Deckbuilder App for Adroid/Apple

Asraiel

Hope this such a topic doesnt exist

If someone knows a bit aout how to create an app it would be nice to have a deckbuilder app. this idea came to me during the posting in the Topic "Minigames" and by watching on my Phone.

If seen the Cardpage linked here in the forum and wy not a simple app to create decks:

-Just with option to sort the cards like Color, Tier, Type and then something to put them in "deck" and of corse with all the data on the upgrades and saveable but a working app without any need for a server conection

-maybe even an app that only shows the Forge the cards the deck. so you can build decks upgrade cards (or simply select the upgraded card) an may be summon them with sound and so kinda like this (3 min pic so its cheap):

EAtSDcK.jpg

But without the chats, online-userlist, coins and bfp, game menu.

it is work and i for my part dont know how to create such an app but at least was the froge itself one of the first things thats worked on Skylord Reborn or the older BFR

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know some basics and played around with the Android SDK, Cordova ( / PhoneGAP), Xamarin and a few others. Built only a small App in Cordova.

1. An app as you show it (with the Forge) would take to much work to do without any use.

2. Smartphones are to slow to show the forge, except if you heavily simplify all models (render to low poly models and some 3d editing skills would be necessary) and greatly lower the textures. The graphics would be by a great factor worse than what you show, even that worse that most people would think: "man does this look like shit".

3. This game is as mentioned in another thread almost 5 GB, I know that there are Smartphones with 64GB and more (I even own such) but its still to big. Combined with step 2 you could maybe shrink it to 1 GB or so (even the card textures would take several MB), but I still wouldnt count that as small.

But I think the idea is nice but not doable in a way you described it (with your images).

The 2 reasonable ways to build such an app (effort, limits of mobile platforms):

1. Build an app from scratch, without the forge and containing only the cards and the deck building functionality. Maybe still to much effort someone had to put in.

2. Port something already existing to the smartphone.

I am thinking especially of this page: https://allcards.bfreborn.com/ (If it doesnt work for you, you have to click on the symbol left of the url and disable the security feature).

Maybe you / someone thinks: "How? This is a page and we are talking about an app!" Yes that is right, but the page doesnt need communication with a server (besides of the loading of the cards), so it is generally able to be offline capable. Now the former mentioned Cordova comes into play, because it is an App Wrapper for apps written in HTML, CSS and JS (with the ability of including native, platform specific, libraries). That means if you change some details of allcards and put it in an cordova project you will get an app. The pictures of the maps could be included in the app instead of loading them from a server. Maybe you even doesnt need to change anything. What I think what necessarily should be change is the stylesheet, because it doesnt fit mobile devices.

But a better question is: is there someone interested in doing the work? You for example?

16 minutes ago, Sykole said:

Fits perfectly with the Cards API of Null's, too bad I don't develop for IOS or Andriod. :(

Which cards API?

@SilenceKiller99Allcards does work just disenable the auto block in order to load but it isnt designed fot touchscreens (symbols very small)

well even if it doenst happen its opening the way that may be at some point after release and without restriction form EA, someone gonna do a app version of Battleforge :')

Edited by Asraiel

It depends, if you use Cordova, Codename One or Xamarin for example (there exist even further), then you can build multi platform apps (android, windows phone, windows 10 and iOS). The biggest problem would be, that the dev have to have the platform himself to be able to test the app on it. Still you could be lucky that it just works on windows phone without extra testing.

Also I think the chances are greater to get it working on windows phone as well than getting it working on iOS. Because to be able to develop for iOS (even with cordova, codename one and xamarin) you need an apple computer (for the compilation) or special build server where you have to pay for. Further you need an annual subscription for iOS, where you have to pay a fee only once for the google store to be even able to deploy it. From a non commercial (a app that isnt made to sell it for many people) view the iOS platform is the worst you could target, even if your app is already multi platform it usually makes sense to skip the iOS platform, while you could target the windows platform, even if there arent that many people using it. Also the restrictions at iOS are the biggest, apple could even say: "no, we dont like you or your app so, thank you for paying the subscription, developing, and so, but you are out of luck, that was for nothing, good bye". There were even some very suspicious decisions to the last point, by apple.

So I wouldnt take for sure that an app for windows phone is impossible to happen, when an app for android will get developed, even if I would doubt that there would be one for iOS. The main platform would be still android.

I was also thinking about such an app, at earlier stages of skylords reborn. I've done some advanced android development before and am able to do an offline deck bulding/ cardbase app for battleforge.

Without the forge suggestion or any 3d previews.

Also I only do android and have little motivation to look into cross platforming that.

Plus I have upcoming exams in a few weeks, so I wont start anything before that is over.

So to sum it up: If there is enough interest and nobody else does it, I will. Or I could help with android development if there is somebody more motivated than me :D

Edited by Malzawar

I am doing an IT course in school.
AND I am learning to create apps.
If you want, I could make that app like that, only, it'll have to be without the forge, or
with another way of spawning it, because the forge would take too much space & etc on your phone
so I could build one, just not know as I do not know yet about the scripting side of app's
I only made the UI & animations, just no functions yet.

3 minutes ago, Defqon said:

as I do not know yet about the scripting side of app's

But thats the main point ;). Still could be a good exercise.

1 hour ago, Malzawar said:

Or I could help with android development if there is somebody more motivated than me :D

The only reason I would do that, would be to look deeper in the Xamarin Development (Cross Plattform, and C# instead of Java). But you can do that, I dont think I am interested enough to do the app, have enough other stuff I am more interested in, to do or which is more important for me.

well the topic is a 2 idea topic:

deckbuilder is the main part and the froge only an extend of that

not every app is allowed under apple. apple does test them first so the users dont get malware or spyware in form of an app. the restrictions are made to protect the customers. in other words you can say what Phoenix313 mentioned. only around 35% of every android app makes it to apple because of those restrictions. if there is a fee to pay in advance i dont know. but such an app like an offline deck builder would have a high chance to get thru the prosess. had some user made apps for other games like grindingguides or weapon builders and those where offline free apps as well.

on the other hand you can see such an app like some kind of a commercial to the game itself

Edited by Asraiel

The restrictions are not to protect against malware. It is also to ensure quality for example, but what quality is, is up to apple not to common sense, not to the user, not to the dev, just to apple.

Also I remember one example which I have read about, where a small company built an app for the iOS platform, they sold it for a while, everything was fine, some months later apple decided to built a similar app and and what happened? The former app vanished from the market...

Another point is that apple could block the app because it is using material which belongs to EA, so that they could say, that they wont risk any problems and wont let the app in the app store.

This restrictions are just partly to protect the users by malware.

1 hour ago, Asraiel said:

on the other hand you can see such an app like some kind of a commercial to the game itself

By commercial it was meant to get money by selling it, more than you had to invest by developing it and the subscriptions you have to pay and the apple hardware you have to buy.

6 minutes ago, Phoenix313 said:

By commercial it was meant to get money by selling it, more than you had to invest by developing it and the subscriptions you have to pay and the apple hardware you have to buy.

@Phoenix313 With commercial i ment advertising for the game maybe later after the playercount dorps to get mor plyers back to the game

wy buying apple hardwear? my bro has an apple notebook whith ios and he can start a windows on it as well. my pc has win 10 but i only need ios then this works as well. so no hardwear.

devlopping yep takes time and subcribing may coste a fee but first thing first and that would be creating the app then if its done and works we will find problably every cellphone operating system in the 10000 registred player to this forum.

the fee when it reaches that could also be payed with donations so noone that doest want to share his wealth doesnt have to pay. 

You should always consider where you want to deploy, how much it costs and so on BEFORE developing an app.

You need the apple hardware because the compilers and software you need to create apps and deploy them are only available for apple hardware. Also I know about "hackintosch", but thats not a solution you should rely on, because its not said that it will always work and second it isnt completely legal...

Also it was something about 200€ per year, not sure if there are enough people that want a deck-builder app (just for iOS) that much, that you can get really 200€ per year by donations. I really doubt it.

Edited by Phoenix313

1 hour ago, Phoenix313 said:

You should always consider where you want to deploy, how much it costs and so on BEFORE developing an app.

You need the apple hardware because the compilers and software you need to create apps and deploy them are only available for apple hardware. Also I know about "hackintosch", but thats not a solution you should rely on, because its not said that it will always work and second it isnt completely legal...

Also it was something about 200€ per year, not sure if there are enough people that want a deck-builder app (just for iOS) that much, that you can get really 200€ per year by donations. I really doubt it.

what i ment to be more clear is to create the ap for android first. and then maybe reprogram it so that it does work under others as well.

kinda like create a product and then adust it for the diffrent costumers

7 hours ago, Asraiel said:

what i ment to be more clear is to create the ap for android first. and then maybe reprogram it so that it does work under others as well.

kinda like create a product and then adust it for the diffrent costumers

You have to think about it before, because choosing a framework that isnt available on another system would lead into a complete recreation of the software (developing it 2x) instead of just adjusting it to be able to run it somewhere else.

for the cost here a article but the prices are by hireing a proffessional programmer so the price may be high

https://www.quora.com/How-much-will-a-chat-app-and-game-app-cost-to-build#

In this:

Daniel Frisk, IOS and Android app developer Written Dec 22, 2015 says (about in the middle of the article)

Launching the app:

$99 on the App Store, $25 to register on Google Play

Simple app:

Everything is installed in the device

Takes 2-4 weeks to develop

Expected cost: $1,500-$4,000

but best read the full article because its more about paying someone to create it. and has a lot diffrent part in it like chat systems and starting from point 0. but we have all data on the cards allredyso we are not at point 0. 

you have to look how much it would coste to build Battleforge from scrach on and how much it does now (alldo many free working dev) but a deckbuilder doesnt have the same amount of data and if it says without community interaction its getting even simpler. like the first things that worked on BFR was the forge and pve content but chats and everything related to community is the biggest bugfixing part

on the cost it self i dont know if such an app would run under arden pik or skylords reborn. maybe it could be even seperated which would give the opportunity to put a pruchasing fee on it in app stores. (just mention it, because i looked into existing deckbuilder apps on the applestore and there are many low price apps to build decks most for Magic the gathering)

Edited by Asraiel

I think the person who would build the app, wont pay himself, so the costs are just for the equipment and deployment + (free) time of the developer.

Also I know that you have to pay for google, too, but as far as I know it is 1. lower and 2. once and not annual. Not sure about the Microsoft store, but I think its more like the android one.

The equipment for developing an android app is in most cases already available. For the microsoft part a some of the equipment is in most cases available too, maybe using the emulators wouldnt make it necessary to get a microsoft phone for development, too. Just the apple equipment is in most cases not available and expensive + you have to count the annual subscription in.

To the page you linked: This are the most lowest prices for really basic stuff. I am not sure if this app can be counted as such really basic app, when building from scratch.

Especially the forge, social stuff and so on would lead into a non basic app. and you could correct the prices up to 100,000+ probably.

Also the estimated time is for full time work on the app by professionals that do the whole day nothing else than apps. Dont know if here is someone that also does nothing else than app development and is willing to do the same in his free time.

you have to look how much it would coste to build Battleforge from scrach on and how much it does now (alldo many free working dev) but a deckbuilder doesnt have the same amount of data and if it says without community interaction its getting even simpler. like the first things that worked on BFR was the forge and pve content but chats and everything related to community is the biggest bugfixing part

That is because without the forge you couldnt do the social stuff, because you couldnt connect and test if it is working, also reverse engineering wouldnt be possible probably. Also the devs are building the server, NOT the client that means that everything you see isnt touched by the devs. They are working on parts you dont see. Especially for the forge I am sure, that the interaction amount to the server is pretty little compared to the social stuff because most of the stuff in the forge is done by the client, which was already done (by EA).

46 minutes ago, Phoenix313 said:

Especially the forge, social stuff and so on would lead into a non basic app.

well as mention it the prior idea is only the deckbuilding. know that posting such an image in the starting post may confuse peoples to much.

forget everything about the forge or social connection in this app and only take the cardbase, deckbuild, saving deckbuild on phone or elsewhere and search/sorting options and thats all for the app.

that way the data package remains low. to lower the data package maybe even only add the cards in max upgrade so that there are only 540 cards and not them 4x to have every upgradelevel so instead of 2160 cards only 540. dont know how the highest quality is for the card pictures but if it is on 1 MByte each its allredy 540 MB big it depends a lot how big the card pics are to lower the MB.

to the cost in general i only found post about paying someone money to do all and get a fortune. but non so far that disribes the cost on a free based devloppment with only the nessesary payments.

i hear in here from you that cost this and this cost that but does you have some real price in the best case some links to read it?

in general may even Ardent Peak help by the look on their HP http://www.ardentpeak.com

Edited by Asraiel

apple:

https://developer.apple.com/support/compare-memberships/

=> Ok, there is something mentioned of about 99$ per year (individuals). But I have read on other sources also 199$. Maybe they were wrong.

also you need this: https://www.amazon.com/s/field-keywords=iphone

and this: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=mac+book

I dont know if every macbook will do the job.

total: approximately > 1000 €/$ and 99$ per year

google:

https://developer.android.com/distribute/google-play/start.html

=> 25$ once.

also you need a computer (mac, windows pc, maybe linux)

an android phone

both cost 0 if you already have them.

total: 25 $

microsoft:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/account-types-locations-and-fees

=> 14€ once / 19 $ once (individuals)

also you need a computer (windows pc, maybe mac), 0 if you already have

also this: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=windows+phone

total: approximately 150 €/$

that way the data package remains low. to lower the data package maybe even only add the cards in max upgrade so that there are only 540 cards and not them 4x to have every upgradelevel so instead of 2160 cards only 540. dont know how the highest quality is for the card pictures but if it is on 1 MByte each its allredy 540 MB big it depends a lot how big the card pics are to lower the MB.

first: there arent 4 seperate images

second: look at this thread:

=> 200 MB zipped, but you could extract only the unit / spell / building images and combine them with the correct card templates. I think that is how allcards is doing it. You could just get the source of it and see your self how big it is.