Welcome to Skylords Reborn

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• InsaneHawk

We now have a Patreon !   10/16/17

Donations are back, but they're now all on Patreon ! Feel free to check it out : https://goo.gl/TwmHYW
Kiwi

Unofficial New Faction/Cards Idea

24 posts in this topic

Hello Skylords, Skyladies and Skythings!

I have been working a long time on making a new unofficial Faction for BattleForge called Shape Shifters.

Shapeshifter History

The Shape Shifters where created by ancient dwarves to help them defeat the elves and humans many years ago. Sadly it all back fired and the Shape Shifters killed all the elves, humans and dwarves. They named the Amii faction as their protectors and went into slumber for thousands of years. When the timing was right the Amii where informed to awaken them.

Elements

Frost and fire. Combining the attack power of Fire with the defensive skills of Frost.

Story (WIP)

I am currently working on a story-line for this faction.

Card Designs

All the card ideas, perks and abilities where thought of by myself. Cards where created by @MrXLink (thanks a lot!) Note: All cards are shown as fully upgraded and the images are from google and not owned or created by us.

Units

Tier/Orb Two

Berserker Bear:

58a2274c1651b_BerserkerBear.png.21724624aaa3d268e734e353202cca00.png

Perk/Perks: Good against buildings.

Special damage: Siege.

Passive abilities: Charge. (Faster movement, knocks back small units and deals damage upon impact) Siege. (50% more damage against buildings).

Upgrades: U1: Lifepoints +50 U2: Lifepoints +70 U3: Lifepoints +75.

Wolf Shifters:

58a228ea7f58c_WolfShifters.png.5365225f98cfc68987130fb3231af96b.png

Perk/Perks: Swift and agile.

Bonus damage: More damage to small units.

Passive abilities: Swift. (Faster movement) Stomp. (Tramples small units).

Upgrades: U1: Damage +20 U2: Damage +30 U3: Damage +40.

Nagual:

Nagual.png.416fe566b4b3d937ccbb47f79630854e.png

Perk/Perks: Swift and can transform into a jaguar to do more damage.

Passive abilities: Swift. (Faster movement) Small chance (20%) of stunning medium units.

Active abilities: Jaguar form lasts for 20 seconds and enables Swift. (Lasts longer as upgraded max is 30 seconds the Nagual does 15% more damage during this ability, when fully upgraded).

Upgrades: U1: Jaguar form lasts for 25s U2: Jaguar form lasts for 30s U3: +5% More damage in Jaguar form against enemies.

Tier/Orb Three

Dragon Knight & Dragon Knight Promo:

58a22d627200c_DragonKnight.png.82a8767dc8cae3fd9dbdf02630cab335.png58a22d99dcec9_DragonKnightPromo.png.e93bfbe5a23ca72e5d4dd1e5e94ac1a1.png

Perk/Perks: Can fly, agile and rage mode (does more damage over time).

Bonus damage: Rage.

Passive abilities: Rage. (Lasts 10 seconds see description of Fire Dragon for full details).

Autocast: Frostfire Breath (Every 3 seconds, the unit exhales a frost, yet fiery breath that deals 158 damage to units around its target in a 5m cone-shaped area, up to 630 in total).

Upgrades: U1: Rage lasts for 12s U2: Rage lasts for 15s U3 Rage lasts for 20s.

Tier/Orb Four

Wendigo:

Wendigo.png.0b8bfef9d021da59b22651d44839012d.png

Perks/Perks: Strong and swift.

Passive abilities: Swift. (Faster movement) Knockback on S and M units.

Upgrades: U1: Lifepoints +100 U2: Lifepoints +150 U3: Lifepoints +200

Spells

Tier/Orb Two

Cold Explosion:

58a23039164ea_ColdExplosion.png.bf12ef06ff7fa57d296e687c36ff0618.png

Releases a powerful explosion infused with shards of ice. Deals 250 damage to each entity within a 15m radius, knocking back small and medium units and freezing up to 5 units (7 when fully upgraded) for 10 seconds. Reusable every 20 seconds.

Upgrades: U1: +1 Frozen target U2: +1 Frozen target U3: -10 Power cost.

Swiftness:

Swiftness.png.f4ec60e1793c200d76976efd94c9ce87.png

Bestows up to 5 units (6 when fully upgraded) within the target 25m radius with the gift of swiftness: Affected units will move 10% (20% when fully upgraded) faster than usual. Additionally, the construction of buildings within the area is sped up by 10% (20% when fully upgraded) as well. Lasts for 10 seconds. Reusable every 30 seconds.

Upgrades: U1: +5% speed boost U2: +1 Target U3: +5% speed boost.

Tier/Orb Three

Card Shift:

58a232a81a8b3_CardShift.png.84506db7ba621e62831dfaec660d4431.png

Allows you use a random usable card (T3 Max) from your enemies deck. Reusable every 50 seconds.

Upgrades: U1: -10 Power cost U2: -10 Power cost U3: -10 Power cost.

Reconstruct Building:

58a232dde82ad_ReconstructBuilding.png.c1761c4a360b4998ef5d4c9dcd28479f.png

Allows you to move any building to any location with ground presence. Takes 20 seconds to transport the building. Both new and old sites can still be attacked while moving. Reusable every 40 seconds.

Upgrades: U1: -10 Power cost U2: -10 Power cost U3: Building Duration -5s.

Tier/Orb Four

Vanishing Act:

58a237e58c22c_VanishingAct.png.602ca8c4141df8b629397c88ac6da978.png

Cloaks every building in a 25m radius, with the exception of monuments and wells, in a mystic fog. These structures cannot be seen or attacked by enemies, and can still attack or use their abilities. Lasts for 10s (20s when fully upgraded). Reusable every 30 seconds.

Upgrades: U1: Invisible for 15s U2: Invisible for 20s U3: -10 Power cost.

Buildings

Tier/Orb Two

Shard Tower:

58a23891e636d_ShardTower.png.2cd9241fec87f3e7829fb6de255e98fa.png

Once every 3 seconds, a small geyser spits out shards of frozen magma, dealing 165 damage to enemies around its target, up to 600 in total. Knocks back Small units.

Upgrades: U1: Lifepoints +50 U2: Lifepoints +70 U3: Lifepoints +100.

Hivemind:

Hivemind.png.5299ac97fe4a8d50a57f50448048ef36.png

Allows player to spawn cards within a 25m radius, at a 20% higher power cost but doesn't consume charges. If used with breeding grounds it takes a charge and costs a higher price.

Upgrades: U1: Spawning units penalty -5% U2: Lifepoints +50 U3: Spawning units penalty -5%.

Tier/Orb Three

Taunting Trap:

58a23abcec0ff_TauntTrap.png.a61c2ca9afa30a48f91a9d43c35975c0.png

Taunts enemies in a 10m radius, when the mine reaches half health it can be manually detonated by the player and deals 200% (300% when fully upgraded) of the remaining life as damage in a radius of 10m however, if it is not detonated in time the mine will just blow up dealing no damage. Taunt lasts for 2s. (3s if fully upgraded)

Upgrades: U1: +0.5s Taunt duration U2: +0.5s Taunt duration U3: +100% of remaining lifepoints dealt as damage.

Tier/Orb Four

Starfire Launcher:

58a23c71315cc_StarfireLauncher.png.5ef573cb8511c5a2c597813c1be9cdbf.png

Meteoric strike launches a frozen ball of fire at enemies within a radius of 25m, knocking back all unit types and at the same time shielding 4 nearby allies (6 allies when fully upgraded) has an exceptionally long range of 200m.

Passive ability: Blizzard Aura slows enemies within a 20m radius.

Upgrades: U1: +1 Shielded unit U2: +200 attack U3: +1 shielded unit and +300 attack.

Hope you like the work both me and @MrXLink have put into these cards, feel free to leave your suggestions below. If you can think of any other cards that may go with this theme feel free to post them below as well.

Many thanks,

Kiwi & @MrXLink

NOTE: Please do not claim to have created these cards or state that these are official cards in the game doing so may lead to you being reprimanded.

I like it a lot! But I kinda feel that the common skill is missing, like all bandits all have lifesteal, all twillight can transform, etc...

Also, the units seem a little bit OP, but balancing and such will fix that for sure. You might wanna add some units that are just soldiers, though, without extra abilities as siege/rage/charge.

The first spell (cold explosion) gave me a really cool gameplay idea: what about making it a cold implosion. It would deal damage (same as explosion), but would suck enemies into the middle of the area of effect. This could be nice to combo with other aoe spells (for example in 2v2).

I also wonder why you guys chose for the shapeshifter-idea instead of the whole steam/mechanical/robot-idea that a lot of people had with fire/frost. I like the shapeshift idea more though, but just wondering..

Nice work though! I really hope you guys will implement extra cards like this, that would be awesome!

Edit: would the nagual unit be ranged, but change into melee when transformed into jaguar? Also, do the ranged archer units have swift? Thats unusual, but innovative 

Edited by SilenceKiller99

34 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

[...]

Releases a powerful explosion infused with shards of ice. Deals 250 damage to each entity within a 15m radius, knocking back small and medium units and freezing up to 5 units (7 when fully upgraded) for 10 seconds. Reusable every 20 seconds.

[...]

Oh man do I like the sound of that card. I'd honestly give it a go in PvP if this were a thing, seeing as the play-style would most likely be similar to fire/nature, only with stronger defensive capabilities. Really nice choice of art for all the cards, I really like them overall. Have you thought of adding some small units into the mix? 

29 minutes ago, Dexirian said:

Oh man do I like the sound of that card. I'd honestly give it a go in PvP if this were a thing, seeing as the play-style would most likely be similar to fire/nature, only with stronger defensive capabilities. Really nice choice of art for all the cards, I really like them overall. Have you thought of adding some small units into the mix? 

I believe Nagual is a small unit :P I could possible add more if I can think of some more ideas ;)

41 minutes ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

I like it a lot! But I kinda feel that the common skill is missing, like all bandits all have lifesteal, all twillight can transform, etc...

Also, the units seem a little bit OP, but balancing and such will fix that for sure. You might wanna add some units that are just soldiers, though, without extra abilities as siege/rage/charge.

The first spell (cold explosion) gave me a really cool gameplay idea: what about making it a cold implosion. It would deal damage (same as explosion), but would suck enemies into the middle of the area of effect. This could be nice to combo with other aoe spells (for example in 2v2).

I also wonder why you guys chose for the shapeshifter-idea instead of the whole steam/mechanical/robot-idea that a lot of people had with fire/frost. I like the shapeshift idea more though, but just wondering..

Nice work though! I really hope you guys will implement extra cards like this, that would be awesome!

Edit: would the nagual unit be ranged, but change into melee when transformed into jaguar? Also, do the ranged archer units have swift? Thats unusual, but innovative 

Yeah I couldn't really think of a trait to give them currently, still thinking now to be honest :P we tried to do some form of balancing but yeah we can work on that as well at some point. I came up with the idea from the Wendigo folk tale mainly, as they are believed to transform into different things or so they say, so I took it from that really :P, plus most games have robots etc so this is a lot different. It would change to melee yes when in Jaguar form, they only gain swift in Jaguar form.

First of all, I really like your idea of the fire/frost cards.

Of course they need to be balanced correctly, so they will not be overpowered, but I'm sure that is possible.

I have my doubts about this card though:

1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

Hivemind:

Hivemind.png.5299ac97fe4a8d50a57f50448048ef36.png

Allows player to spawn cards within a 25m radius, at a 20% higher power cost but doesn't consume charges. If used with breeding grounds it takes a charge and costs a higher price.

Upgrades: U1: Spawning units penalty -5% U2: Lifepoints +50 U3: Spawning units penalty -5%.

If I understand it correctly, this cards main reason to play is to save charges and you have to build this building to do so, while also paying 20% more power (10% if fully upgraded).
This is a fair trade in my opinion. I dont really understand your idea with Breeding Grounds though: Normally a combo with breeding grounds should be possible and be at least of some use (for balancing reasons the use can be reduced when using both buildings together). How I understand it in your proposal though is that the use of breeding grounds would effectively cancel out all benefits and give you only negative effects, as you still have to pay more for the spawning due to Hivemind, but consume charges due to breeding grounds. Do I understand that correctly or did I just mess up big time and make a fool of myself? :D

Be carefull with the balance, fire/frost is a faction, slow in early t2 (pvp), same of this cards my change it. Becaming a too agressive faction, with strong defence, will make it too powerfull :). But really nice idea, it would improve the gameplay, the more cards, the more stratagies.

9 hours ago, Kiwi said:

58a2274c1651b_BerserkerBear.png.21724624aaa3d268e734e353202cca00.png

Is that from the Golden Compass? :rolleyes:

Edited by veryhasted

The art is great, love the Dragonrider. But what would you expect when Mr. X is doing them ;)

As someone already messioned, I think the fire frost should be balanced a little better, Fire has always been aggressive bad in defense units, where as frost is the opposite slow but strong defense.

If you combine both you have the best units in the game, maybe there is some penalty? Some of the units can turn too hot since they are of 50% fire, and then what enrage? Melt?

Maybe the Ice/Fire faction should be strong in t3 and weak in t2? because thats a switch up. But then again, Ice and Fire have two pretty strong flying units t2 so I would expect thoose to have spots in a fire/ice deck, and out conquer the new cards. All I am trying to say is, that Ice are strong defensively Fire are strong offensively, combine thoose and you have a way too good faction if they dont have a penalty, higher power cost?

Just need to consider the balancing act. None of the less these cards are super great, i wish you do more.

I love this card its like a bit magic the gathering and a new way to play pvp  :)

maybe you can use this card also from teammates deck??

Edited by MeisterRihno

11 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Affected units will move 10% (20% when fully upgraded) faster than usual.

Battleship and Construct combo :frostorb::frostorb: 

10 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Yeah I couldn't really think of a trait to give them currently, still thinking now to be honest :P we tried to do some form of balancing but yeah we can work on that as well at some point. 

1 hour ago, PlainVenom said:

As someone already messioned, I think the fire frost should be balanced a little better, Fire has always been aggressive bad in defense units, where as frost is the opposite slow but strong defense.

If you combine both you have the best units in the game, maybe there is some penalty? Some of the units can turn too hot since they are of 50% fire, and then what enrage? Melt?

@Kiwi @MrXLink

- These look like three puzzle parts that perfectly fit. Make the cards a little stronger than usual cards, but give fire/frost a negative trait. Something like being in battle for X amount of time slows the unit or weakens it. Or the other way around, make them slightly weaker than other units, but let them all have the rage ability.

- Another idea for the overal trait could be to give them two modes, a fire offensive mode, and a frost defensive mode. For instance in offensive mode they enable abilities like rage/charge/siege/swift/etc. and in defensive mode they lose all those abilities but gain a shield. A different approach on the offense and defense modes would be to give them rather low stats, but double (or triple...) their attack in offensive mode and their health in defensive mode.

- My last idea might fit the best, give them all a reflect trait. They will take for instance 5% less damage (less than Admant skin for stonekin), but will reflect that damage back to the attacker. This has a defensive frost trait, for taking less damage, and a offensive trait for returning it.

I hope I inspired you

9 hours ago, Mormegil said:

First of all, I really like your idea of the fire/frost cards.

Of course they need to be balanced correctly, so they will not be overpowered, but I'm sure that is possible.

I have my doubts about this card though:

If I understand it correctly, this cards main reason to play is to save charges and you have to build this building to do so, while also paying 20% more power (10% if fully upgraded).
This is a fair trade in my opinion. I dont really understand your idea with Breeding Grounds though: Normally a combo with breeding grounds should be possible and be at least of some use (for balancing reasons the use can be reduced when using both buildings together). How I understand it in your proposal though is that the use of breeding grounds would effectively cancel out all benefits and give you only negative effects, as you still have to pay more for the spawning due to Hivemind, but consume charges due to breeding grounds. Do I understand that correctly or did I just mess up big time and make a fool of myself? :D

We want to penalize people for using breeding grounds with this card, so it doesn't stack with breeding grounds basically.

7 hours ago, oldblood said:

Be carefull with the balance, fire/frost is a faction, slow in early t2 (pvp), same of this cards my change it. Becaming a too agressive faction, with strong defence, will make it too powerfull :). But really nice idea, it would improve the gameplay, the more cards, the more stratagies.

We decided to go for not too high attack and not too high defense either, our idea wasn't for it to be perfectly balanced.

2 hours ago, veryhasted said:

Is that from the Golden Compass? :rolleyes:

Yes it is Iorek from the Golden Compass. :P

1 hour ago, PlainVenom said:

The art is great, love the Dragonrider. But what would you expect when Mr. X is doing them ;)

Maybe the Ice/Fire faction should be strong in t3 and weak in t2? because thats a switch up. But then again, Ice and Fire have two pretty strong flying units t2 so I would expect thoose to have spots in a fire/ice deck, and out conquer the new cards. All I am trying to say is, that Ice are strong defensively Fire are strong offensively, combine thoose and you have a way too good faction if they dont have a penalty, higher power cost?

Just need to consider the balancing act. None of the less these cards are super great, i wish you do more.

We didn't balance the cards thoroughly. Although we did try to make use of fire's aggression and frost's sturdiness/CC within the cards themselves. If you look at the Dragon Knight for example, that card doesn't do much for damage until it attacks for a prolonged amount of time, Wendigo's aren't super strong either, but are a cheap and aggressive way to spawn XL units.

1 hour ago, MeisterRihno said:

I love this card its like a bit magic the gathering and a new way to play pvp  :)

maybe you can use this card also from teammates deck??

This could be a fun idea actually, as in PvP you end at T3 usually and it can also be useful in PvE games as well.

3 minutes ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

@Kiwi @MrXLink

- These look like three puzzle parts that perfectly fit. Make the cards a little stronger than usual cards, but give fire/frost a negative trait. Something like being in battle for X amount of time slows the unit or weakens it. Or the other way around, make them slightly weaker than other units, but let them all have the rage ability.

- Another idea for the overal trait could be to give them two modes, a fire offensive mode, and a frost defensive mode. For instance in offensive mode they enable abilities like rage/charge/siege/swift/etc. and in defensive mode they lose all those abilities but gain a shield. A different approach on the offense and defense modes would be to give them rather low stats, but double (or triple...) their attack in offensive mode and their health in defensive mode.

- My last idea might fit the best, give them all a reflect trait. They will take for instance 5% less damage (less than Admant skin for stonekin), but will reflect that damage back to the attacker. This has a defensive frost trait, for taking less damage, and a offensive trait for returning it.

I hope I inspired you

The Amii faction already switch between two modes like you have mentioned although only from melee to ranged and not offensive and defensive. The reflecting damage trait is actually pretty cool though. :D

Frost and Fire idea is really cool, however, shouldn't we focus on Amii first? There was only one unit for green/shadow and this combination really should be expanded.

14 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Cold Explosion:

Upgrades: U1: +1 Frozen target U2: +1 Frozen target U3: -10 Power cost.

I went a little more in depth because I really like the idea of this card, even though it will be interesting to balance it, as it has so much attributes (damage, knock back, freeze, and rather low power cost):

Eruption (U0) deals 250 damage, for 80 power, and does small knock back. Cold Explosion (U0) deals 250 damage, for 70 power, and does s and m knock back and freezes 5 units for 10 sec.

Eruption (U3) does 300 damage, for 75 power, still only s knock back. Cold Explosion (U3) still deals 250 damage, but for 60 power, and does s and m knockback and freezes 7 units for 10 sec.

So compared to Eruption it seems a little OP. Almost every fire/frost player would starts fire, so already has Eruption. This would kinda make both Eruption and Coldsnap redundant, I think.

Compared to Coldsnap (U3 = freeze 7 targets for 15 sec, for 75 power) it is even more OP, as it deals additional damage, and it will most likely be instant instead of the 'dodge-able' Coldsnap.

Compared to Lavafield (U3 = deal 440 damage with s and m knock back, for 120 power) it seams rather OP too.

I think it is supposed to be better than eruption, coldsnap and lavafield. Neither of those spells require both frost and fire. You can use coldsnap in Frost/Shadow same goes for lavafield. Spell that forces you into certain orb combination should be stronger than spell that doesn't do that.

These are really cool concepts, I like how they would work with existing cards in the game.

I only have one small suggestion. All of the existing promo units in the game have really shiny glowing lines all over their models and art, but the T3 promo you have there doesn't. Shiny glowing lines = promo more valuable. :)

Overall, 10/10 for creating hype!

On 14-2-2017 at 0:18 AM, Kiwi said:

Hello Skylords, Skyladies and Skythings!

I have been working a long time on making a new unofficial Faction for BattleForge called Shape Shifters.

Shapeshifter History

The Shape Shifters where created by ancient dwarves to help them defeat the elves and humans many years ago. Sadly it all back fired and the Shape Shifters killed all the elves, humans and dwarves. They named the Amii faction as their protectors and went into slumber for thousands of years. When the timing was right the Amii where informed to awaken them.

If you would make that story, I would make the amii deck first so that the amii story climax can be that they will awaken the shapeshifters to aid them
Otherwise, the idea & deck seems awesome and would sure be a go-for

Edited by Defqon

@Defqon I would love to but I am not even on the design team, plus we aren't adding new stuff, not yet at least maybe in the future. ;)