Wish to contribute to the project by donating? Heads up to our Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

BEWARE: Multiaccounting May Cause Permabans! Read more... ×
nielsjuh33

Sandbox for Reinforcement learning

Hey, I really love battleforge but since I am now a lot older than last time I played I have also learned a lot of cool stuff about machine learning. I'd like to try that out but I'd rather not do it in a way such that it could be confused with cheating. Could it maybe be possible to create sandbox accounts in the future? The kind on which we cannot play with other but still get to progress in our own way, only using starcraft is a bit eh. The models could be shared with the devs. 

Edited by nielsjuh33

Not sure how that would work as a special kind of account, but perhaps if you settled with the devs in advance this could be done. On a larger scale, I think it's a bit too specific to be public and for everyone. Maybe it's a good idea to setup before Open Beta starts where these rules could be a bit lighter since the Anti cheat would be among other things still in a testing phase. Could be a fun idea, though quite complex to implement I imagine.

I think the #1 priority is to get in there and have fun. I'm sure anti cheating will be implemented in the form of pretty simple code such that it could easily be adjusted if I asked and they wanted to. :) I'm just putting this out there such that I could refer to it later.

I presume you mean accounts where all cards are available for use? If so then I don't think it would be worth the time to make such accounts as it would probably be quite hard to control those accounts. If such accounts existed then you could probably just transfer all desired cards to your proper account so I don't think they could exist(too problematic).

10 hours ago, Nick said:

I presume you mean accounts where all cards are available for use? If so then I don't think it would be worth the time to make such accounts as it would probably be quite hard to control those accounts. If such accounts existed then you could probably just transfer all desired cards to your proper account so I don't think they could exist(too problematic).

The devs, or atleast the old devs of the 'real' battleforge, where able to make cards 'untradable and unsellable'. Think of the starter deck, or the tome decks. You had those cards, you could freely use them or make decks with them, but you couldnt sell or trade them.

I guess that could work but weren't the cards untradable for everyone? For example was it possible to have lord Cyrian tradable on one account but not in another?

14 minutes ago, Nick said:

I guess that could work but weren't the cards untradable for everyone? For example was it possible to have lord Cyrian tradable on one account but not in another?

Those cards were untradable for everyone. However i don't think that would be a limiting factor as shown by Tutorial deck cards or Tome cards - which were basically duplicates of cards with a few restrictiongs. So you already have the blueprint on how that works.

I mean basically for a sandbox account you basically want to have all options with all cards except that you want them to be account bound and you probably want endless amounts of gold to test stuff with upgrades. As that is basically a attribute mix of normal and Tome cards i doubt that it is impossible to create that. How time consuming - no clue.

The only issue i have with this is that you'd probably need a different server or space for those accounts as those accounts participating in normal ranked PVP games or speedruns is a major shortcut and advantage for the users  over other players.

Some other thoughts:

I'd assume those accounts would be incredibly usefull for testing patches or for offiicial tournaments to even out the playing field - relevant especially early on when noone or only a few people have maxed out decks. Even later on probably usefull so newer players can have maxed out decks and make it a competition of pure skill - or as close as it gets.

nielsjuh33 likes this