Wish to contribute to the project by donating? Heads up to our Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

• Announcements

• InsaneHawk

We now have a Patreon !   10/16/17

Donations are back, but they're now all on Patreon ! Feel free to check it out : https://goo.gl/TwmHYW
Sign in to follow this  
Ladadoos

Minigames

Hey there,

I decided to make this thread to pretty much ask for suggestions you might have about some minigames I could create in BF. Whether that be real life board games, minigames from another game you really like or a minigame you just came up with, I might try to make it in BF as long I think it's achievable. Of course all suggestions are more than welcome, but the more original the idea the better. My main goal with this is to improve my understanding of the map editor, especially the scripting side of it, so I probably won't spend a billion hours making a map look very good since that's just a matter of spending time texturing, placing objects etc... I might do it however if the map ends up being fun and people like it. Nonetheless, your suggestions are welcome (even if it's suggestions about my older maps)! 

I've already made ARAM (League of Legends), Colosseum (Age of Empires) (Colosseum explanation), Connect 4 and Tic Tac Toe* minigame. What's next?

Thanks for your time

:ladadoos:

*For those who are curious, here is how it looks like/works:
You use the operators to do your move and once you've done so the operators are given to the other player so that he can do his move. The used operators disappear and a symbol is placed on that slot accordingly. The blue marker shows the last move done by a player. The game is able to detect when a player wins or if it was a draw. I also added a reset switch that pl_Player1 can use at the end of each round in order to reset the map so that you don't have to restart the whole match to play another round. This reset switch however has one small issue which I still have to fix which causes the map not to be reset properly, but it has proven to be more annoying than expected. Will look into that later. :rolleyes: 

TTT1.png.ac127ad6906171801779042e5ea404d4.pngTTT2.png.70f102ad23a3e9e36c270770231106b4.png

Edited by Ladadoos
Added Connect 4.

I love your idea! If we all can get many "minigame" ideas, we could actually be able to make a new function in skylords reborn, like PVP, PVE & then a tab with "Skygames" or so. (possibility)
also, I believe you are trying to recreate an OXO game? or am I mistaken?
Anyway I rlly think this topic will get alot of attention, it's nice for sure

Would it be possible to make maps similiar as they were in War craft 3? The possibilities for map making in that game amazed me and where one of the reasons why i(and probably a lot of other players) played the game so long.

9 hours ago, Defqon said:

also, I believe you are trying to recreate an OXO game? or am I mistaken?

I always called it tic tac toe, but it seems like OXO is the same. I guess the answer to your question is yes :P

1 hour ago, Tam Hawkins said:

Would it be possible to make maps similiar as they were in War craft 3? 

You mean how the map looks like or the functionality behind them ? I have never played war craft 3

guys what about tier restricted PvPs?

I mean just tier 1 PvPs, we'll choose at first.

Or Tier 2 is allowed, no more.

Or more specific, just tier 4 units PvP, no Orb changin, just 1 time Choosing

BTW, maybe dont have to mention in this topic but just got the idea :)

I think this type of PvPs will be like minigames, so quick and fun.

Not all the times, just like an event in a term.

Edited by Akela
lol

45 minutes ago, Ladadoos said:

You mean how the map looks like or the functionality behind them ? I have never played war craft 3

Allright then i will go a bit more into detail for this:

War craft 3 (WC3) is a pretty normall stragegy game in which you build your structurs with wood and gold and then build units in these structures, you can even build units that can level up and learn skills besides the one given to them after production, so called heroes. There are also upgrades you can research for your normal units (from damage or defense increases to new abilities) and there can be shops on the map to buy items for your heroes.

Now the editor:

That one gave people a lot of freedom to change the game up into ways that were extremly different from normal game modes.

One example would be Mobas (during that time called "Aoen of strife") beeing made in this editor.

other examples would be

1.creep wars:

Build different structures that will spawn creeps depending on the structur that will move in waves to the enemy base, first fighting the enemies wave and then later attacking the base (if they were sucesfull),      buildings could be upgraded and the units would become stronger, building/upgrading more would increase your income allowing you to go for better buildings/upgrades

2. Tower defense:

buidling towers to defend against waves of creeps. these maps were either made in a coop version where you needed to defend a location with multiple players or were made as vs mode where everyone had his own location and the winner was the last man standing

3. RPGs

Practically changing an RTS into an RPG sometimes single player sometimes multiplayer, they even managed to implement save options were you could load your old hero into a new game with new players <- this function was not at all supported by the game and was a massive step when it happened first. sometimes even with a good story and cinematics.

4. Survivals:

Zombies/Aliens/Bugs/Whatever roam the map in great numbers and kill everithing they come close to. You and the other players will need to survive as long as possible. Sometimes basebuilding style sometimes Heroe style depending on the map and the options given

5.Monster vs Players:

A number of players ae set into a scenario in which they hav eto build up a base to defend against an attacking monster. the interesting part about this is that no one knows who the monster is, at the first night a random player will transform into an either pre determined or randomly choosen monster. This player can only win by defeating everyone else (the other player need to kill him) and he has to make sure that no one finds out that he is the Monster which will be increasingly harder as he will transform back and forth everytime night and day changes and the number/direction of attacks/who did not get attacked yet will sooner or later give away the player (and in the worst case they see him transform).

6. So much more

Almost anything was possible to make with this editor as long as you were willing to invest your time into it.

So my question was more or less if making maps that go away from the original gameplay are a possibility or if that seems not possible at all?

*Edit:
I would like to give an example how 1. creep wars could look in Battleforge:

let's imaging a simple map like this (this is an actuall wc3 map):

castle-fight-1_22.jpg.4ea51c4ec539b621115c97fc4bcb08da.jpg

You can see the colorfull crosses on the right and left side, these arethe player locations and the beige point behind them is the castle they try to protect.

Every player can now build building from a faction he choose before (sometimes random depending on the game mode), in BF this could be done via the decks. For example a fire player could have the option to build a scavenger, thugs, or sun striders in the beginnig, he would place the units like he does normaly but instead of having controll over them the unit is stationary (or looks totally different if you want to make a new modell just for that). The player then has different options for the "building": Upgrade to get a better but similiar unit, deactivate: no units will spawn anymore but part of the money (enrgy in battleforge) will be gifen back ~80%, Activate: pay back the money(energy) again to activate the unit spawn. The Buildings will also work as an energy well with unlimited amounts of energy (if possible energie gain/need needs to be adjusted)

Every "Building" would have one building specific function:

1.Spawning a unit every 15 sec(set globall time so all buildings will spawn at the same time)

2.Spells will have a cooldown after which either automatically or on the players demand the spell will be activated

3. Passive buildings that give different kind of boni either in a restricted area or on the entire map.

4. Defenses like towers

Every player would also have acces to one small area outside of the normally accesible area in which four monuments would be accesible for these players.

I have no idea how much work that would be, or how much people would like that. But it was a rather fun game mode iin War craft 3 and i think it might be a good way to increase the interest people would have for this game when we look at player numbers for lets say 10 years after release.

**Edit2:

You know what, I'll try creating this now. Without any knoledge about how the game actually plays and never having used the map editor besides shortly looking at it it will be rather frustrating, but i should at least be able to get the layout done^^

Edited by Tam Hawkins

Tower Defense! A preset path for units to walk through and spots to build certain towers on (Defense Towers, Cannon Towers, that anti-air building noone uses and more). 

Since you want a challenge, you can try making these turrets upgradeable. Also set Power gaining from enemy corpses, rather than wells, a wave advance button that instantly calls the next wave, scaling enemy strenght and score. Good luck :P 

Or a quiz - trivia, for example - a question is asked, and a player has to activate module A, B or C to mark their answer. The player with most correct answers wins, or the punishment for a wrong answer it a wave of enemies towards that player. Whoever survives longer, wins (so not just knowledge is of matter, but also ability to play gives you a chance to stay ingame)

3 hours ago, Asraiel said:

Well for minigames it gives the classic boardgames like chess withe the creatures and battle kinda like in Harry potter style witzh the magic chess

This would be amazing! For all of you who have not seen the HP movies (shame on you), the magic chess scene

@Ladadoos A fun project to learn more about scripting might be to add a score system to the tic-tac-toe game (which is called butter-chees--and-eggs in Dutch, for some reason xD ). Maybe just add a structure on the left if player 1 wins, and on the right if player 2 wins... so the first with for example 5 structures piled up wins the game or so...

Maybe another fun map idea might be: spam a map with a lot of power wells, and the first player to get a certain amount of power (e.g. 5000 or so) wins the game... (I know, its kind of a silly game, but you might learn some new scripting things?)

What about a pacman Minigame? xD I got this doctorred out:

So you make a map (maze like, like pacman)
and start in the middle , you for example are an melee unit (max 3 orbs)
and the ghosts are for example brannocs with 10k hp & more that wander around and will try to kill you 

Use amii switches as the candy like things to make the brannocs eatable (change them for example to northguards) so that they are killed fastly
& after a certain time, they switch back to the brannocs

And when all ghosts (brannocs) are dead, you win the game :D

Well for PvP Minigames woulkd be fun to have diffrent modes like:

- No Vaults each player starts with a set amount of energy and cant get more

- Tier restrictions

- Tier 4 battles with each base has 4 monuments but between both is an NPC Enemybase (if this gets destroyed by en event or you need to fight thru is still open)

- A mode with a dice to roll energy, units, buildings, spells

- tournament mode where players get a amount of bosterpacks and only with them have to play (winner can keep the cards)

10 hours ago, Tam Hawkins said:

You know what, I'll try creating this now. Without any knoledge about how the game actually plays and never having used the map editor besides shortly looking at it it will be rather frustrating, but i should at least be able to get the layout done^^

Alright :P 

10 hours ago, Tam Hawkins said:

3. RPGs

Practically changing an RTS into an RPG sometimes single player sometimes multiplayer, they even managed to implement save options were you could load your old hero into a new game with new players <- this function was not at all supported by the game and was a massive step when it happened first. sometimes even with a good story and cinematics.

5.Monster vs Players:

A number of players ae set into a scenario in which they hav eto build up a base to defend against an attacking monster. the interesting part about this is that no one knows who the monster is, at the first night a random player will transform into an either pre determined or randomly choosen monster. This player can only win by defeating everyone else (the other player need to kill him) and he has to make sure that no one finds out that he is the Monster which will be increasingly harder as he will transform back and forth everytime night and day changes and the number/direction of attacks/who did not get attacked yet will sooner or later give away the player (and in the worst case they see him transform).

Well, as far as I know there is no way of doing either one of these. 3 sounds impossible because there is no way to save things and load them on a new map. How did they do it ? As for 4, whenever one player transforms, you can just see who it is by their color on the minimap. Also can't think of a way at the moment to change the player team and also to give his placed structures/units to the rest or to keep them alive if he switches :/ Interesting suggestions though nonetheless!

8 hours ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

@Ladadoos A fun project to learn more about scripting might be to add a score system to the tic-tac-toe game (which is called butter-chees--and-eggs in Dutch, for some reason xD ). Maybe just add a structure on the left if player 1 wins, and on the right if player 2 wins... so the first with for example 5 structures piled up wins the game or so...

Maybe another fun map idea might be: spam a map with a lot of power wells, and the first player to get a certain amount of power (e.g. 5000 or so) wins the game... (I know, its kind of a silly game, but you might learn some new scripting things?)

Adding a scoring system to the minigame is very easy. I'd probably use MissionCounters and display them as a goal next to your minimap as "0/5 points for player 1". Could also add some structures like you suggested, yeah :P 

As for your second idea, there's no direct way to detect how much power a player has but I think It can be done easily with some MapFlags (booleans). Might try that next, thanks.

9 hours ago, anonyme0273 said:

Tower Defense! A preset path for units to walk through and spots to build certain towers on (Defense Towers, Cannon Towers, that anti-air building noone uses and more). 

Since you want a challenge, you can try making these turrets upgradeable. Also set Power gaining from enemy corpses, rather than wells, a wave advance button that instantly calls the next wave, scaling enemy strenght and score. Good luck :P 

Or a quiz - trivia, for example - a question is asked, and a player has to activate module A, B or C to mark their answer. The player with most correct answers wins, or the punishment for a wrong answer it a wave of enemies towards that player. Whoever survives longer, wins (so not just knowledge is of matter, but also ability to play gives you a chance to stay ingame)

'Spots to build certain towers on'. You mean like fixed places where players can build towers and that everyone would have the same tower 'pool' ? And for making towers upgradable, I still have to look at operators a bit more to see if that's possible in a decent way. Thanks for the suggestion.

4 hours ago, Phoenix313 said:

What about a runnling remake:

I watched part of the video but didn't really understand it, mind explaining it briefly :P ?

8 hours ago, Defqon said:

What about a pacman Minigame? xD I got this doctorred out:

So you make a map (maze like, like pacman)
and start in the middle , you for example are an melee unit (max 3 orbs)
and the ghosts are for example brannocs with 10k hp & more that wander around and will try to kill you 

Use amii switches as the candy like things to make the brannocs eatable (change them for example to northguards) so that they are killed fastly
& after a certain time, they switch back to the brannocs

And when all ghosts (brannocs) are dead, you win the game :D

Hmm, not sure if it's doable. The hardest part is the player movement (always make the player move and do not allow to walk backwards) and the unit AI to follow you. This one will require some thinking on my part, thanks for the suggestion :P 

6 hours ago, Asraiel said:

Well for PvP Minigames woulkd be fun to have diffrent modes like:

- No Vaults each player starts with a set amount of energy and cant get more

- Tier restrictions

- Tier 4 battles with each base has 4 monuments but between both is an NPC Enemybase (if this gets destroyed by en event or you need to fight thru is still open)

- A mode with a dice to roll energy, units, buildings, spells

- tournament mode where players get a amount of bosterpacks and only with them have to play (winner can keep the cards)

Nice suggestions, although most I these (besides the 4th one and 3rd) are just a matter of changing a few settings in the map editor for that specific map :P The 4th one could be interesting to make however, will take it into consideration, thanks.

So many suggestions, thanks everyone! :hype:

10 minutes ago, Ladadoos said:

Alright :P 

Well, as far as I know there is no way of doing either one of these. 3 sounds impossible because there is no way to save things and load them on a new map. How did they do it ? As for 4, whenever one player transforms, you can just see who it is by their color on the minimap. Also can't think of a way at the moment to change the player team and also to give his placed structures/units to the rest or to keep them alive if he switches :/ Interesting suggestions though nonetheless!

And stumbled over my first problem^^, the rough layout for the map is more or less done (was easier then expected) but nopw i wanted to start scripting all the special conditions... sadly I can't find any list for the normaly used commands. One of the youtube tutorials had two links for these lists but it was on the old battleforge forum and these links seem to be death. Is there anywhere else where I can look them up?

For the saving:

WC3 did not support the function either but the solution the community came up with was as easy, genious and complicated as it could be^^. Whenever you wanted to save your characte ryou typed "-save" into the chat, the game then displayed a code with something around 30-50 letters (depending on the map) this code would contain every single bit of information for your character and was practically your savefile.

In the next game you then typped "-load XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-........-XXXX" into the chat and your old charackter with all the choosen skills, level, items and even quests would be newly generated or simply"loaded" from your save file^^

1 minute ago, Tam Hawkins said:

And stumbled over my first problem^^, the rough layout for the map is more or less done (was easier then expected) but nopw i wanted to start scripting all the special conditions... sadly I can't find any list for the normaly used commands. One of the youtube tutorials had two links for these lists but it was on the old battleforge forum and these links seem to be death. Is there anywhere else where I can look them up?

For the saving:

WC3 did not support the function either but the solution the community came up with was as easy, genious and complicated as it could be^^. Whenever you wanted to save your characte ryou typed "-save" into the chat, the game then displayed a code with something around 30-50 letters (depending on the map) this code would contain every single bit of information for your character and was practically your savefile.

In the next game you then typped "-load XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-........-XXXX" into the chat and your old charackter with all the choosen skills, level, items and even quests would be newly generated or simply"loaded" from your save file^^

Besides what's shown on the BF wikia, there is nothing else I know about besides some commands I found myself (which aren't listed there).

http://battleforge.wikia.com/wiki/Script_Information_-_Full_Reference Should help you quite a lot however. Along with http://battleforge.wikia.com/wiki/Actions

Hmmm, that way of saving could actually work now that you say it, although I don't think BF can do anything with text written by players in chat :P But technically speaking you could just cheat a character if you knew what meant what, couldn't you ?

6 minutes ago, Ladadoos said:

Besides what's shown on the BF wikia, there is nothing else I know about besides some commands I found myself (which aren't listed there).

http://battleforge.wikia.com/wiki/Script_Information_-_Full_Reference Should help you quite a lot however. Along with http://battleforge.wikia.com/wiki/Actions

Hmmm, that way of saving could actually work now that you say it, although I don't think BF can do anything with text written by players in chat :P But technically speaking you could just cheat a character if you knew what meant what, couldn't you ?

Oh god... I was on the side you just gave me and couldn't really use any of that.... but now after clicking onto your link i saw that these are just topics that I have to expand first....

thanks yeah that will help i think^^.

Dunno if it would work in battleforge, but yeah you could easily cheat in those games if you wanted to... on the other hand, how often did i lose the code for my hero i've worked so many hours on....

well it is the best solution we had with our limited possibilities^^ (which were still pretty good posibilities)

5 minutes ago, Tam Hawkins said:

Dunno if it would work in battleforge, but yeah you could easily cheat in those games if you wanted to... on the other hand, how often did i lose the code for my hero i've worked so many hours on....

well it is the best solution we had with our limited possibilities^^ (which were still pretty good posibilities)

Yeah, maybe there's some way, will have to think about it :P The loading thing sounds possible, but will have to figure out if there's a decent-ish way to input your hero values.

9 minutes ago, Ladadoos said:

Yeah, maybe there's some way, will have to think about it :P The loading thing sounds possible, but will have to figure out if there's a decent-ish way to input your hero values.

Labadoos,

I will apologize beforehand but i think next weekend I will come either into this thread or make a new thread with so so soooo many questions...

but for now i will have to immerse myself into possibilities and roundabout solutions.

6 minutes ago, Tam Hawkins said:

Labadoos,

I will apologize beforehand but i think next weekend I will come either into this thread or make a new thread with so so soooo many questions...

What do you exactly mean ? Feel free to ask them in PM if you want to

1 hour ago, Ladadoos said:

ble. The hardest part is the player movement (always make the player move and do not allow to walk backwards) and the unit AI to follow you. This one will require some thinking on my part, thanks for the suggestion :P 

Well, you can make a waypoint system, that there are 3 places or so that he must reach in time, that prevents him from going to other directions & from going backwards

14 minutes ago, Ladadoos said:

What do you exactly mean ? Feel free to ask them in PM if you want to

nothing for now,

what i mean is that i will think about different ways to make possible what I'm thinking about and while reading through the possible script commands i will see which of them is possible and which is not possible and then i will probably start asking myself questions and try things out and then at the end of it i will come to the forum with all the left over questions that I just cannot answer myself^^

7 minutes ago, Tam Hawkins said:

nothing for now,

what i mean is that i will think about different ways to make possible what I'm thinking about and while reading through the possible script commands i will see which of them is possible and which is not possible and then i will probably start asking myself questions and try things out and then at the end of it i will come to the forum with all the left over questions that I just cannot answer myself^^

Alright, although I think it'll be difficult for you to script since you have no way to know whether it works or not. But I guess you can give this a try :P 

27 minutes ago, Ladadoos said:

Alright, although I think it'll be difficult for you to script since you have no way to know whether it works or not. But I guess you can give this a try :P 

yeah that is my main problem.

But I assumed the moment I think it could work, I would make a post on the forum and beg people to test out my abomination and tell me after how many seconds the game crashes^^