Welcome to Skylords Reborn

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• InsaneHawk

Join our Discord !   05/04/17

We're starting to do Giveaways on our Discord, so be sure to follow it and join it
      Here's the link to access our Discord : https://discordapp.com/invite/0y3WGMGXhd5q2lXA
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Malzawar

A question about private servers.

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

In case this project fails before oficial release or in case the skylord servers close down after any amount of time after the release, will the server code and/or files be made public, so that any private person could for example host a server for private purposes to for example play with friends or at a lan-party?

Edited by Malzawar

Posted (edited)

@MrXLink ?

Even tho, i'm pretty sure with all the work the team achieved, it's safe to say that the project cannot fail.

Edited by sylvix95

1 hour ago, sylvix95 said:

@MrXLink ?

Even tho, i'm pretty sure with all the work the team achieved, it's safe to say that the project cannot fail.

Eventually everything "fails".

Good development in my eyes is having a plan for after the "death" of a game. Contrary to EA practices, that just shut games down and everybody can hang their cd/virtual copy on the wall in their room now.

For example Notch's Scrolls still runs its servers without using any manpower. No more patches, automatic restart cycle. But the last ~20 die-hard-fans still play it from time to time.

I feel like having some guarantee for a way to play a game even after most of the interest dies outis a very nice thing.

I want my grandchildren to experience battleforge, even if skylords and ea is gone by that time.

This project is now partly owned by Ardent Peak, as far as I know, as well as Blank and Hawk. They decide its future and I don't think any plans of shutdown are in place now. However, yes, everything (and everyone :shadoworb: ) eventually dies, but I don't think the code will be made public by then, as it's already partly owned by a company. Not sure why they would let it go, but that's just my opinion. I may be totally wrong, but lets hope this project brings back BattleForge forever in any form.

At the very beginning I believe they said it will be likely for them to release server files if the project was shutdown, however; now I don't think they have that in mind anymore because of the reasons anonyme listed.

I'm not sure ownership has much to do with it. Ardent Peak is just responsible for overseeing the project, revenues and stuff like that. EA gave permission for this project through the company. All source code is probably still owned fully by the team. I don't see why any legalities would prevent them from releasing the code. Although this is all just speculation, we would have to hear from the staff themselves to be sure.

Posted (edited)

So to kind of conclude this in case somebody might use the search function.

It sounds for me, like there is at least the possibility. No official statement or decision yet though.80c7aacf04.png.7df576e4ae4bbaccada43970ae27aae0.png

Edited by Malzawar

It could be considered as an option, but we can't really say anything for sure about what happens then. Depends on the circumstances and we'd discuss the options within the team. It could definitely be an option but we can't say for sure what we would decide.