Donations are back... on Patreon !

InsaneHawk

Hello Skylords !

As you saw a few days ago now, we decided to disable our global donation system. You'll have more explainations about this in the upcoming stream.
That being said, donations are now back ... but on Patreon!

Why Patreon ?

Because Patreon is so far so best way for us to reward people that are donating to the project, but also that's safer for us than just a paypal donation link.
Project is going huge, and we're closer than ever to the open-beta, so according to that, we need to be safe on the few incomes we have.
We already said, multiple times that this project isn't going to be pay-to-win, and that's still the case, here's why :

• Thanks to Patreon, you guys will be able to support the project and get some rewards
  • Those rewards aren't linked and will never be linked to actual gameplay elements (such as BFP, cards, boosters etc..)
  • You can donate if you want to support the project, there's no obligations from you to do so!

You can support us from now on our Patreon page ! Become a Patron --> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

Here's the Patreon thanks subject

Donations are back... finally...

I didn't use patreon for donnations yet, but patreon is for monthly donations only? Is it possible to do one time donations as well?

As for the rewards... i am not quite sure about the "meet the staff" rewards for 25+ dollars/months. So far in alpha and beta, i could have some talk with the devs on discord every now and then about developement, the game, game design, future plans etc. without much of a hastle. Is this more casual attitude not going to continue past open beta?

I don't have the money for monthly donations, at least not for the 25+ dollars tiers, but would still like to have some talk/input on game design (simillar as to how it was in alpha/beta). What are my options in that case?

3 minutes ago, LagOps said:

Donations are back... finally...

I didn't use patreon for donnations yet, but patreon is for monthly donations only? Is it possible to do one time donations as well?

As for the rewards... i am not quite sure about the "meet the staff" rewards for 25+ dollars/months. So far in alpha and beta, i could have some talk with the devs on discord every now and then about developement, the game, game design, future plans etc. without much of a hastle. Is this more casual attitude not going to continue past open beta?

I don't have the money for monthly donations, at least not for the 25+ dollars tiers, but would still like to have some talk/input on game design (simillar as to how it was in alpha/beta). What are my options in that case?

If there's big subjects of design, we'll talk at some point generally, but as a Patron, you can be involved deeply in the process.
The more players we'll have, the less talk we can have with everyone as well, we're not anymore the little project we were unfortunatly ^^ So we have to react accordingly

Also, we decided to chose Patreon for the monthly thing yes, you can participate for one month if you want to, and then next month, just remove it ^^ that's up to you !

@InsaneHawk While i can understand that you can't talk to everyone, limiting the 50 dollars tier to just 5 seems a bit much. As for those 25 dollars+ monthly meetings, would it be possible to stream those? I mean, sure you can't have everyone in voice chat, but with text chat (from the stream) that issue is being mitigated quite a bit, no?

What about all those alpha/beta testers? We have kinda been involved for 1 year+ with the devs over discord; will that involvement just end and we will be treated as any other player? If not, what kind of treatment would we expect? Don't get me wrong, we (well at least I...) are very happy for getting an early go at the game, but we were also there trying to crash the game in every way we could think of, writing bug reports, reproducing bugs, showing up on streams, making yt content, promoting the game etc.. All of that is a pretty big commitment for the game and i would honestly be quite a bit upset at getting sidelined as soon as we are no longer needed and don't have the money to subscribe a high tier on patreon.  

23 minutes ago, LagOps said:

@InsaneHawk While i can understand that you can't talk to everyone, limiting the 50 dollars tier to just 5 seems a bit much. As for those 25 dollars+ monthly meetings, would it be possible to stream those? I mean, sure you can't have everyone in voice chat, but with text chat (from the stream) that issue is being mitigated quite a bit, no?

What about all those alpha/beta testers? We have kinda been involved for 1 year+ with the devs over discord; will that involvement just end and we will be treated as any other player? If not, what kind of treatment would we expect? Don't get me wrong, we (well at least I...) are very happy for getting an early go at the game, but we were also there trying to crash the game in every way we could think of, writing bug reports, reproducing bugs, showing up on streams, making yt content, promoting the game etc.. All of that is a pretty big commitment for the game and i would honestly be quite a bit upset at getting sidelined as soon as we are no longer needed and don't have the money to subscribe a high tier on patreon.  

While I do understand your point and would understand why it may bother you, I believe it's also necessary to acknowledge that gaining early access is a reward as is.

Early alpha testers were chosen on streams without signing up, however they were not forced to stay.. Anyone who had received their status could have given it up, in other words we were not forced to do bug testing. While it was frustrating to deal with constant bugs and issues, we also got the chance to enjoy the game as well, which many others had dreamed about doing.

I honestly would be content with just having the alpha/beta tags on the forums as a form of gratitude, but beyond that; I don't think they are capable of providing us with more. 

Not to mention it is necessary, to keep the project alive, to give somewhat a higher importance to donors, which on the long run encourages people to donate and keep the server alive, it's a way of business really and you can't blame them for that really. 

@LagOps If we end up being able to support more than 5 $50 tiers, we can always look into that later. It's not something that's forever set in stone, but it's the limit we're sticking to for now. If we require more high-value donation slots then we may add those in the future.

The $25 tier calls for meetings that are intended to be private. Streaming said meeting would take away most of the privilege of being in said meeting. Also note that suggestions in said meeting will not at all be guaranteed implementation or increase authority in development discussions.

As for your alpha/beta tester inquiry:
Alpha and Beta testers have been willingly able to help our development of the server, in exchange for being able to play the game. This is the main reward that people were interested in, after all you'd get to play the game way before it would be released. This was at the condition of testing said game, and helping around. In addition to this, you will retain your forum ranks as well as your Discord ranks, and will be listed and thanked in the game credits. We understand and greatly value your commitment to the game and its development, and if you are an active and helpful member with Alpha and/or Beta experience, of course we will take this into account in development if the situation calls for it, but there will be no special meetings, no priority in developer decisions, and no additional benefits as what is already mentioned. We also mentioned in the start of the alpha phase that additional benefits would be unlikely as we simply can't offer a whole lot more. Any advantage over regular players would be out of the question; as would providing this through Patreon, for example.

Your alpha/beta ranks bear quite the weight; it shows that you've been here from the get-go, from before the open beta even launched, and have served and supported this project massively to make it a reality. Without you alpha and beta testers the game would be way further away from the state it is in now, and that idea itself is quite an impressive and valuable trait to carry along into Skylords Reborn. You will reflect this on Discord as well as the forums, and even within the game itself. 

I understand your concern about this, I truly do, but for now this is the best we can do.

2 minutes ago, MrXLink said:

We also mentioned in the start of the alpha phase that additional benefits would be unlikely as we simply can't offer a whole lot more. Any advantage over regular players would be out of the question; as would providing this through Patreon, for example.

You will reflect this on Discord as well as the forums, and even within the game itself.

I never wanted an advantage nor any benefit besides from being acknowledged as an alpha tester. To me that doesn't only mean a badge on the forums but also to be taken seriously when I post something. During the course of this project I have gathered a lot of experience regarding both the game and especially the community. For me, seeing that respected means being acknowledged.
All that I ask of you is to not make the development cycle into a 'pay-to-talk-to-the-devs'. You guys talking with any- and everyone, taking their suggestions and feedback is what makes this project more than just BattleForge or SkylordsReborn but into a community. I just hope this won't change.

Seeing you say our status will be reflected is nice though.

@Kaliber84 of course we will keep doing what we already do! We will keep listening and talking to everyone, that was never the intention to set aside. The meeting is meant to be like being together with several devs talking live about SR or whatever, but it does not make said patrons have any more value in their opinions or suggestions. I'm so sorry my reply made you believe otherwise.

We are and will always be a development team that listens to its community and their feedback and suggestions, and I try my best to take everyone into account and to make design and development decisions that are best for the community as a whole. We will never change our mentality on this and I will personally represent the entire community as best as I can towards the development team, and our Patreon programme will not at all influence the validity, value or meaning we derive from community members. Every voice matters: members, testers and patrons alike, and we will make sure to treat all opinions equally.

Don't worry, we've got you, SR community! ^.=.^

Thanks for explaining the new concept, however why not keeping both ways for donations (paypal and patreon)?

I need to admit, patreon would not be an option to me, as it feels like a contract, hence I would not do. Paypal offers a higher flexibility to those like me and finally thats what I did already to support this project. Maybe with a combination of both, you can cover both parties. 

In general I do strongly recommend to not promote patreons in that way to significantly (dont get me wrong, i can fully understand, why this deemed to be a good choice); as its finally a kind of gray-zone, as people are gettings somehow benefits, even if this is not in-game, however due to the game even if outside the game. 

Paypal sadly proved to be no longer a valid option. This has to do with some recent changes and the limitations paypal has on their accounts, and terms we currently cannot meet. I fully get that a subscription on Patreon isn't the most efficient or great-feeling thing for many, but Patreon's regulations are way more flexible, to the extent that we decided to use it over paypal. In our stream next week we will further cover why patreon is a thing and why paypal currently isn't.

As for patrons, we do want to encourage people to donate, but we still treat the community equally no matter what. No in-game advantages will be given, but we will have to get some rewards in to make the system more appealing so we can keep servers and development up for longer.

Also know that though it's a monthly thing, you can just donate and then unsubscribe so the monthly payment is not a must at all.

How about this idea.

Having a dedicated youtube account, were the community provide best possible replays too, this would be a great collection and generates many likes and watched videos, leading to a broader community and mid-term you may get some youtube benefits you can invest into servers?