A Suggestion on how to deal with card surplus

Aravnir

Greetings,

Basically the idea is stolen from Heartstone, where you can simply "disenchant" your unneeded/unwanted/surplus cards. so why not put this into skylords reborn? i do realize, that it would increase inflation, but I remember countless common cards being sold for 2bfp or something, which no one needed because everyone had them. with disenchanting/smelting (i think smelting would be fitting because battleforge), we could set a minimum value and no one would be stuck with tons of useless cards. I'm thinking about 1%(common), 2,5%(uncommon), 5%(Rare) and 10%(Legendary) of the amount needed for a new booster. It wouldn't be much, but that's the point, it's only purpose is to set a minimum value for every card. An example in case you did not understand what I was trying to say. Let's say a booster costs 200 BFP, you open it and you get 3 common cards which you don't want - so you chose to disenchant them and you get 3 (Amount of cards) x 1,01 (Value of the rarity) x 200 (cost of a booster)  = 6 bfp. not much, but it's something and the flooding of the marketplace would be somehwat decreased.

If this or something similiar has been suggested somewhere else, I am sorry, I used the search function and checked the titles in the suggestions area, but i am only human and can therefore make mistakes.

also, whoever finds grammar and/or spelling mistakes gets to keep them :P

Sounds good to me, but I am sure there are some flaws with it, as this has been discussed already. I also couldn't find the topic, but I remember something about forging multiple cards of the same rarity level to one random card of the next rarity (for example forge 5 commons into 1 random uncommon).

I seem to remember that people were against the whole 'getting rid of commons' situation, so that idea didn't come through. Therefor I think this idea won't come true, either, eventhough it sounds pretty good.

Havent there been an option to disenchant upgrades into the rPvE currency so you could buy other upgrades? So there have already been a solution but for upgrades so why not one for cards too? Even if it's just gold better than nothing.

• 2 months later...

This has been suggested before I think, we came to the conclusion that 

1) This will discourage trading in BattleForge and 

2) All commons and uncommon can have a huge price gap and this system will make a huge mess out the economy

The difference between Hearthstone and BattleForge is that a market and trade exists in BattleForge whereas in Hearthstone inventory is a 1 Player game. 

Implementing such a system will be insanely difficult to balance and also hurt the community as a whole.

• 1 month later...

A trade up sort of system where you take 5 or more cards of the same rarity to make a new one of better rarity works only if your currency is very difficult to inflate, or based on IRL currency such as CS:GO. However getting rid of old cards to gain boosts for said card could work instead of gold without hurting much economy. But it won't get rid of a lot of duplicates.

• 1 year later...

I know i am very late to the party but i jzst recently started out and was asking myself how i get rid of the duplicates. After i read everything in here i wonder if some people actually think of the entire game.

"this won´t work because we have a trading system" So what you are saying is that duplicates of the basic cards we get in the beginning should be here forever, even though nobody would ever take and trade them, because this would cause problems in the market? i can´t follow the logic here... i want to get rid of my duplicate cards which on the market wouldn´t even get me 5 BFP. If a card is so common to get and everyone has 3000 copies of it, and even after getting rid of it with a "disenchanting" or "selling for a fixed gold price to an npc vendor" people still get those cards on a regular basis and nobody wants those cards... would that still cause problems?

I still think that this is an excelent idea, even if BF is a TCG not a CCG. If a card is highly desireable and rare, obviously people will go and try to sell it on the market, makes sense, and if nobody wants certain cards, obviously everyone will have a stock of them, why not give an option to atleast get rid of them for some bonus gold? You can´t buy booster packs with gold, only basic upgrades.

So again, what problems would that entire thing cause in the specific situation of BF?

9 hours ago, Kubik said:

can you tell me single card no one buy?

can you tell me one card someone have 3000 copies of?

can you tell me one card everyone have, other than starting cards?

no one buys basic cards, yet we keep getting them though the booster packs, i litterly mentioned them as the prime example for it. 

well 3000 is obviouly an overexaggeration but hey...

Someone who has Thugs like 3 times and the average price to buy them is 5...

Frostbite, northguard, to some extend stone shards, bandit sorceress... all these cards i see constanly in my packs and buddies packs, and they get sold on mass in the market for 5-10 BFP, nobody wants them, everyone has them in spades, and if not, only by opening around 10-20 booster in total you will allmost garantueed have half of them.

I am not for selling every card for a fixed amount of BFP or for other booster packs, but i specificly mentioned that it would be a good idea to transform them into Gold. A currency which doesn´t buy you packs or cards from the market. Unless you will implement it that you will be able to buy boosters with gold, but so far i am not seeing it, therefore i think it is a good idea.

But even IF we say ONLY Starter cards can be sold back for gold, like i specificly stated in my post EVERYONE has them since they are starters. And getting duplicates is somewhat of a punch in the gut since you can´t use them in any way. Letting people Sell Basic Duplicates would litterly hurt no one, it would only improve. 

I still see no problem how this is a valuable idea to bring to the game.

Especially nothguards are sold a lot compared to other cards.

:thinking: have you ever check the marker how many people want the starter cards to have more charges?

So all these people trying to buy these cards should have it harder to buy these cards, just because you want more gold?

5 hours ago, JericoHellsangel said:

getting duplicates is somewhat of a punch in the gut since you can´t use them in any way. Letting people Sell Basic Duplicates would litterly hurt no one, it would only improve. 

Ah, you've forgotten about charges. I remember when windweavers and surge of light cost several hundred bfp.

In regards to disenchanting commons, the main issue with that is that it becomes difficult to get all cards. I am probably among the richest players in the game because I've been active for so long, but I don't have all commons. I realized not to long ago that for some reason, I had no defenders. Trying to buy them was difficult because no one wanted to put them on the AH. Imagine how hard it would be to find that one common card you've missed when no one even carries extras.

Disenchanting only works when it's also possible to craft. I'm not sure it makes sense to make sure every card has a min and max price, but I'm also not sure it would be terrible.

More importantly, I think that common cards being really cheap is great to encourage new players. It's easy to give cards to strangers when it doesn't cost you anything but it still means a lot to them.

Kubik likes this

The only thing I could see working is if all commons are always being sold in the AH by the server for a set (relative high) price, for example 50bfp. And disenchanting a card would give back 5bfp for example. This way you could always sell 10 surplus commons to get one that you need (or save up for a more expensive other card). 

But this would almost remove the trading aspect for the commons in the game. Of course it would still be viable to sell popular commons for 49bfp or less (because higher makes no sense), but it would be a regulated market. 

So I only see the need for a feature like this when the problem Eirias described becomes too big when the active player/trader population becomes too low to get (decent) offers in the AH for all cards at most times. 

9 hours ago, Eirias said:

Ah, you've forgotten about charges. I remember when windweavers and surge of light cost several hundred bfp. 

I did not forget about having more charges when you use duplicates.

The thing is also that before Skylords reborn you could just buy packs for money, which all whales did therefore there were alot of cards in the eco system going around. Right now, there are only a limited amout if ways to get BFP. Either Quests (of which there are 2 as far as i have noticed) which give you around 100-150 BFP and 1 booster per day. Also the "achivement" that keeps getting higher and higher but gives the same reward. Which means BFP is way more valuable then before. I want to save as much money as possible to get as many booster packs to have as high of a chance to get the cards that i want. Or even being redicilously lucky and getting a card i can sell for alot of BFP in the market. Every BFP is worth alot and therefore is not an incentive for me to buy them.

When i played back when EA still were running the servers, yes, i did buy copies, i did make decks and traded because i knew they were cheap, alot of whales had massive amounts of them and would sell them on a regular basis for basicly 2 bfp instand buy. If i recall correctly there were also more then 1 type of booster packs, i might be 100% wrong however, as much as i remember 0% of how much they cost and what they actually had in them.

Also, the player base was WAY larger so that alot of new players existed, which isn´t the case right now. The smaller the community the more dedicated they are and the more time they have invested into the game compared to a bigger group. More people, bigger market, more stable prices.

I also read that the devs are working on a new system to get more BFP which let some stones of my heart since i had this worry that now that you can´t buy booster, will the daily system stay, will a new system come etc. Dailies, weeklies, more achievement, milestones etc etc. When we get the new system and we can get more reliable ways of getting packs and BFP to get more packs, i will hold on to my cards, give them to friends or would still like to sell them for gold.

9 hours ago, Eirias said:

Disenchanting only works when it's also possible to craft. I'm not sure it makes sense to make sure every card has a min and max price, but I'm also not sure it would be terrible.

A crafting system would also maybe be a nice idea. It would imo also fit for this game compared to something like hearthstone. Having not only requirements when it comes to the recources but maybe certain conditions like playing a certain amount of Lost Souls cards to then be able to craft the Lost souls card you want.

But then again, the more i write the more answers come with "but then the market would be destroyed and it would not be a TCG" Well atleast Eirias would have his Defenders if we had such systems XD

Oh btw, i have some questions regarding other topics when it comes to development (the annoying guy being more annoying i know) any specific threads i should go to regarding the game after the 12 man maps are open and the quest/achivement systems are implemented?