Wish to contribute to the project by donating? Heads up to our Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

BEWARE: Multiaccounting May Cause Permabans! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
EarthRed

Skylords Tournament Society

Hello guys! Long time lurker here. I'm the kind of guy that really wants to keep game communities active and on their feet. I've been an active tournament organizer in my city (a big city in Finland), and have hosted and covered expenses for big tournaments of several different games, as well as held monthly tournaments for many others. This includes titles like Age of Empires 2, Hearthstone, Netrunner, Warmachines/Hordes et cetera.

Now that BattleForge is coming back, I immediately wanted to do the same. In my experience tournaments with actual rewards are something that keep a community active and healthy, with both new players coming in and old ones staying longer. Motivation and competition are always a good thing for game communities, and many old, underground RTS games gain big player spikes whenever there is a tournament with actual rewards. What I did was contact some old BattleForge buddies of mine, and what we thought of is founding a group of volunteers that would hold and fund both smaller monthly tournaments and bigger tournaments. It's something we've done before, something we love doing and something we can do for the community as a whole, as volunteers.

So, who's with me? Should we make a separate discord channel or something to discuss and take care of organizing? Two or three people can already easily manage the infrastructure of tournament organizing, and the more people we have volunteering or just pledging some rewards to tournament pools, the more we can ensure we'll have exciting tournaments, good rewards and a motivational goalpost for everyone in the community. I intend to gift steam games to top contenders direclty after tournaments, and you are free to give what you please, as you please and how you please. Another way of volunteering would be casting and/or streaming tournament matches.

EDIT: Mainly talking about online tournaments here. If we would be able to pull off IRL tournaments that would be cool, but I think it's a bit early to be thinking about that.

Cheers

Edited by Earth Red
Eirias and Nistro like this

Sounds like a nice Idea.

But if actuall money is involved could you please speak with the team of the project first to check if that could lead to any interference with Ea? (They have an agreement about what is allowed and what is not)

1 hour ago, Tam Hawkins said:

Sounds like a nice Idea.

But if actuall money is involved could you please speak with the team of the project first to check if that could lead to any interference with Ea? (They have an agreement about what is allowed and what is not)

To my knowledge it shouldn't be a problem. The devs are not affiliated, and we are just individuals giving each other stuff (which is legal) based on competition results, not on leasing, selling or giving EAs IP. Especially since players have the permission to stream the game, which can lead to them getting money by playing the game. (Which, if EA would put up a fight, would be the case they made against tournaments)

However, I'm basing this only on my knowledge of the law. If I'm wrong then someone can correct me.

It would be cool if the devs could participate by giving promos as rewards or something, but I'm not going to go into that since it's out of my control. I guess the devs will give out their opinion if they want to.

7 hours ago, Earth Red said:

Hello guys! Long time lurker here. I'm the kind of guy that really wants to keep game communities active and on their feet. I've been an active tournament organizer in my city (a big city in Finland), and have hosted and covered expenses for big tournaments of several different games, as well as held monthly tournaments for many others. This includes titles like Age of Empires 2, Hearthstone, Netrunner, Warmachines/Hordes et cetera.

Now that BattleForge is coming back, I immediately wanted to do the same. In my experience tournaments with actual rewards are something that keeps a community active and healthy, with both new players coming in and old ones staying longer. Motivation and competition are always a good thing for game communities, and many old, underground RTS games gain big player spikes whenever there is a tournament with actual rewards. What I did was contact some old BattleForge buddies of mine, and what we thought of is founding a group of volunteers that would hold and fund both smaller monthly tournaments and bigger tournaments. It's something we've done before, something we love doing and something we can do for the community as a whole, as volunteers.

So, who's with me? Should we make a separate discord channel or something to discuss and take care of organizing? Two or three people can already easily manage the infrastructure of tournament organizing, and the more people we have volunteering or just pledging some rewards to tournament pools will ensure we'll have exciting tournaments, good rewards and a motivational goalpost for everyone in the community. I intend to gift steam games to top contenders direclty after tournaments, and you are free to give what you please, as you please, how you please.

Cheers

You mean like IRL tournaments? I would definitely love that--especially as a way to advertise to new players. I don't think we should separate from the dev's on this one though: we should just have like a subtopic in the regular discord. Perhaps we could have a separate fundraiser or donation pool for hosting tournaments and prize money (because to attract new players, we shouldn't charge an entry fee). 

I think the large problem with your idea is that BF is small, and we're unlikely to have more than, say, 5 competitive players in a given city than can spend an afternoon to come to a tournament. First, we need to get an active base of players localized in a city.

Here's a suggestion of how to use tournaments to advertise to new players in such a scenario:

0. Work with dev', because we'd need their help to pull this off.

1. Host a tournament for new players only (or at least a section for new players only). Advertise it NOT necessarily as Battleforge, but as a challenge to play a "Mystery Game" (potentially for prize money?). Anyway, the point is to advertise to players that they'll all be playing a new game, and they'll have to adapt to strategy with other players who have also never played before. I could see this attracting a lot of frequent gamers who want to show that they're good at all games.

2. Give each tournament player access to a "God Account" which has every card U3. They can experiment with this and with other players for a bit before the tournament starts. (Note, dependent on getting devs on board).

3. The players play a normal PvP tournament, although of course it will be chaotic and extremely non-meta as people try to figure out the strategies

4. The winners get an account that starts with a lot of BFP (since they're all new players, when they get an account creation, they get the BFP). This is a reward that costs no money, so can be used as often as we/devs want. There could be participation awards, too. The point is that these players feel accomplished because they just won something, and now they get in-game rewards to incentivize them to keep playing.

5. After 3 or 4 of these tournaments (or sections of the tournament) we'll probably have about 20 competitive tournament players willing to play in a tournament in the city. That's not a ton, but they'll invite their friends (esp since several of them will probably know each other, they're more likely to invite mutual friends) and if tournaments are hosted on college or high school campuses, school clubs might start. If we add 20 competitive players in 100 major cities, that's 2000 competitive PvP players (or PvE, if we have some kind of speedrun tournament) added to the pool. That's an amazing start, with a low cost of perhaps some coding for ingame rewards, and someone to run each tournament. Seems like a fantastic way to keep the spirit of the game, while also advertising and bringing in new players.

After doing something like this, we could really get strong bases for IRL tournaments. However, until something like this happens, I just feel like you wouldn't get the participation. It would be better to have online tournaments (perhaps with an entry fee and prize money, but I'd rather have no entry fee and in-game rewards). Thoughts?

I was mainly thinking about online tournaments, especially in case of monthly tournaments. Online tournaments are easy to organize, easy to join and let us capitalize on the global nature of our community. We would need at least 20 high end players willing to pay for plane tickets to actually be able to host big IRL events. Maybe if the devs want to spend part of their patreon funds. :D

I'm not sure your idea would work, but if the devs would want to do something like that then why not.

Edited by Earth Red

Professional tournament problems in bafo:

- No tournaments without a game

- No tournaments without a constant strong pvp community

- No tournament without same chances to win(Everyone max. cards & deck level)

- No tournaments without prices

- No tournament without an esport feeling (Streamer, ranking & co)

The most important would be the deck level thing but overall its to early to think about something like this.

Im able to bring Battleforge back to the ESL but its not possible with just 2-5 players and no esport settings ingame.

The open beta is starting in less than two weeks, so that's not a problem. I really don't see how it's too early to be thinking about something like this as we have 13 days until we can play the game.

On 16.1.2018 at 6:08 PM, xHighTech said:

Professional tournament problems in bafo:

The most important would be the deck level thing but overall its to early to think about something like this.

I really don't see why this would or should be a requirement. Big tournaments are constantly held for comparable games, where players participate with their own accounts. Faeria, Hearthstone and pretty much every other game are run like this, excluding biggest million dollar tournaments at best. If the devs want to do something like this then why not, but I really don't see why it should be a required standard.

Edited by Earth Red

@Earth Red 

So you can upgrade cards in Heartstone? You can upgrade your champ in LoL? You can upgrade your weapon in Counter Strike, CoD? (Esport)

Oh wait, you need to upgrade cards in Battleforge... 

There must be a 1:1 basis for fairplay. Another way would be an unbalanced tournament where is no reason to join if the basic conditions are not given.

Best regards

As a side note, do know that we as the SR team do not acknowledge, support or condone the usage of any real-life currency transactions in any way. Laying in or pledging in-game items is fine and at your own risk, but we do not support any real-life transactions involving Skylords Reborn whatsoever.

1 minute ago, xHighTech said:

@Earth Red 

So you can upgrade cards in Heartstone? You can upgrade your champ in LoL? You can upgrade your weapon in Counter Strike, CoD? (Esport)

Oh wait, you need to upgrade cards in Battleforge... 

There must be a 1:1 basis for fairplay. Another way would be an unbalanced tournament where is no reason to join if the basic conditions are not given.

Best regards

You have to collect cards in Hearthstone, Faeria et cetera. Depending on how long it takes to get a competitive deck together in Skylords, the only difference would be that we can't straight up buy our way into competitive decks anymore. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm saying that (as many games have proven) we can have enjoyable and competitive tournaments even without tournament accounts. Sure, if the devs want to pull off something like that, it would be great.

2 minutes ago, MrXLink said:

As a side note, do know that we as the SR team do not acknowledge, support or condone the usage of any real-life currency transactions in any way. Laying in or pledging in-game items is fine and at your own risk, but we do not support any real-life transactions involving Skylords Reborn whatsoever.

Thought so, that's why I was talking about a group of unaffiliated volunteers all along. Or do you mean that someone straight up can't hold an unaffiliated tournament with prizes such as steam games?

2 minutes ago, Earth Red said:

Thought so, that's why I was talking about a group of unaffiliated volunteers all along. Or do you mean that someone straight up can't hold an unaffiliated tournament with prizes such as steam games?

Well we do not possess the capability to stop you.
Aside of that, we do not support or condone such an action, and are not held responsible for any results or processes tied to it.

7 minutes ago, Earth Red said:

You have to collect cards in Hearthstone, Faeria et cetera. Depending on how long it takes to get a competitive deck together in Skylords, the only difference would be that we can't straight up buy our way into competitive decks anymore. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm saying that (as many games have proven) we can have enjoyable and competitive tournaments even without tournament accounts. Sure, if the devs want to pull off something like that, it would be great

There shouldnt be a requierement but a basis to play on the same deck level. Should be possible to create tourney decks only with deck level 0 or 120 so its not possible to play with a level 10 deck against a level 90 deck. Cards are 1 thing and upgrades another one

18 minutes ago, MrXLink said:

Well we do not possess the capability to stop you.
Aside of that, we do not support or condone such an action, and are not held responsible for any results or processes tied to it.

Okay, thanks for the info. I already assumed that was the case, but it's good that we got an official statement for that. Also clears up the possibility of EA getting upset about this.

13 minutes ago, xHighTech said:

There shouldnt be a requierement but a basis to play on the same deck level. Should be possible to create tourney decks only with deck level 0 or 120 so its not possible to play with a level 10 deck against a level 90 deck. Cards are 1 thing and upgrades another one

Why are cards one thing and upgrades another? Having a competitive deck build is just as (if not more) important than having upgrades.

If we have a rule set (or basis as you said) that dictates deck level then we are either unnecessarily excluding people of forcing people to downgrade their cards which means that they will lose resources they spent upgrading it.

Edited by Earth Red

14 minutes ago, Earth Red said:

Why are cards one thing and upgrades another? Having a competitive deck build is just as (if not more) important than having upgrades.

If we put a requirement on deck level then we are either unnecessarily excluding people of forcing people to downgrade their cards which means that they will lose resources they spent upgrading it.

i give up...

Edited by xHighTech

4 minutes ago, xHighTech said:

Upgrades are much more important in PvP then Cards.

Then what are you suggesting?

Besides, the point is mute. As just confirmed, we have no way of getting tournament accounts. Still, there are dozens of people ready to compete with their account.

We can have a philosophical debate about how fair it is but in any case we have no way of dealing with the situation other than just let people play. I agree with you that in essence having both decks be the same level is more fair, but I really don't see any other concrete solution.

Edited by Earth Red

2 hours ago, MrXLink said:

While you're here...

Any ideas if the dev team would be able to do something like @xHighTech wants? I.e. give (reputable) tournament organizers a code to use in the marketplace, and participants could use it to unlock all cards lvl 120 (like in the ending days of old BF) that would expire or only be usable in a certain game mode?

Actually, you know what...let me start a new topic specifically about this sort of thing...

xHighTech likes this

in order to play competitive u gonna need some experience in the game and since there is no comparable game to bafo unlike fortnite where u could transition without much time investment just by having experience in other games of the same genre in battleforge u are forced to play the game in order to play competitive

so just by getting used to the game u gonna get the upgrades needed in order to play in tournaments 

thats jsut my opinion i dont think there should be a tournament build included neither do i think its necessary.