• Stupid
    • Smart
    • Average Intelligence
    • No Particular Intelligence
    • White
    • Asian
    • Other ethnicities
    • No Particular Ethniticty

Sort of for fun, sparked by a conversation I had with YaBro0. What kind of person do you think of, when you think of a Kevin? Feel free to post any thoughts below :)

I'm also writing a story about a generic Kevin, so curious how that would be received in other countries.

When I think of someone named Kevin, I think of someone who's a jokester, the one always telling jokes and some people might even think he doesn't take anything seriously, however at times, he can get extremely serious in situations where it's needed.

To be fair here, i think the poll is not really - missing the correct english phrase here - equally distributed to make a guy named Kevin get away well...

Edit: for example what about an afro-american (politically correct term?) who is a Genius but lives in Asia with is Caucasian parents who adopted him.

Also you will probably get feedback here from a community of mainly 15-30 year old male gamers, mostly i guess. If that's your target group it's fine though, i'd guess.

Edited by Massmerize
addition to post

1 hour ago, Massmerize said:

To be fair here, i think the poll is not really - missing the correct english phrase here - equally distributed to make a guy named Kevin get away well...

Edit: for example what about an afro-american (politically correct term?) who is a Genius but lives in Asia with is Caucasian parents who adopted him.

Also you will probably get feedback here from a community of mainly 15-30 year old male gamers, mostly i guess. If that's your target group it's fine though, i'd guess.

It's mostly just for fun :)

"Smart" and "other ethnicity" would work for your example, although I'm really asking about the stereotype, not an individual case. Somehow I doubt that if I tell you I want you to meet my friend Kevin, you'll automatically assume he's a genius adopted african-american :)

1 minute ago, Archmystic said:

wheres the option for "Home Security Genius", "bad burglars worst nightmare" or "Trap aficionado" ?

haha :)

Is Home Alone the first thing you think of when you think of Kevin?

4 minutes ago, Eirias said:

haha :)

Is Home Alone the first thing you think of when you think of Kevin?

Yep, Kevin is kind of an unusual name where i am from, i actually think i have only heard/seen the name in movies/series :D

25 minutes ago, ImperatorSK said:

Must always think of the study that people with the name kevin have the lowest intelligence.

Would not be so funny if i did not know kevins that prove this stereotype. 

Positive reinforcement perhaps? I am sure there are tons of intelligent kevins 

19 minutes ago, Ultrakool said:

Positive reinforcement perhaps? I am sure there are tons of intelligent kevins 

For sure, but thats why its called stereotypes, stereotypes are not nice. Alot of lower class people in germany call their kids kevin so.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2012/02/01/does-a-lame-name-make-you-more-likely-to-be-a-smoker-with-low-self-esteem/#.WNOWn2_hDcs

We have alot of german sites that make fun over the kevinismus syndrome (kevinism) .

Edited by ImperatorSK

ah yes... the Kevin syndrom. the stereotypical kevin is from a backwater place and uneducated. the main feature ppl usually associate with the syndrom is that Kevins usually waste their lives and amount to nothing.

That's basically the internet meme if you will, but i really can't confirm any of that.

12 minutes ago, Asraiel said:

if i hear Kevin my 1. thougt is the film: Kevin alone at Home

In english it's just "Home Alone" :P

Anyhow, I personally connect the name Kevin with a multitude of things, ofc the Sterotypical idiot named Kevin, but from my personal experience I've gotta say that most Kevin's I know are insane in one way or the other.

9 minutes ago, Shotty said:

Anyhow, I personally connect the name Kevin with a multitude of things, ofc the Sterotypical idiot named Kevin, but from my personal experience I've gotta say that most Kevin's I know are insane in one way or the other.

you mean like this Kevin:

hqdefault.jpg

this is the other Kevin that came into my mind by thinking of an Kevin:

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Asraiel

I know someone called Kevin, he is smart, but very shy and doesn't talk much (he is like me :P).

When I meet someone, regardless of his/her name, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, I try to don't think of this kind of stereotypes (good or bad) and take the person for who she is, the good and the bad (god that's so hard sometimes...).

9 hours ago, Aegis1020 said:

When I meet someone, regardless of his/her name, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, I try to don't think of this kind of stereotypes (good or bad) and take the person for who she is, the good and the bad (god that's so hard sometimes..

Yeah, but I'm just asking about stereotypes :) 

These are useful (for instance in my case) when you want to write a story with a character with a certain trait/personality, and if you can find a name that fits, you're halfway there :)

UPDATE: I finished my story, and it seems that 68% of you think Kevin is a name for dumb people :)

1 hour ago, Eirias said:

These are useful (for instance in my case) when you want to write a story with a character with a certain trait/personality, and if you can find a name that fits, you're halfway there :)

Eirias i guess your Name is: Kevin :)

1 hour ago, Eirias said:

UPDATE: I finished my story, and it seems that 68% of you think Kevin is a name for dumb people :)

dumb can also be briliant. if someone may be dumb in certain situations he/she may be briliant in another part -.-