Wish to contribute to the project by donating? Heads up to our Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

BEWARE: Multiaccounting Will Cause Permabans! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
IceKin

Yea i will say it: what about blockchain?

Blockchain technology is starting to have a role inside games aside from markets, so as cryptoenthusiast I would ask: what if skylords reborn database was hold on a blockchain?

We would have an impossible to hack or cheat game where all players informations are stored in the most secure way.

BFP could be the blockchain token, and instead of a daily quest system, users could just gain own tokens based on ingame activity or being active on token market.

So if you have time to play you can just play and earn a share of weekly mined token, if you have no time because you work, you can buy tokens from market and focus your play time on getting gold.

Each week a set amount of BFP is mined on blockchain, a part goes to dev team to sustain server, a part goes to users. The initial liquidity would be set by a token pre sale where all users can prebuy BFP to a set price, then BFP will answer to market demand/offer.

This is not a real suggestion more like a "what you think about this guys?"

Will this game cost me money?
How do we earn BFP?

Nope! Skylords Reborn will be completely free to play, and you will be able to earn your BFP through daily quests and playtime. You will of course gain more BFP than the original 2 you would receive from the original game.

How about no if i'm reading this right and I understand what blockchain is? 

Well, you can't hack or cheat the game either way since the server holds your account data. It does all the calculations regarding BFP internally and you have no way to cheat the system due to this.

Also, for blockchain to work you need mining as this is part of the security ensurace. And with mining i mean having your cpu doing pointless calculations to make confirming transactions "hard". This obviously ALSO means that every single transaction in the game is getting delayed and that your gpu, that is running the game gets fried and destroys your performance. It's terrible for real-time transactions, really.

Additionally we are not allowed to offer tokens for real-world money. We would definatly get shut down if we try to make money.

Shalade likes this

19 hours ago, LagOps said:

Well, you can't hack or cheat the game either way since the server holds your account data. It does all the calculations regarding BFP internally and you have no way to cheat the system due to this.

Also, for blockchain to work you need mining as this is part of the security ensurace. And with mining i mean having your cpu doing pointless calculations to make confirming transactions "hard". This obviously ALSO means that every single transaction in the game is getting delayed and that your gpu, that is running the game gets fried and destroys your performance. It's terrible for real-time transactions, really.

Additionally we are not allowed to offer tokens for real-world money. We would definatly get shut down if we try to make money.

Coin could just be premined, no need to mine them, no energy is needed with new proof of stake system.

As said in OP this isn't a suggestione because the dev can't sell things for money

It is a just a discussion topic about how the whole thing could work :) 

I feel no one here really know what is blockchain, especially if people say online server can't be hacked (lol) and if people say NO (to what?) without knowing what is this all about.

I feel like it's just free hate right now for no reason

Edited by IceKin

12 minutes ago, IceKin said:

Coin could just be premined, no need to mine them, no energy is needed with new proof of stake system.

As said in OP this isn't a suggestione because the dev can't sell things for money

It is a just a discussion topic about how the whole thing could work :) 

I feel no one here really know what is blockchain, especially if people say online server can't be hacked (lol) and if people say NO (to what?) without knowing what is this all about.

I feel like it's just free hate right now for no reason

Allright, let me get this straight:

What i was saying is that couldn't "cheat" the server, not that you couldn't hack the server. The server needs to have the authority to give out coins to reward players (or at least have a near endless supply of tokens), right?

So, if you actually hack the server you can...

- talk to the database and fake records, i.e. give you tons of boosters, get passwords of other players, delete accounts, set your own dayly rewards as not rescieved, make yourself an admin account, set yourself as owner of all cards currently in the auction house and the list goes on and on... unless you use blockchain for literally everything there will allways be a way to mess with the database

- issue transactions and shower ppl with free bfp. even worse: after that happend it was logged and acknowledged by a decentralized network. you are not gonna undo that unless you as the server have spectial rights. but if the server has special rights, then where is the point in using blockchain? 

Let's assume you can run a blockchain and also assume that you don't need to mine any coins and that transactions are instant and cheap. I was basing my post around how for instance bitcoin works as that is the most common way of doing things. I was unaware you could have security without mining as mining was allways presented as a nessecary component to generate money AND make the system tampering proof (i MUST be an idiot not knowing what cryptocurrencies are IF i am not super up to date with new developements, right?). So even if there are a few magical cryptocurrencies that somehow don't need mining to be secure (i.e. they are a scam where the creator of the coin holds all money initially and you need to buy it from him if you want it. The inventor literally holds the entire market value of the coin initially... even if he can't print money afterwards, he DID print all the money in the beginning. Nice way to get rich without any effort afterwards), what exactly does that improve over just having the server manage to currency? 

So to summarize:

-Server getting hacked is a critical failure with or without coins

-With blockchain you can't just load in backups to undo players cheating themeselves money by hacking the server

Sincerely,

A computer science master student who knows what cryptocurrencies are and doesn't think servers can't be hacked

anonyme0273 likes this

6 hours ago, LagOps said:

I was unaware you could have security without mining as mining was allways presented as a nessecary component to generate money AND make the system tampering proof (i MUST be an idiot not knowing what cryptocurrencies are IF i am not super up to date with new developements, right?). So even if there are a few magical cryptocurrencies that somehow don't need mining to be secure 

ehm

XRP?

Cardano?

Stellar?

Tron?

Yup all unsecure and scammy coins

Nvm dude :)

3 hours ago, IceKin said:

ehm

XRP?

Cardano?

Stellar?

Tron?

Yup all unsecure and scammy coins

Nvm dude :)

I admit not to know what these currencies are about and how they work.

You said you wanted to create a discussion? I will take you up on that one as i am willing to argue about the points you made. Please give me a proper and well reasoned argument in return. Otherwise you are not creating a discussion at all as you are unwilling to respond to arguments made by others.

Since you do seem to be informed about coins without mining involved and seem to be of the oppinion that they are not scam (scam in the sense that the inventor gets filthy rich because he owns all the currency initially), please tell me how i can earn currency if i don't mine them? What are my options? Where do the coins originate from?

Or maybe you don't think that the creator owning all the coins initially is scam? If so, please tell me why this is acceptable for you?

If they do not use a mining-based scheme, how do those systems prevent manipulation? To manipulate classical cryptocurrencies you would need to own a significant, if not more than half, of the entire network to make your blockcain the most trustworthy in the eyes of the network. By not requireing work to be done to confirm a block, this obviously doesn't work anymore. What else do those currencies do to establish and measure trust?

Also, please refer to the other points i made in my post; You said that servers are not secure, which is true, but how could cryptocurrencies still make the economy safe if you cannot trust the game server?

nanke likes this

I'd personally have no interest playing some dodgy Blockchain implementation, sorry but I think your idea to cause overwear on graphics card's is a bad idea and will only seek to drive up the already highly fluctuating market on GPU's, as cryptocurrency based crap has already done massively.

Furthermore the only games currently implementing this tech  I was able to find are some awful online gambling/vaporware trash and  " High Fidelity " the newest creation by the studio that brought the bastion of social refuse people call "second life" .

I'm aware that the devs here are fairly reasonable and should dismiss this idea, but I comment just to tell you personally Icekin that blockchain tech in games is a fucking terrible idea.

cheers

Edited by creme_de_la_bear
grammar
LagOps likes this

10 hours ago, LagOps said:

I admit not to know what these currencies are about and how they work.

You said you wanted to create a discussion? I will take you up on that one as i am willing to argue about the points you made. Please give me a proper and well reasoned argument in return. Otherwise you are not creating a discussion at all as you are unwilling to respond to arguments made by others.

Since you do seem to be informed about coins without mining involved and seem to be of the oppinion that they are not scam (scam in the sense that the inventor gets filthy rich because he owns all the currency initially), please tell me how i can earn currency if i don't mine them? What are my options? Where do the coins originate from?

Or maybe you don't think that the creator owning all the coins initially is scam? If so, please tell me why this is acceptable for you?

If they do not use a mining-based scheme, how do those systems prevent manipulation? To manipulate classical cryptocurrencies you would need to own a significant, if not more than half, of the entire network to make your blockcain the most trustworthy in the eyes of the network. By not requireing work to be done to confirm a block, this obviously doesn't work anymore. What else do those currencies do to establish and measure trust?

Also, please refer to the other points i made in my post; You said that servers are not secure, which is true, but how could cryptocurrencies still make the economy safe if you cannot trust the game server?

You are a "computer master science student", you expressed you opinions implyng you know more about me because you had such degree, then you come here to ask for explainations.

You keep asking questions with no sense at all, it seems to me you are something like 5 years behind on updates on crypto & blockchain

20 hours ago, LagOps said:

(i MUST be an idiot not knowing what cryptocurrencies are IF i am not super up to date with new developements, right?)

I don't know what you are, but surely as computer master science student you REALLY need to keep updated on blockchain since it's the most important discovery of digital era after the internet. So search for coin I cited above and make your own opinion instead of putting hate here and kill discussion.

This topic was meant to discuss about blockchain application on skylords reborn and generally in games, i won't teach anything to anyone. If you know what I'm talking about it's ok, if you are here to spread bullshit, go over man.

Honestly, reading other replies seems the blockchain idea is generally not clear, but seems people like to answer without any knowledge.

I'm really sorry for this thread, I tought it could be a nice topic to dicuss on. Maybe we can do same discussion in about a couple of years :P

Peace :)

@IceKin Let me be very clear: I added the bit about my background because you attempted to discredit me (and basically everyone else in this thread) and my opinion by saying

"I feel no one here really know what is blockchain, especially if people say online server can't be hacked (lol) and if people say NO (to what?) without knowing what is this all about."

I was not implying that i knew more than you about cryptocurrencies than you did, i explicitly stated "I admit not to know what these currencies are about and how they work (in regards to mining-free currencies)" and "I was basing my post around how for instance bitcoin works as that is the most common way of doing things. I was unaware you could have security without mining as mining was allways presented as a nessecary component to generate money AND make the system tampering proof (i MUST be an idiot not knowing what cryptocurrencies are IF i am not super up to date with new developements, right?)"

Now, which subfields of computer science did i study the most and chose to focus on? Computer graphics and computer vision. Are bitcoins relevant to those fields? I don't think so and that's why i only have a passing intrest in cryptocurrencies. I still thought them important enough to at least learn what the fuzz is all about and how they work. Of course, to you, cryptocurrencies are "the most important discovery of digital era after the internet" and since i do not share that opinion, i guess that means that you can discredit me once again.

Let me tell you how i feel about cryptocurrencies: Right now, hardly anyone uses them in the sense of a currency and most of the transactions are made to exchange the currency itself with other currencies. Cryptocurrencies are viewed as investment opertunities right now and due to speculation the currency is overvalued and unstable to the point where it is difficult to even use it for its intended purpose. The technology itself is very interesting and the concept seems solid and i feel that it does have a future beyond a highly speculative investment opertunity. Calling it "the most important discovery of digital era after the internet" is maybe a bit much tho. The potential is there, but it hasn't been realised yet.

"I'm really sorry for this thread, I tought it could be a nice topic to dicuss on. Maybe we can do same discussion in about a couple of years"

Now i am really confused... wasn't i trying to start a discussions asking open questions and pointing out apparent problems for the use of cryptocurrencies in games? Why can't we suddenly discuss this? I feel that i made some valid points, but all i get in response is you trying to police the discussion, discredit the opinion of others and strawman my position. "Maybe we can do same discussion in about a couple of years"? It feels more like "Maybe you can agree to my opinion when i try again". This is an open discussion and it will not stop because you are unable to refute my arguments. Please give me a proper response where you argue about what i said and not about me.

28 minutes ago, LagOps said:

@IceKin Let me be very clear: I added the bit about my background because you attempted to discredit me (and basically everyone else in this thread) and my opinion by saying

"I feel no one here really know what is blockchain, especially if people say online server can't be hacked (lol) and if people say NO (to what?) without knowing what is this all about."

I was not implying that i knew more than you about cryptocurrencies than you did, i explicitly stated "I admit not to know what these currencies are about and how they work (in regards to mining-free currencies)" and "I was basing my post around how for instance bitcoin works as that is the most common way of doing things. I was unaware you could have security without mining as mining was allways presented as a nessecary component to generate money AND make the system tampering proof (i MUST be an idiot not knowing what cryptocurrencies are IF i am not super up to date with new developements, right?)"

Now, which subfields of computer science did i study the most and chose to focus on? Computer graphics and computer vision. Are bitcoins relevant to those fields? I don't think so and that's why i only have a passing intrest in cryptocurrencies. I still thought them important enough to at least learn what the fuzz is all about and how they work. Of course, to you, cryptocurrencies are "the most important discovery of digital era after the internet" and since i do not share that opinion, i guess that means that you can discredit me once again.

Let me tell you how i feel about cryptocurrencies: Right now, hardly anyone uses them in the sense of a currency and most of the transactions are made to exchange the currency itself with other currencies. Cryptocurrencies are viewed as investment opertunities right now and due to speculation the currency is overvalued and unstable to the point where it is difficult to even use it for its intended purpose. The technology itself is very interesting and the concept seems solid and i feel that it does have a future beyond a highly speculative investment opertunity. Calling it "the most important discovery of digital era after the internet" is maybe a bit much tho. The potential is there, but it hasn't been realised yet.

"I'm really sorry for this thread, I tought it could be a nice topic to dicuss on. Maybe we can do same discussion in about a couple of years"

Now i am really confused... wasn't i trying to start a discussions asking open questions and pointing out apparent problems for the use of cryptocurrencies in games? Why can't we suddenly discuss this? I feel that i made some valid points, but all i get in response is you trying to police the discussion, discredit the opinion of others and strawman my position. "Maybe we can do same discussion in about a couple of years"? It feels more like "Maybe you can agree to my opinion when i try again". This is an open discussion and it will not stop because you are unable to refute my arguments. Please give me a proper response where you argue about what i said and not about me.

Again, 

search for ripple/xrp

you are totally ignorant tryng to make points, won't waste time replyn people like you.