too much grinding ?

RidenE

Imo it's not to much grinding. It's not that hard to get a decent deck. I can't play every day, and when I play I have limited time since I have to study etc, but still I already have some good decks. Yes, I don't have all the good cards I used back in the days, but I think it's good that the progression takes its time. More like the progression is to fast, but I think it's okay like it is. 

Giving all players access to all cards would destroy a big part of the game, imo. 

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:33 AM, RidenE said:

BattleForge will soon be dead again because casual gamers and players who are new to this game, will get fed up and leave.

Seriously!!!!   I don't think so.  They tried to kill it 10 years ago and now look where we are.   I've been playing this for approximately 1 month.   I have had a great time grinding and building my decks.  Now I have a deck which is 100 +.   People....we have to work to get what we want, this means grinding.   People who (even though they work in real life) have to grind to achieve, and if you do have a job it's going to take longer.  Well that's life!      Do you really want to get everything you need quickly just so you can beat people at PvP????    When this first came out years ago and I started playing PvP I got murdered for months until I could get a decent deck and also build my playing skills up.  When I finally started winning I felt like I really had achieved something.   Imagine if I didn't have to grind and get my cards and upgrades, where is the challenge in that?   

So my advice.  Play with what you have, get cards and upgrades like everyone else, and stop whining!  Get better!  Then you will have really achieved something.  :bf:

PsYcHo126 likes this

12 hours ago, WolvenX said:

Seriously!!!!   I don't think so.  They tried to kill it 10 years ago and now look where we are.   I've been playing this for approximately 1 month.   I have had a great time grinding and building my decks.  Now I have a deck which is 100 +.   People....we have to work to get what we want, this means grinding.   People who (even though they work in real life) have to grind to achieve, and if you do have a job it's going to take longer.  Well that's life!      Do you really want to get everything you need quickly just so you can beat people at PvP????    When this first came out years ago and I started playing PvP I got murdered for months until I could get a decent deck and also build my playing skills up.  When I finally started winning I felt like I really had achieved something.   Imagine if I didn't have to grind and get my cards and upgrades, where is the challenge in that?   

So my advice.  Play with what you have, get cards and upgrades like everyone else, and stop whining!  Get better!  Then you will have really achieved something.  :bf:

This. Exactly my thoughts. 

13 hours ago, WolvenX said:

Guess what? Age of Mythology EE and Age of Empires DE both went this way, the community left after roughly 1 year is less than 10% of the original player base, with only a couple of hardcore gamers left. In AoM I could easily find quickmatches within a few seconds. Nowadays I can search for half an hour and still get no game.

https://steamcharts.com/app/266840#All

AoE DE unfortunately has no player tracking, but the amount of lobbies open during 20:00 GMT (when I use to play) was originally at ~ 30 lobbies.
Right now you have 2-5. Your statement is nonsense.

Most ppl will play some pvp matches, get stomped by players with more upgrades/OP meta cards and notice that their units/decks/upgrades are not enough. Some will try to get better/try out other decks etc. But over time most of then leave and play something else.

If the meta and game itself is stale and not enhanced over time this allows players to abuse weaknesses in the game mechanics that are unintended by the devs (like bugs in Crusade map for example) and this alienates most new players. Nobody likes to loose to bug or engine abusing or OP/broken card combinations. There needs to be a clear path:

1) time played <-> reward balance for 24/7 players and casual gamers : the rewards need to be big enough for players with limited time to enjoy the game and feel like they've achieved something. Also they need to be small enough that hardcore grinders do not get a huge lead over others just by being ingame all day. There are lots of ways to do that. For example quest stacking - someone who was not online for 3 days can play the 30min daily quest 2 times, giving him 2 boosters. This way he's only 1 booster behind someone who had spent 3 days ingame and grabbed the daily rewards.

2) card balance : The game needs to feel "fair". That means that a newer player needs to have the feeling that he could have won the game if he had played better or had a more optimised deck. If he feels that he got stomped because his enemy had more card charges, an OP unit card or more upgrades this will lower the motivation to contiinue playing. And the more this happens the higher the chance becomes that he'll leave the game. Which is the worst that can happen.

In general there are too many useless/niche cards, especially for rare/ultra rare. Opening boosters is crap when you get a rare/ultra rare card that you cannot use in your decks at all (because it's too weak or has a useless effect in general) and that isn't even worth something because nobody wants to buy or trade it. I personally think this is the most important issue that needs to be fixed for BF to be successful in the long run.

3) Grinding mechanic for card upgrades: depending on the daily rewards allow card upgrades "faster", i.e. quest lines like "play 2 campaign missions and get a random fire card upgrade"

4) booster/market system : more different options to get cards, different types of boosters for example (i.e. "small booster", or "buy a single uncommen card for 50 bfp" etc.)

These are just some quick thoughts and in no way relate to a finished concept. But for sure you need to have short time and long time motivation for the game.

Edited by DarcReaver
Fimion likes this

On 11/16/2018 at 11:39 PM, WolvenX said:

you do realise that Battleforge was and is still a niche game, that the playerbase is small and now all grown up and bound in families and job, yes? all thats left are loyalists who just want to enjoy the game that was taken from them.

if you frustrate them too much, they will leave and further reducing the player count - who will buy your ridiculously overpriced cards then?

the easiest way of fixing the card economy without giving everyone every card is locking the maximum prices, maybe like max 150-300 bfp for normal cards, 3000 bfp for promos. that way, everyone has their old deck basis back in 20-40 days max of daily quest reward bfp and a promo card would take you 20 days of the daily quest reward bfp.

maybe modify the prices a bit to your liking (max 500 bfp for normals, max 5000 for promos) but that would be a much easier solution imo, since some cards prices are just insane and make me wish EAs rule back when we had the option to throw money at the problem.

• 3 months later...

Hi! So great BF is back! I almost wouldn't have believed it.

I'm pretty chilled with the grind. As far as I got the idea, it's still pretty fair for working people.

It always was one of BFs pillars to not having every card easily. I spent more money for BFP than for every other game I consumed and never regretted it.

Just enjoy that you start from scratch and that it will (hopefully) take a long time to get where you want. That'll be the time you'll enjoy the game.

fiki574 likes this

And some people managed to get all the promos in a first week, besides absolutely legally.
How did you gather your cards? Boosters only? If yes, then it explains why it took so much time.
I got many essential cards from boosters, but none of them were pure cards. Neither of them are hyper expensive, except one or two of them. The most expensive card for me was Wheel of Gifts. And despite not selling anything i got from boosters, and rather only accumulate different cards by buying them, i still have decent decks and moreover great bfp estate in cards only. So, if i decided to create a pure deck of 120 lvl (fully upgraded, fully charged), i would be able to get to at least lvl 80-100 depending on deck build at the very least. Note: i was not playing a lot. I have done <50 quests according to the achievement. And most of the time i was either buying cards through AH, or trade (which is usually cheaper).

I think it's good, that it doesn't pay to play a lot.

If you get 1 Booster a day for playing 1-2 hours and 2 additional per week, you have 8 Boosters per week. With 10% usable cards (for starters more) you have 6-7 usable new cards or charges.

Correct?

After a month you have some cards to build different decks with. But it shouldn't be more playtime with the same deck.