Welcome to Skylords Reborn

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• InsaneHawk

Donations are back   01/17/17

If you want more information, you can go check this topic : http://forum.skylords.eu/index.php?/topic/2790-donations-are-back/
    • MrXLink

Future of Skylords Reborn and intro to Ardent Peak   02/10/17

Dear Skylords, Skyladies, Skythings We have received the awesome news that we have been allowed by EA themselves to continue our project and open up many future possibilities! For all information and stream VODs, please refer to this topic:   
Tam Hawkins

Client Download

43 posts in this topic

Now before I start my actuall Post just one thing:

This is not a "When is it coming out" post, neither is it some kind of plea to get me into beta or something like that.

Actuall post:

I'm living at my Universities Dormitorities and we have a limit on how much we can download here.

Because of that I have some trouble when it comes to downloading games, often i have to spent days on downloading one single game and can't do anything else while doing that.

Of course when I aquire a new game i would like to play it as soon as I can, so my question would be if it is actually possible to already download the new game client (even though I will not be able to use it) right now, or at least some time before the public servers go up, as that would be a massive help for me (and i assume some other people).

Thanks you guys for all your hard work and have a nice Day,

Tam Hawkins

Find someone who is living close to you and let him send you an USB stick when it's out^^

2 minutes ago, Bkingn said:

wow boy then i would say the same and i can download it too and ofc im lying...

What point would lying about this have? Ofc if one person would get access to download the client early, everyone would.
I mean, I can see his point, he can't always download, so he wants to download the client now, simply so he can play on release and doesn't have to wait until a point in time where he can download the client after the release.

i do not agree with you sorry. What if he just want to get early acces via this action yeah he will have the client early then he will say oh guys i cant play video games for the next 5 years can i have an accoun too? lolz i think theres is no such favoritism.. 

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, Shotty said:

... he can't always download, so he wants to download the client now...

not necessarily right now but at least some time before servers go public.

16 minutes ago, Bkingn said:

i do not agree with you sorry. What if he just want to get early acces via this action yeah he will have the client early then he will say oh guys i cant play video games for the next 5 years can i have an accoun too? lolz i think theres is no such favoritism.. 

Why would having the client on my pc grant me the ability to get an account and/or acces the game as well?

As far as I know having download for the client avaiable itself achieves absolutely nothing besides me having the freedom to decide for my self when i want to download the client. Also I'm not asking for me alone to get the download, but if it is possible to give everyone this choice to download it, even though none of us can use it (read the last line carefully...).

And do you really believe the Development team would be that easy to trick into letting people on the servers? Because if they were evry single one here would already be there...

@bobfrog  Yeah, that might be my only option if it is not avaible beforehand.

And for everyone to clarify: I said now OR before the public servers go online. So even 3-5 Days before the public servers go online might be enough for me and if that will be the case then that is pretty much what i'm asking for.

Edited by Tam Hawkins

I can see where you're coming from and yeah, it would be cool if we could Download it a little early so it'l ready to play when it launches (like how you can predownload games from the eShop on nintendo consoles pre launch, they'll just be locked) I just don't know if the devs can do it, but if they can I do like this idea to help people like you out.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, EonBen said:

I can see where you're coming from and yeah, it would be cool if we could Download it a little early so it'l ready to play when it launches (like how you can predownload games from the eShop on nintendo consoles pre launch, they'll just be locked) I just don't know if the devs can do it, but if they can I do like this idea to help people like you out.

They could just not give you an account :P atleast I think that blocks all access.

Edited by veryhasted

Well letting you download the client files before would have been no biggie, but the fact that they have to change many things in the files now in light of the new informations might make that a little tricky. It might not even be ready at all arlier than release.

8 minutes ago, Ultrakool said:

Well letting you download the client files before would have been no biggie, but the fact that they have to change many things in the files now in light of the new informations might make that a little tricky. It might not even be ready at all arlier than release.

I agree that downloading any time soon would be fruitless with so many changes being made but i think for Tam and probably some other people it would be useful to download a week or 2 before hand or even longer as you will have the bulk of the information and then you just need to do the final download as you do with all games now look at COD on the XBONE for instance. You do the 20GB download a month before then on the day of release you have a 4 GB download with the final files.

19 minutes ago, Ultrakool said:

I assumed something like that might be a problem, but in that case even one day before release would help.

I don't see why we couldn't have a pre-loading period, that is once we have a proper installer and don't have to fiddle around until it works. After all, if you just have the client, you can't play. you still need an account...

10 hours ago, Bkingn said:

I don't think you understand. Having a client does nothing. If you look hard enough, you can probably find the old BattleForge client online.

I do think there might be one problem with releasing the client a few days early--people might think the game is out, and then be upset because they can't play/create an account.

14 minutes ago, Eirias said:

I don't think you understand. Having a client does nothing. If you look hard enough, you can probably find the old BattleForge client online.

I do think there might be one problem with releasing the client a few days early--people might think the game is out, and then be upset because they can't play/create an account.

even worse, is that they are going to be trying to login with their accounts. We all know if this is going to happen the staff is going to be annoyed by the amount of more people asking how to get an account, or why theirs is not working.

I mean, I wouldn't see why it would be a bad idea to pre-load the game (aka download the client) a bit before we release it. We'd keep the servers closed until release or at least inaccessible though, and as long as we announce that is the case until game release. Seems like a decent idea.

The only bad things I could image of are:

1. If you make it possible to download the client to early, people have to update / redownload if you make changes meanwhile.

2. People will start to hype and expect a the open beta in a few days after the availability of the download.

3. Maybe to much people trying to log in at the same time will kill the server.

For myself I have no problem either way, with an pre-download or without one, because I have a good 200Mbit connection, except when the download server will get killed because of to much people downloading at the open beta. In the last case a pre-download would be reasonable even for those with good connections.

Pre-download has nothing to do with pre-access. I think it wouldnt be a big deal to announce a release date (when its known obviously) and make the files accessable like 3 days before.

Would be a nice move since one of my friends has only a limited data Volume, would appreciate that.

19 hours ago, DawsonTheFish said:

even worse, is that they are going to be trying to login with their accounts. We all know if this is going to happen the staff is going to be annoyed by the amount of more people asking how to get an account, or why theirs is not working.

They can just put a message in one side of the launcher explaining that the game is not open yet, that just the launcher has been released previously to save time.

Posted (edited)

I only read the opening post and I'm just gonna throw this out here, if you study in Leuven (Belgium), you can download it at my place when it comes out :)

Edited by Dodotron

To eliminate most of the problems listed in this topic, client should be ready to download once the release date is set, so people won't keep asking why they cannot access game.

4 hours ago, Dodotron said:

I only read the opening post and I'm just gonna throw this out here, if you study in Leuven (Belgium), you can download it at my place when it comes out :)

thanks for the offer,

but I'm in regensburg which would mean a 10 hour train ride so that does seem a bit far^^

Depending on when it goes live i might be able to download it on the university or at a friends house, but that depends on them beeing avaiable then.

Haha yeah a ten hour ride sounds a bit much :P but i hope you'll find someplace to download :)

On 4.3.2017 at 0:19 AM, Tam Hawkins said:

thanks for the offer,

but I'm in regensburg which would mean a 10 hour train ride so that does seem a bit far^^

Depending on when it goes live i might be able to download it on the university or at a friends house, but that depends on them beeing avaiable then.

oh, well ^^ i live in regensburg too, so would rly be no problem for me if you want to download it at my place :)

suprise to see you here :)