Skylords Reborn Booster Ratios

MrXLink

Greetings Skylords, Skyladies, and Skyfolks!

XLink here coming with another game design update. Now, it has come to our attention that a lot of you have been wondering what your booster odds are in Skylords Reborn. That is to say, what are your chances of getting different rarities of cards? I will provide you with answers to this debate, as an official ratio has been set up. We've had many questions as to what the exact rates are, and so I'll clear things up a bit, and explain why the ratio has changed.

The original BattleForge used a system where rare cards and ultra-rare cards are difficult to obtain. Boosters would give you 5 commons, 2 uncommons, and a rare or ultra-rare card at 16% (1/6) odds. This seems like a reasonable ratio. However, when I looked into the amount of cards in the game over the rarity given, it's noted that about 40% of all cards are Rare or Ultra Rare. This is a significant portion of all cards, that have a very low chance of being obtained.

Since we will not be exploiting a microtransaction system to siphon your money out through booster rarities, as well as with the spirit of being able to obtain cards quicker, easier and in a more satisfying and enjoyable manner, it's been decided that we increase the chance of getting rare cards in boosters, to let that 40% flow to the players more efficiently than by 16% of a booster at a time. It'll be easier to get that shiny loot! This has been the case since closed beta, and has been tested within closed beta, which has been quite a success. Many of you have asked what the exact ratio was, and we decided to keep it under the radar a bit for testing and changing purposes, but now that we have established a solid ratio, I'm publishing your odds right here. (this has been published before, but not definitively, in a beta thread) This does not mean that these are definitive. They are close to definitive, but in case of design flaws or the odds not turning out as we would have liked them to turn out, these ratios are subject to change; especially the promo ratio.

With these ratio changes I'm officially introducing our way of distributing promo cards; every booster will have a very small chance of granting a promo card. This way, everyone will have access to these elusive, extremely rare cards. We will also possibly use them as rewards for tournaments and official events. Seasonal promos, like Santa Claus and Easter Egg, will not be available in regular boosters.

With that all being said, here are the general odds for the card boosters in Skylords Reborn! The cards go from top left to bottom right.

• Card 1: 0.5% Promo, 19.5% Ultra Rare, 80% Rare
  • Card 2: 15% Rare, 85% Uncommon
  • Card 3: 20% Uncommon, 80% Common
  • Card 4: 100% Uncommon
  • Cards 5, 6, 7 and 8: 100% Common

This means that every single booster will provide you with up to 1 ultra-rare at a time, up to 2 rares at a time, and up to 3 uncommons at a time. If you get an Ultra Rare or a promo, there is still a chance you will get a rare. Getting 2 rares and 2 uncommons will therefore not be a strange sight, as it would have been in the original game. Remember that the promo ratio especially may be subject to change if we deem it too high or too low of a chance.

We hope that these new ratios will provide a quicker, more enjoyable and way more satisfying way of collecting cards, to kickstart the game more efficiently and make grinding and collecting a little more bearable, whilst sticking to the game's original mechanics.

In the nearby future, we will discuss the possibility of different types of boosters (e.g. editions, elements) and potential odds and card pools for them, internally. Stay tuned for more information on that in said nearby future. Booster prices will be discussed in the even more distant future, when the programming team is ready for it.

I hope to have informed you sufficiently on the new booster ratios. Be wary that this booster ratio has been calculated quite thoroughly and is pretty much definitive. Even small changes could throw the booster rarity ratios off balance; we have found these values to hit the sweet spot.

Feel free to let me know what you think and to discuss the topic below, taking the aforementioned statement in mind.
Stay tuned for future design updates, and may the forge be with you!

FlexTerror, Slon, Deadman and 10 others like this

49 minutes ago, MrXLink said:

It'll be easier to get that shiny loot! 

My takeaway message from this: Golden cards in BattleForge confirmed :kappa: 

On a more serious note, the ratios do seem to better fit the objective of the game, however, in the old BattleForge there were many promos that were not so called regular promos, that existed since the beginning but rather promos that have been added through certain events or expansions. Some of these promos are rather bleak and have been added for no other reason than promoting another game ( Lord Cyrian) comes to mind, therefore have not been very well designed or/and do not really serve a purpose in the game. Balance wise in the case of Lord Cyrian it is a very expensive cost per its stat and does not really fulfil any particular role both in PVE and PVP. Therefore, it could be argued that such a card would cause some players so feel that they did not really get a promo due to its very limited usage and useability.

It would be great to clarify whether the team might consider such special cases of promos not being very worth to open and possibly these promos would be reserved to be distributed another way.

Edited by Ultrakool
FlexTerror likes this

14 minutes ago, adrenaline said:

Okay great to have some looks in to the randomess of looting.

And speaking of tournament rewards wouldn’t it be nice to gain a Trophy of each as reward and it can be shown ingame?

That would mean more programming and stuff added to the game. It's an idea, but we might just stick to doing that on the forums instead if we do it and if it's impossible or too much work for our dev team.

FlexTerror likes this

i assume this is the right way for beta aswell.
as soon as the game is polished and ready for the reset, it makes sense to decrease the chances, so that ultra-rare and promo cards will have a high value for players. In addition i think it makes sense to have the different edition-booster´s as an option to get with your BFP, this way youd have a better chance to obtain the cards you really need for your decks - maybe in beta aswell

3 hours ago, Ultrakool said:

My takeaway message from this: Golden cards in BattleForge confirmed :kappa: 

On a more serious note, the ratios do seem to better fit the objective of the game, however, in the old BattleForge there were many promos that were not so called regular promos, that existed since the beginning but rather promos that have been added through certain events or expansions. Some of these promos are rather bleak and have been added for no other reason than promoting another game ( Lord Cyrian) comes to mind, therefore have not been very well designed or/and do not really serve a purpose in the game. Balance wise in the case of Lord Cyrian it is a very expensive cost per its stat and does not really fulfil any particular role both in PVE and PVP. Therefore, it could be argued that such a card would cause some players so feel that they did not really get a promo due to its very limited usage and useability.

It would be great to clarify whether the team might consider such special cases of promos not being very worth to open and possibly these promos would be reserved to be distributed another way.

My vote for Lord Cyrian is to take him out of boosters and provide him as a starter card. That way everyone gets one (all you need) and players get a strong t3 XL if they really really want one in their deck.

2 hours ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

Does someone know the old ratios, just for comparison? I know they are posted somewhere in the deep darknes of this forum, but I admit that I am to lazy to search... :P

Good job btw!

old ratios was p2w ratios...

6 hours ago, Ultrakool said:

If anything I would personally prefer to balance Lord Cyrian out a bit more rather than to exclude him from the promo drops. However, Lord Cyrian is a special case as the only way of obtaining him would be through the promo system, therefore he either needs to drop regularly (which makes little sense), be given out by default, or remain some kind of a niche card in general that is not utterly essential or strong for use in PvP. Lord Cyrian is the only non-seasonal card that solely exists as a promo. Since it's got its own model and looks impressive on its own, I'd rather balance it so that it becomes at least a bit more useful than it currently would. If this is not a possibility, I may decide to turn it into a seasonal promo instead. That's what I had in mind at least.

4 hours ago, wojt5 said:

Will there be any promos that wont be obtained in boosters ? Like playing in open beta, specia tournaments etc ?

Anyway i think 0.5% is still to high for a promo. In other games, special items usually has 0.1%

Santa Claus and Easter Egg won't be in boosters. The rest will be, as we want promo cards to become more accessible to everyone without requiring to win a tournament. We may still give out promo cards for such purposes though, and they would be obtained faster.

The 0.5% is pretty experimental, but up to now has resulted in a decent ratio among testers. We aim to accelerate the process of obtaining rare items, more so than conventional games. Some items in games such as Unusuals in TF2 (1%), Legendaries in vanilla Overwatch (5%), or Ancient Legendaries in Diablo 3 (~2%) drop at higher rates, often with more frequent ways of obtaining them. 0.5% seems reasonable so far, especially considering the community size as of right now. But hey, if promos drop way too much, we may alter this for enjoyability's sake.

3 hours ago, Ezapan said:

i assume this is the right way for beta aswell.
as soon as the game is polished and ready for the reset, it makes sense to decrease the chances, so that ultra-rare and promo cards will have a high value for players. In addition i think it makes sense to have the different edition-booster´s as an option to get with your BFP, this way youd have a better chance to obtain the cards you really need for your decks - maybe in beta aswell

Actually, UR cards and promo cards already were at relatively low chances in the original BattleForge by means of generating income. We increase the drop rates to compensate for this, give players a quicker start-up and a more enjoyable and safer grinding curve.

2 hours ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

Does someone know the old ratios, just for comparison? I know they are posted somewhere in the deep darknes of this forum, but I admit that I am to lazy to search... :P

Good job btw!

As I said in my post, all boosters used to contain 1 UR or R, 2 UC, and 5 C. Getting an UR had a 16% (1/6) ratio.

6 hours ago, BFlove123 said:

make it 1/6 chance and 0,4 and wer good

24 minutes ago, BFlove123 said:

old ratios was p2w ratios...

You sort of contradict yourself here. You want a 1/6 chance, which I assume you mean UR rates, which is a lower drop rate than I proposed, and pretty much exactly the same as the old "p2w" ratio. As for 0.4, which I infer as the promo ratio, see the above response to wojt5's comment.

8 minutes ago, WindHunter said:

I'm glad you were willing to change the ratio. Since I don't know the drop rate of the boosters themselves I'm going to assume you know what your doing.

I posted them over here. While I appreciate you consider I know what I'm doing, feel free to be a judge to that :)

FlexTerror and SilenceKiller99 like this

6 minutes ago, MrXLink said:

I posted them over here. While I appreciate you consider I know what I'm doing, feel free to be a judge to that :)

I meant how quickly we gain the boosters themselves, not the ratio of the cards within the boosters. That isn't something I've seen you mention yet though I'm assuming based on previous posts on daily quests it will have a cyclical effect where its not just about grinding in large sessions and you are encouraged to come back everyday.

EDIT: Additionally, I agree that Lord Cyrian should be given a balance pass instead of being left as is. A few small tweaks to make him a bland but usable T3 XL unit.

Edited by WindHunter

Just now, WindHunter said:

I meant how quickly we gain the boosters themselves, not the ratio of the cards within the boosters. That isn't something I've seen you mention yet though I'm assuming based on previous posts on daily quests it will have a cyclical effect where its not just about grinding in large sessions and you are encouraged to come back everyday.

Yes, this is definitely true. It'll not just be about mass grinding, but also about daily rewards. The exact ratio of that or booster prices are still TBA :)

So there are 68 Ultra rare cards in the game excluding the promos Firedancer, Harvester and Lord Cyrian. Therefore we have to open 348,71 boosters on average to have all 68 Ultra rare cards. If we want all the charges too we have to open 1394,87 boosters on average. So even if we could get 3 boosters a day that would take us 464 days to get a complete collection excluding promos and completly ignoring the auction house.

Happy grinding everyone. :-)

I personally looking forward to it.

Edited by Frosthor

1 hour ago, Frosthor said:

So there are 68 Ultra rare cards in the game excluding the promos Firedancer, Harvester and Lord Cyrian. Therefore we have to open 348,71 boosters on average to have all 68 Ultra rare cards. If we want all the charges too we have to open 1394,87 boosters on average. So even if we could get 3 boosters a day that would take us 464 days to get a complete collection excluding promos and completly ignoring the auction house.

Not 100% correct, since we will get dupes we can sell on the AH for even more BFPs :D

I personally had a lot of fun trying to collect all the cards and trading them in the market place but i get why people want it to be easier to get all the cards necessary for pvp.

Just hope that these changes wont affect the value of cards in a way that would destroy the market economy but they dont seem to drastic so time will tell :)

Sounds good for open beta, personally I'd like to have lower Rare and UR % in the long run. Still it depends on how hard it is to get a booster.

As a PVE player I enjoyed playing expert with limited decks, so you have to fight with what you got and not just pick the best cards for the fastest/easiest game.

4 hours ago, Frosthor said:

There is a reason they are called ultra rare after all :)

OffTopic: Memories of sparrow's community challenges coming up. Would love to see something like this again.

1 hour ago, Slon said:

OffTopic: Memories of sparrow's community challenges coming up. Would love to see something like this again.

If I and/or others are willing to help host and set it up, I would definitely do something along the lines of that.

Slon likes this

• 4 weeks later...
On 23.1.2018 at 5:08 PM, MrXLink said:

Greetings Skylords, Skyladies, and Skythings!

XLink here coming with another game design update. Now, it has come to our attention that a lot of you have been wondering what your booster odds are in Skylords Reborn. That is to say, what are your chances of getting different rarities of cards? I will provide you with answers to this debate, as an official ratio has been set up. We've had many questions as to what the exact rates are, and so I'll clear things up a bit, and explain why the ratio has changed.

The original BattleForge used a system where rare cards and ultra-rare cards are difficult to obtain. Boosters would give you 5 commons, 2 uncommons, and a rare or ultra-rare card at 16% (1/6) odds. This seems like a reasonable ratio. However, when I looked into the amount of cards in the game over the rarity given, it's noted that about 40% of all cards are Rare or Ultra Rare. This is a significant portion of all cards, that have a very low chance of being obtained.

Since we will not be exploiting a microtransaction system to siphon your money out through booster rarities, as well as with the spirit of being able to obtain cards quicker, easier and in a more satisfying and enjoyable manner, it's been decided that we increase the chance of getting rare cards in boosters, to let that 40% flow to the players more efficiently than by 16% of a booster at a time. It'll be easier to get that shiny loot! This has been the case since closed beta, and has been tested within closed beta, which has been quite a success. Many of you have asked what the exact ratio was, and we decided to keep it under the radar a bit for testing and changing purposes, but now that we have established a solid ratio, I'm publishing your odds right here. (this has been published before, but not definitively, in a beta thread) This does not mean that these are definitive. They are close to definitive, but in case of design flaws or the odds not turning out as we would have liked them to turn out, these ratios are subject to change; especially the promo ratio.

With these ratio changes I'm officially introducing our way of distributing promo cards; every booster will have a very small chance of granting a promo card. This way, everyone will have access to these elusive, extremely rare cards. We will also possibly use them as rewards for tournaments and official events. Seasonal promos, like Santa Claus and Easter Egg, will not be available in regular boosters.

With that all being said, here are the general odds for the card boosters in Skylords Reborn!
Boosters consist of 8 cards:

• 1 card has a 0.5% (1/200) chance to be a Promo Card, a 19.5% (~1/5) chance of an Ultra Rare, and otherwise a Rare.
  • 1 is a 20% (1/5) chance to be a Rare, otherwise a guaranteed Uncommon
  • 1 is always a guaranteed Uncommon card
  • 1 is a 25% (1/4) chance to be an Uncommon, otherwise a Common
  • 4 are Common cards

This means that every single booster will provide you with up to 1 ultra-rare at a time, up to 2 rares at a time, and up to 3 uncommons at a time. If you get an Ultra Rare or a promo, there is still a chance you will get a rare. Getting 2 rares and 2 uncommons will therefore not be a strange sight, as it would have been in the original game. Remember that the promo ratio especially may be subject to change if we deem it too high or too low of a chance.

We hope that these new ratios will provide a quicker, more enjoyable and way more satisfying way of collecting cards, to kickstart the game more efficiently and make grinding and collecting a little more bearable, whilst sticking to the game's original mechanics.

In the nearby future, we will discuss the possibility of different types of boosters (e.g. editions, elements) and potential odds and card pools for them, internally. Stay tuned for more information on that in said nearby future. Booster prices will be discussed in the even more distant future, when the programming team is ready for it.

I hope to have informed you sufficiently on the new booster ratios. Be wary that this booster ratio has been calculated quite thoroughly and is pretty much definitive. Even small changes could throw the booster rarity ratios off balance; we have found these values to hit the sweet spot.

Feel free to let me know what you think and to discuss the topic below, taking the aforementioned statement in mind.
Stay tuned for future design updates, and may the forge be with you!

Hello, 

first of all i want to thank you and the other guys for bringing battleforge back to life.

This ratio sounds nice in the first moment you read it, but it creates deeper and deeper conserns as longer i start thinking about this.
You might repreat a mistake that killed battleforge in the first place.

If you play PvP you accept to lose by lower skill rather than loosing by a not upgraded deck.
My point is it might take ages to get a full upgraded pvp deck.

Each pure deck needs a couple rar and ultra rar cards...

If it takes for e.g. 6 month of farming PVE to get a playable pvp deck you lose a lot of players. 

Try to lower the entry for pvp interested player.

Greets 

Hans275

Edited by Hans275
Fimion likes this