Wish to contribute to the project by donating? Heads up to our Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

BEWARE: Multiaccounting May Cause Permabans! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Falkum

Distribution of Game Data

Hi guys, I was wondering if its already pointed out, how the distribution of the game data is going to work. I for myself still got the Battleforge-folder with all its files on my computer, but I think just a few people do.

As far as I know EA still holds the rights on the game itself. So distributing game data would be a copyright infringement? Or did EA allow you to distribute game data?

Dont get me wrong. I'm talking of the game itself - not updates or self-written serverfiles.

EA hit the community project of Battlefield Revive a few days ago, because they were distributing the game itself:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/27/old-battlefied-games-killed-after-ea-legal-warning/

9 hours ago, Blank said:

Not an official announcement, but I think we wont distribute the client for the reasons above.

How else are people gonna start the game?

I dont aks for official statements or anything. I am just wondering if it is even possible to run the game without the launcher? 

I do own a hardcopy of Battle Forge but its super outdated so that is a tricky question how to get the updates.

Edited by Kiliangg

From the FAQ:
Can I use the old BattleForge client?
No. A new client will be available once we reach a stage where we will be able to accept players into the servers.

So they made a new client, if that is for the reason you fear of or something entirely else is something I don't know.

44 minutes ago, Falkum said:

@Tam Hawkins 

the launcher is new, but I dont think that all game data gets reworked...

I guess, spreading the game-data will be through "unofficial" channels like one-click-hoster etc?!

oh that's what you mean.

As far as I know EA greenlighted the project under the premisse that the EA logo would not appear and the name Battleforge would be cut out of the homepage (that is why the project is now called skylords instead of BattleforgeReborn).