too much grinding ?

RidenE

Hello

First of all i want to thank the Skylords Reborn Team for bringing this game back.

So here is my question:

Since i am a very busy person i wont have much time to play BattleForge, i will only be able to play on the weekend(sometimes even only on Sunday).

I have read that players earn BFP by doing daily quests,but unfortunately i wont be able to play on a daily basis.

So id like to know if i will be able to get good cards(especially for PvP) in a reasonable amount of time.

Onyx0 likes this

Hey RidenE,

Obtaining BFP and cards won't be solely reliant on completing daily quests. The current proposal is that up to 9 quests can stack up so you could complete them all on said weekend or Sunday. Additionally, you will be rewarded for playtime as well, gaining high rewards for playing the game, slowly getting less over time. You can review the reward proposal in detail over here: 

Onyx0 likes this

1 hour ago, MrXLink said:

Hey RidenE,

Obtaining BFP and cards won't be solely reliant on completing daily quests. The current proposal is that up to 9 quests can stack up so you could complete them all on said weekend or Sunday. Additionally, you will be rewarded for playtime as well, gaining high rewards for playing the game, slowly getting less over time. You can review the reward proposal in detail over here: 

Wait, the longer you play, the less reward you get???

6 minutes ago, Defqon said:

Wait, the longer you play, the less reward you get???

It's called a soft cap. Say, the first half an hour you get 20BFP, the next half hour you get 19BFP, so you'd get 39 in an hour. Then going to 18BFP the next 30m, 17 half an hour after that, so after 2 hours you'll have 74BFP etc. etc.
It means you'll get more BFP the more you play, but the reward per timeslot decreases slowly. This makes sure that infrequent players will not have too much of a drawback from being unable to play a lot, and rewards players for coming back the day after. This way you can play the game the way you want without having to depend on a certain strategy to get enough out of your playtime. This is described in my post. 

Sekij likes this

22 minutes ago, MrXLink said:

It's called a soft cap. Say, the first half an hour you get 20BFP, the next half hour you get 19BFP, so you'd get 39 in an hour. Then going to 18BFP the next 30m, 17 half an hour after that, so after 2 hours you'll have 74BFP etc. etc.
It means you'll get more BFP the more you play, but the reward per timeslot decreases slowly. This makes sure that infrequent players will not have too much of a drawback from being unable to play a lot, and rewards players for coming back the day after. This way you can play the game the way you want without having to depend on a certain strategy to get enough out of your playtime. This is described in my post. 

aaaaah okay i get it, really good this way! i love it & sorry i must have missed that part somehow :3

12 hours ago, MrXLink said:

Hey RidenE,

Thanks, but that didnt really answer my question.

Id like to know how long it will take me to get a competitive PvP deck, pure Shadow for example.

How many BFP will i earn if i complete some quests and play for lets say 3 hours?

And how much will Boosters cost?

I know this game is still in closed Beta and that it has no reward system yet, but a vague estimation would be nice.

Edited by RidenE

1 hour ago, RidenE said:

Thanks, but that didnt really answer my question.

Id like to know how long it will take me to get a competitive PvP deck, pure Shadow for example.

How many BFP will i earn if i complete some quests and play for lets say 3 hours?

And how much will Boosters cost?

I know this game is still in closed Beta and that it has no reward system yet, but an vague estimation would be nice.

I can't give any estimation yet as of prices and such, but I'll be sure to make an announcement thread when we have such an indication.

5 hours ago, Babonja said:

yeah but its a lilte too "working class" unfriendly. When im avay from 07:00-19:00 and get on my pc from 21:00-23:00 i will fall behind some kinds who have time to play whole day and make multi acc. :mo:

Thats exactly what im concerned about,if Players who grind multiple hours a day get a significant advantage over people who dont have that much time to play,

BattleForge will soon be dead again because casual gamers and players who are new to this game, will get fed up and leave.

In my opinion grind to win can be much worse than pay to win, especially when trying to make this game more popular.

I hope the devs will find a way to make both hardcore Players and casuals happy.

Edited by RidenE
Fimion likes this

i think the devs know what they do there and i am sure multis will be found out easy ^^ its not that big community i will play my 10 hours per day but just cause i can and i loved the game :D and Battleforge is a game were you can help each other :D so if i play much i can help guys like you in some missions :) and so you have something out of it :) so don´t worry 

15 hours ago, RidenE said:

Thats exactly what im concerned about,if Players who grind multiple hours a day get a significant advantage over people who dont have that much time to play,

BattleForge will soon be dead again because casual gamers and players who are new to this game, will get fed up and leave.

In my opinion grind to win can be much worse than pay to win, especially when trying to make this game more popular.

I hope the devs will find a way to make both hardcore Players and casuals happy.

Even tho some people will grind the game and possible use multiple accounts, they still have to buy boosters to obtain cards.

So the price of most cards will drop because it will be too many of them, yes enlightenment, avatar of frost, firedancer, dreadcharger, wheel of gifts etc will cost a lot, but you should have no problem building a good deck for 500-1000 bfp 1 month after release.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2018 at 5:44 PM, mepsi2001 said:

I think ive never had problems with building decks which are cheap and efficient. Also its only fair that people who play more, get rewarded more. (Ofc. not in an exponential extent)

Basically, this. I understand the sentiment from people who can't play often that they might end up behind in terms of cards, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Person A can only play 5 hours a week but wants to be able to build a competitive PvP deck really quickly. Person B can only play 2 hours a week but wants that same competitive deck despite playing less than half as much. Otherwise you might as well just give everyone every card at their first login.

First off, to anyone against the soft cap, remember that in the original there was a hard cap, which would get you just under 3 boosters per year if you logged in every single day. Then you had to spend money which, incidentally, was something of the balancing factor between persons A and B above; B bought more BFP with the money they probably had from working more and playing less.

Seems like a soft cap is the best way to go about it as things stand, most games have something similar to help keep players roughly level, whether it's rested XP bonus or first win of the day bonus or diminishing returns over time. Glad there is some consideration to those of us who would like to get involved in PvP without knowing we're miles behind the curve after a few days!

Also remember that upgrades (gold) will still be totally grinadble, so if that's balanced well then you can get ahead there just the same as you could in the original.

On 25/01/2018 at 7:37 AM, MrXLink said:

Pretty sure this was a similar system used in WoW,  with regards to EXP gain. Perhaps one of the vanilla patches? I personally am okay with it, however if I remember correctly this system back fired as the community felt it was being punished for playing the game more. Therefore blizzard flipped it on its head and introduced the rest system which rewarded players to have a break instead of punishing those who grinded and ultimately it worked. You might consider perhaps implementing something like this down the line if you encounter the same issue?

Edited by A Potato in HD

Give people opportunity for grinding, they will do it ... give people opportunity for making profit by creating multiple accounts, they will create them ... give people possibility for market profit trading, they will trade. Sadly, this is how world works and to satisfy all is almost impossible.

• 9 months later...

as it is now, the game isnt exactly fun for re-beginning players. seriously, whats the point of grinding in a game that hasnt more than 100 players at all times anyway? give beginners like 30-50 boosters or even better every card in the game to play around and test (thats what a beta is for, right?). even EA managed to give the players all cards in the last month of Battleforges existance and since the players of Skylords are only veterans that want to play their old decks anyway, whats the point of locking the cards behind a market if there is no financial benefit?

and the best joke is, even if someone has his ultimate deck back in the beta, he will very likely lose all his progress once the beta goes life again, so he has to grind it a third time. doesnt sound like much fun to me.

honestly i was very exited about this game as soon as i heard from it one year ago and did only just notice yesterday that there is a beta, but as it is now, im very disappointed.

9 hours ago, Genesis23 said:

as it is now, the game isnt exactly fun for re-beginning players. seriously, whats the point of grinding in a game that hasnt more than 100 players at all times anyway? give beginners like 30-50 boosters or even better every card in the game to play around and test (thats what a beta is for, right?). even EA managed to give the players all cards in the last month of Battleforges existance and since the players of Skylords are only veterans that want to play their old decks anyway, whats the point of locking the cards behind a market if there is no financial benefit?

and the best joke is, even if someone has his ultimate deck back in the beta, he will very likely lose all his progress once the beta goes life again, so he has to grind it a third time. doesnt sound like much fun to me.

honestly i was very exited about this game as soon as i heard from it one year ago and did only just notice yesterday that there is a beta, but as it is now, im very disappointed.

You bumped a 10 months old thread only to express your aggressive opinion.

We're not forcing anyone to play on our servers, if you are unsatisfied you can simply leave. We run the game the way we think it will be the most enjoyable for all players, and I'm sorry if you think otherwise. Don't be so entitled, we owe nothing to no one.

PsYcHo126 likes this

24 minutes ago, fiki574 said:

We're not forcing anyone to play on our servers, if you are unsatisfied you can simply leave. We run the game the way we think it will be the most enjoyable for all players, and I'm sorry if you think otherwise. Don't be so entitled, we owe nothing to no one.

sorry for my rather expressive way of seeing things but i was exited to realise that there is a playable beta and was hugely disappointed and thus frustrated.

but saying "we dont owe anything to no one" is rather easy to say for someone who can change everything, including the amount of BFP on his own account i wager, to his liking at any moment.

i thought this was a beta to find bugs, bugs are most easily found when there are a maximum amount of players using and testing everything they can. especially with a playerbase that limited. and as soon as you reset the beta and have all the players begin from nothing for the third time, you will lose a big part of them, further reducing the player count.

in a way its worse than under EAs reign, at least then we had different options.

Yeah there is definitly too much grinding in my opinion.

I dont have much time to play, only 30-40 min a day, and so far a only have 2000 bfp and a rPvE stonekin deck simply because its relatively cheap and effective.

Id really like to play PvP again with a pure fire deck but thats not possible becasue it would take me YEARS to get a fully upgraded deck.

For a fully upgraded fire PvP deck id need 2 Ultra rare cards(Firedancer,Disenchant) and 7 rare cards(Firesworn,Sunderer,Scythe Fiends,Gladiatrix,Windfire,Giant Slayer,Jugggernaut).

And of course i Need those Cards 4 times each because of charge upgrades.

And since i dont have the time to trade for hours a day, there is no way for me to get those cards in a reasonable amount of time.

In the old days i had all Cards and i used a different deck for rPvE almost every game.

Now every match is basically the same, i have to use my Stonekin deck over and over again,thats really getting boring and frustrating.

I might buy some Cards to make a ShadowNature rPvE deck but then it would take me even longer to get a Fire PvP deck...

And another thing, Fiki you are way too aggressive and mean to People who dont agree with you, remember

we are not your enemies.

We just want Battleforge to be fun and popular, we really appreciate what you and the other devs are doing.

Navarr likes this

i got to relevate something: after just one day, maybe 2h of playing and doing all the quests i got a quite capable deck. not good, but will do for a start.

however, since the game is more likely to lose player than to gain them, i still think its better to just give the people all the access they want. the economy you created in the game is doomed to fail sooner or later, since everyone gets boosters with cards that inflate in price to the point where no one is willed to invest that much time for single cards.

so when someone gets rare cards he cant sell them bc they are too expensive in relation to the work we have to invest in and at the same time the cards get cheaper and ultimately worthless due to the dozens of cards people get a day.

Lol, after a month or two i now got pure frost, pure shadow, lost souls and stonekin PvP decks pretty much fully upgraded plus every PVE card i desired. How does it take years for you to get a pure fire deck? It's not even about putting in endless hours, just get a few boosters a week and it shouldn't take too long to be ready for competitve pvp.

About complete access to everything: Wasn't this phase also about testing/observing progression ? It would defeat the purpose to give out everything then.

Edit: at the moment, the bigest obstacle to getting a fully upgraded PvP deck is actually reaching the rank you need to upgrade rares, URs

Edited by SunWu II.

48 minutes ago, SunWu II. said:

Lol, after a month or two i now got pure frost, pure shadow, lost souls and stonekin PvP decks pretty much fully upgraded plus every PVE card i desired. How does it take years for you to get a pure fire deck? It's not even about putting in endless hours, just get a few boosters a week and it shouldn't take too long to be ready for competitve pvp.

About complete access to everything: Wasn't this phase also about testing/observing progression ? It would defeat the purpose to give out everything then.

Edit: at the moment, the bigest obstacle to getting a fully upgraded PvP deck is actually reaching the rank you need to upgrade rares, URs

Well im not lying, maybe you have more luck with Boosters but most of the time i just get crappy Cards that arent worth much.

Multiple decks are quite easy to aquire, as alot of cards are used across all decks (Hurricane, Roots, Burrower, Kobold Trick, Lavafield, Nightcrawler, Darkelfassassins and so on). So once you finished your first PvP deck getting the second one will be much easier. 

Farming the stuff for my PvP decks was still a painful grind though, but for me it was just unpleasent because we had to spam the same thing over and over again.

Spam RPvE to get gold

Spam Soultree Expert to get gold 

Spam King of Giants Expert to get experience for the upgrades

Repeat

From my perspective a solid achievement/quest system needs to be implemented to give us challenges across the board so every map and part of the game has a solid reward rather than just being forced to spam the same map over and over. There is a thread in the forum to collect ideas, so it would be great to get more of them as it grants a higher pool of potentially good quests and achievements. 

@SunWu II. Once ranked PvP will be back, getting up to rank 10 there should be no problem anymore.

Edited by RadicalX