Help Project 0814 by doing this Gaming Survey!

kggx

Hi there,
if you don't know (in 99,9% that's the case^^) me im Kilian. Im currently studying 3D Art and Animation and im part of a project group called "Project 0814". We are a group of 5 people from the university and we want to start a indie company and develop our first game. By doing this survey we hope to get an in depth view of the current gaming market and extracting a potential consumer group.

So if you're interested, bored or have time please check out our survey hosted by Google Forms!
https://goo.gl/forms/4FiJwM5PbA3tlCd12

The survey takes approximately 5 - 10 Minutes and is completely anonymously but you can give us your spam mail if you want to hear from us in the future.

And if this survey post is against the rules please delete but I couldn't find any reasons in the rules.

Thank you in advance,
Kilian :rolleyes:

Edit: Changed title because of potential confusion.

Edited by Kiliangg

20 minutes ago, sylvix95 said:

You can answer other for gender.

It is for those apache battle helicopters

23 minutes ago, Eddio said:

Well I filled it in. Now where is my cookie? :P 

*passes the virtual cookie* 
Thanks!

I filled it.

To elaborate on two points:

1. Graphics: For me they are most important during the first few seconds when forming the first impression but even then they just underline the shown gameplay. If the Gameplay looks good/interesting/fun/... and then good graphics improve on a good opinion, if the gameplay looks clunky/boring/otherwise bad then good grafics will not change the bad impression. Additionally the longer I play a game the less do graphics matter(not saying that they do not matter at all, but of all points they are one of the least important for me).

2.Pre-purchase: I only do this under one of two conditions.

2.1. I know and trust the developer (and possible publisher), right now I only do that for Nintendo and Cd project red.

2.2. The prepurchase comes with specific conditions that make it less of a blind deal. Example for this would be Warhammer 40k Battlefleet Gothik, when pre-purchased one could play the beta  from the time of the purchase until release (and of course after release you could play the game), but until release you could always give the game back and get your money back from them, which made this a rather good deal.

7 minutes ago, Tam Hawkins said:

I filled it.

To elaborate on two points:

1. Graphics: For me they are most important during the first few seconds when forming the first impression but even then they just underline the shown gameplay. If the Gameplay looks good/interesting/fun/... and then good graphics improve on a good opinion, if the gameplay looks clunky/boring/otherwise bad then good grafics will not change the bad impression. Additionally the longer I play a game the less do graphics matter(not saying that they do not matter at all, but of all points they are one of the least important for me).

2.Pre-purchase: I only do this under one of two conditions.

2.1. I know and trust the developer (and possible publisher), right now I only do that for Nintendo and Cd project red.

2.2. The prepurchase comes with specific conditions that make it less of a blind deal. Example for this would be Warhammer 40k Battlefleet Gothik, when pre-purchased one could play the beta  from the time of the purchase until release (and of course after release you could play the game), but until release you could always give the game back and get your money back from them, which made this a rather good deal.

Thanks for the in depth feed back ! :) 

3 hours ago, Kiliangg said:

True but on the other hand it makes it for indie studios so much easier to get the necessary budget.

Well... they can do early access or kickstarter or something like that. Prepurchase is just lame. And the bigger companies abuse it by 'giving' away limited edition stuff if you prepurchase

2 hours ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

Well... they can do early access or kickstarter or something like that. Prepurchase is just lame. And the bigger companies abuse it by 'giving' away limited edition stuff if you prepurchase

yea thats what I ment. Since you're not receiving the game instantly in all 3 cases.

Filled it out, some questions left me very unsure as what to say, like the 2D/3D question? It depends on the game, some games are better for 2D but i guess most are better with more than only left/right movements with a possible jumping.
   I also found it curious with an app that followed in the game? It depends a lot on what the app does and if it affects gameplay, and how.
   There were some things I felt was missing in what I might enjoy from a game, and it is a very simple to do but not out of the way, grind. There is the bad kind of grind where you play 20+ hours just grinding, and then there is the one where you just need to get better or preferably for me, grind my way into having an easier time playing. This doesn't mean I don't want a challenge, but I am unable to enjoy some games due to how they can sometimes feel like "git gud" games, and it just makes me try less and be annoyed more rather than try to get better. Some examples for me would be the Borderlands 2 game where achievements give you small (almost too small in the end) bonuses to a stat, or Terraria where sometimes it's all about finding better equipment to handle a situation. I guess some people would say Dark Souls since you just need "the right" things to take down a new boss.
   As for Pre-ordering, I have done a lot of pre-ordering in the past on games that I really felt sounded awesome, but now I am so wishing I hadn't done so because it turned out to be games for a totally different sort of player, often people who think outside the box and like the gameplay to be brutal and punishing. Right now I don't have a lot of money to spend on games on a monthly basis, but around 10-20 Euro/Dollars does go to giving it a shot on sites like Chrono.gg, so if I were to pre-order, it would have to come with a Demo or similar I can try out first. Maybe a t-shirt too, but it's usually a very high cost for everyone.
   As for where I prefer to buy my games, I do use Steam the most because it is often the one with most deals, most updates, but really I enjoy GoG a lot more as they are DRM free and it allows for playing games if the internet decides to die on me. But GoG doesn't always get updates etc, so it's an evil circle of no new content = no new purchases.
When it comes to the last question of "Non gameplay related content" and how much I would spend on it per year I am not sure what counts and what doesn't, if you mean skins and such I rarely, if ever, pay for such things.

Always fun being able to help someone out. Good luck Project 0814

First of all thank you for your feed back!

To get to your questions:

12 hours ago, Savatar said:

like the 2D/3D question? It depends on the game, some games are better for 2D but i guess most are better with more than only left/right movements with a possible jumping.

You're right. But our intention was the general style preference. Some people like realistic graphics more than stylized and some like 2D more other don't care at all.

I also found it curious with an app that followed in the game? It depends a lot on what the app does and if it affects gameplay, and how.

Currently we don't have any fixed features. We just talked about it and wanted user feedback. To give you a small outline what were thinking about: social features, shop, auction house, pre game organization (like making a deck in Battle Forge to give this thread some Skyloards Reborn flavor), some mini games for daily rewards, etc.

There were some things I felt was missing in what I might enjoy from a game, and it is a very simple to do but not out of the way, grind. There is the bad kind of grind where you play 20+ hours just grinding, and then there is the one where you just need to get better or preferably for me, grind my way into having an easier time playing. This doesn't mean I don't want a challenge, but I am unable to enjoy some games due to how they can sometimes feel like "git gud" games, and it just makes me try less and be annoyed more rather than try to get better. Some examples for me would be the Borderlands 2 game where achievements give you small (almost too small in the end) bonuses to a stat, or Terraria where sometimes it's all about finding better equipment to handle a situation. I guess some people would say Dark Souls since you just need "the right" things to take down a new boss.

Yeah I thought about that one too. In the end I removed it because in my opinion its kinda a combination of multiple factors. (Collecting, Challenges, even competitive multiplayer gameplay and so on)

As for Pre-ordering, I have done a lot of pre-ordering in the past on games that I really felt sounded awesome, but now I am so wishing I hadn't done so because it turned out to be games for a totally different sort of player, often people who think outside the box and like the gameplay to be brutal and punishing. Right now I don't have a lot of money to spend on games on a monthly basis, but around 10-20 Euro/Dollars does go to giving it a shot on sites like Chrono.gg, so if I were to pre-order, it would have to come with a Demo or similar I can try out first. Maybe a t-shirt too, but it's usually a very high cost for everyone.

Noticed. :D

As for where I prefer to buy my games, I do use Steam the most because it is often the one with most deals, most updates, but really I enjoy GoG a lot more as they are DRM free and it allows for playing games if the internet decides to die on me. But GoG doesn't always get updates etc, so it's an evil circle of no new content = no new purchases.

Yes Steam is kinda the big mothership here and its almost a shame that some games get the updated etc. We would probably handle this by a custom launcher updating all clients to the same (offline play would be possible) but on the other hand I personally often find these launcher to be annoying. Anyway nothing is set to stone right now.

When it comes to the last question of "Non gameplay related content" and how much I would spend on it per year I am not sure what counts and what doesn't, if you mean skins and such I rarely, if ever, pay for such things.

Little list what we account under that point: Skins, Loot boxes, exp boosts, ingame currency boosts, profile pictures, custom voice lines, custom animations for idle, taunt, dance.

Alright I hope I have answered all of you questions^^
Have a nice Day,

Kilian

Edited by Kiliangg

8 hours ago, Kiliangg said:
20 hours ago, Savatar said:

Currently we don't have any fixed features. We just talked about it and wanted user feedback. To give you a small outline what were thinking about: social features, shop, auction house, pre game organization (like making a deck in Battle Forge to give this thread some Skyloards Reborn flavor), some mini games for daily rewards, etc.

When I was playing an MMORPG (FFXIV) they announced an app for the game somewhere close after release. My guilde and I were talking about this quit a bit and the thinks we hoped to be in the app were the following:

-Messages: in game you could send messages to people on your friendlist and we thought it would be cool if we could look at them via app (messages could have items attached)

-friendlist, whisper : to be able to look into our friendlist, send whispers to friend (different from messages as they only get it when they are online or via app and no items).

-Linkshells: these were like chatrooms, people could make one for whatever purpose and invite a finite number of peoplle

-Guildthinks: similiar functions to friendlist, whisper and linkshell but additionally with the entire guildstuff. For example the ingame message for everyone in the guild, seeing whose online and their rank, looking into the guild storage,....

-Item/quest/... catalouge: that is what the app actually ended up to be. We could look up different items and their stats, even npcs and quest information were includet.

-Checking Items: We had different Item storages, checking them out via app and maybe even sorting them and moving thinks from one storage to another (maybe not from storage to actuall bag during a raid or so^^)

-Auctionhoiuse: maybe checking auctions, selling and buying things out and into your storage would be nice

-Retainers: Storage came in the form of NPCs, so called retainers. These retainers could be trained in Figthting and gathering duing task needing either 30min or 18h per task, managing these via app would also be cool

-Crafting: this one is a little bit questionable as we go into one part of the core gameplay here. But beeing able to craft via the app would be pretty nice sometimes.

For Battleforge:

-Chatting

-Auction houses

-Looking at your Cards

-macking decks

I think these are somewhat interesting Ideas and just some of them (not necessarily all) would make the app interesting for me. Just keep in mind that, especially if you make an online game, the more task you can accomplish via app, so to say without frequenting the game, the less likely the players will go into the game just to for example check their storages. SO if you make an MMORPG or something else that makes it important for other players to so people log in, then it might be good to carefully balance how much you put onto the app. (<-allthough if we go back to the ffxiv example then they could also just make the crafting char appear in a hub zone to make him visible for others while crafting, might still work out like that)

• 3 weeks later...