in a non-inflammatory way, but both downvoted because they aren't positive. To me a discussion forum should be for exactly that, discussion. And discussions are really, really dull when everybody agrees with one another.

You can disagree without getting vulgar and disrespectful. He called devs statements ,,bullshit excuses'' and tells them what to do. How is that not inflammatory? If somebody gets a red rep from me it's not because of him disagreeing with me or somebody else, it's because he lacks manners or respect.

Edited by SunWu II.

28 minutes ago, SunWu II. said:

You can disagree without getting vulgar and disrespectful. He called devs statements ,,bullshit excuses'' and tells them what to do. How is that not inflammatory? If somebody gets a red rep from me it's not because of him disagreeing with me or somebody else, it's because he lacks manners or respect.

Ok, I admit to only having ready about 2/3 of the post because walloftext :$ That said, I'd still call it more of an impassioned speech than pure insult slinging.

Well from what I understand from modding multiple games, playing with code goes something like this,

Image result for 99 bugs in the code meme

so the reasons why something is delayed usually have a perfectly valid reason.  Granted it is very disappointing, but you must know that delays are especially disappointing for the team that is working on the project; because, not only do they have the disappointment of not being able to release something that they worked very hard on, but also disappointment that they have to scour the code and play whack-a-mole with even more problems while having to notify the fan-base about the delay and have to deal with people who are aggravated at them because of the delay.  So @developers, thanks for all your hard work, and sorry about all the negativity that you have to deal with. 

6 hours ago, Treim said:

Great deck i only have 2 questions:

1.Why do you post that in this thread

2.How do you reach t2?

Probably a booster he opened on https://allcards.skylords.eu/deck.html?d=Qm9vc3Rlcj4zMDV8MzU4fDUwNnw3NnwxMzd8MjE4fDI3NHwzNDZ8

Funnily when I checked if it was really 8 cards, I got a promo swamp drake. Guess I'm rich now

Treim likes this

24 minutes ago, Navarr said:

Probably a booster he opened on https://allcards.skylords.eu/deck.html?d=Qm9vc3Rlcj4zMDV8MzU4fDUwNnw3NnwxMzd8MjE4fDI3NHwzNDZ8

Funnily when I checked if it was really 8 cards, I got a promo swamp drake. Guess I'm rich now

Oh wow you‘re actually correct about that - i didn‘t even realize but the rarities actually fall in line with that. Guess would be too much of a coincidence having 8 cards exact, a possible amount of rarities, in the exact order they would appear in a booster and a deck that otherwise makes no sense.... Thanks man, I am an idiot :(

Edited by Treim
Navarr likes this

10 hours ago, Unknown said:

image.png.aaf3a99231baf9d28459863caa4200a6.png

Nice booster, especially that third card from the left.:kappa: However, this isn’t really the right thread for you to post that in. Might I suggest this thread for that?  

Please try to stay on topic in the future ;) 

13 hours ago, Zoidberg said:

As long as it is released someday, I'm fine to wait, atleast at a game which i thought is dead for 5 years. And Boy for a dead Game it looks like promising Progress

so you are ok if it will be released in 3 years,life is too short :)

9 hours ago, wertyy said:

so you are ok if it will be released in 3 years,life is too short :)

You can live your life while waiting. It's not like you can't do anything when you wait for the game to move to open beta. That's what I've been doing since 2015 when I joined this project. I go on with my life, but keep an eye on the progress.