Wish to contribute to the project by donating? Heads up to our Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

Jump to content
BEWARE: Multiaccounting Will Cause Permabans! Read more... ×
MrXLink

Future of Skylords Reborn and intro to Ardent Peak

Recommended Posts

Congrats, great news!

I would like to suggest to go on steam greelight too, to involve more people in this project!

I'm a bit worried about the "making money part", since a lot of nice projects become trash just because the team want to make money (well, i mean, every company wants to make money).

I'm willing to pay to play this game but i think that buyng booster pack or cards or any in-game stuff will just make it p2p/p2w. Glad that devs stated clearly it won't be this case!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nightrein said:

Phenomic was effectively a different group from what you call "EA" as a whole. Remember, Battleforge died because Phenomic TANKED. The group keeping the game running died, and the game went down with them. EA maybe could have picked it up, but at that point it was dead. Playerbase would've been sub-500 people. The game was getting no love because Phenomic was actively bleeding resources for years. Do you really think EA could have resuscitated it?

I get the EA hate, but ffs this is the dumbest place you could froth about it.

Phenomic was a victim of EA's horrible "P4F" business model. EASY was another studio destined to die due to the same reason. All I'm seeing is a publisher buying multiple studios and then letting THEM bleed out after they made mistakes. All of this in times when League of Legends and other very successful F2P titles were already blossoming, effectively statuating a good example of how games can succeed with being TRULY and ENTIRELY (as the name suggests) free to ACTUALLY play.

I agree though. Not the best place to argue about this matter, but it came up regardless.

Edited by Shred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@nightreinReally mate? Phenomic was an EA studio long before the game was released. In fact EA acquired Phenomic just before DEVELOPMENT on BF began. The reason Phenomic "tanked" was due to EA's decisions regarding Phenomic and their game BF. BF success or failure was solely the responsibility of EA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ultrakool said:

@nightreinReally mate? Phenomic was an EA studio long before the game was released. In fact EA acquired Phenomic just before DEVELOPMENT on BF began. The reason Phenomic "tanked" was due to EA's decisions regarding Phenomic and their game BF. BF success or failure was solely the responsibility of EA

Let's put this into perspective. As our friend @Shred above decided to reference, let's look at Riot. They were acquired, in the same vein Phenomic was acquired, by Tencent. Look at Riot's current business model. Did Tencent decide how the ingame microtransactions would work? Are they literally puppeteering all of Riot's decisions? No. Just because Phenomic became a subsidiary of EA does not mean that EA suddenly controlled all their decisions. It means that EA took a cut of their profits in return for them getting the EA brand and use of EA's advertising.

EA isn't that great of a company. They're not even a good company. But come on man, really? They're not freakin' comic book villains buying up games and going "muahaha time to ruin it". They work just like any other corporation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, nightrein said:

Remember, Battleforge died because Phenomic TANKED. The group keeping the game running died, and the game went down with them. EA maybe could have picked it up, but at that point it was dead.

While I can understand that it looked like this from the outside, this is not accurate. The decision to shut off BattleForge was made before the decision to close Phenomic. In fact, the closure of the studio, all processes involved and the moving of the operations of all three Phenomic games to EA EAsy delayed the shutdown of BattleForge by several months.

On the topic: Congratulations for all involved! In the beginning, I gave that development very little chance, but you guys proved me wrong (in a good way ;-))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nightrein said:

Let's put this into perspective. As our friend @Shred above decided to reference, let's look at Riot. They were acquired, in the same vein Phenomic was acquired, by Tencent. Look at Riot's current business model. Did Tencent decide how the ingame microtransactions would work? Are they literally puppeteering all of Riot's decisions? No. Just because Phenomic became a subsidiary of EA does not mean that EA suddenly controlled all their decisions. It means that EA took a cut of their profits in return for them getting the EA brand and use of EA's advertising.

EA isn't that great of a company. They're not even a good company. But come on man, really? They're not freakin' comic book villains buying up games and going "muahaha time to ruin it". They work just like any other corporation.

I disagree. Tencent acquired Riot way after they became successful. Riot already had a working business model that exploded and made them big. Then Tencent gave them a good offer, and they took it. Notice how the game was already big and working when Tencent put their hands on it.

On the other hand, Phenomic was acquired explicitly to make this game for EA. To my knowledge they disagreed with many of the development choices, but they coundn't do anything because EA owned them and they had no word in the matter.

Just look at how Infinity Ward deserted from Activision and eventually joined EA as Respawn. Activision was trying to force them to make things they didn't think was right. But they had the means and the courage to show their middle fingers and gtfo because they were a very successful studio and pretty much anyone on the market would hire them instantly. Back then, Phenomic was not in a situation when they could just casually say no to EA and be on their way, so they had to do as EA told them to. And that inevitably caused their downfall.

Good thing you brought up advertising, because i have seen none of that happening. Only a couple dozen thousand people ever knew this game even existed. No hype, no trailers, nothing. The Battleforge Announcement trailer didn't even manage to get 500k views on youtube until today. I record a video of myself shitting and get more views than that. What advertising do we speak of exactly?

EA is the type of villain who doesn't want to be one, but they make so many mistakes and terrible business decisions, that they make a lot of people mad, and eventually they'll be treated as villains.

Edited by Shred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Amazing news indeed. I will be looking forward to adventures in the Forge once again :)

Massive thanks to the Skylords Reborn team, as well as Ardent Peak!

Edited by beeleeak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheBlackOne said:

On the topic: Congratulations for all involved! In the beginning, I gave that development very little chance, but you guys proved me wrong (in a good way ;-))

Thank you TBO for your message, this really means a lot to us <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nightrein said:

So what of microtransactions? I'm assuming by this statement you are never going to allow the purchasing of packs a la original Battleforge. Do you believe you will be trying to implement any microtransactions now that it's legal for you to do so?

The possibility is there, yes. I would certainly help certain players to accelerate their way into a completed game if they deem that necessary. Again, nothing is sure yet but it is an idea that's being discussed. If we do, however, you can be assured that gaining BFP freely will still be way more accessible and gained at a much, much faster pace than ever before, and likely faster than your average F2P business model.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good news! Looking forward to the release, have been following the project for more than a year and were waiting to finally play this game again. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 We'll stop using "Soon" as a deadline and start running with actual timelines.

 

Can you at least say that in a month we will have a release date for open beta ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Iv4Ps said:

 We'll stop using "Soon" as a deadline and start running with actual timelines.

 

Can you at least say that in a month we will have a release date for open beta ??

 

Watch the stream for more information. They expect to have an open beta or early access open beta release in one or two months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very exciting news, I think you guys have real potential to make Skylords Reborn become quite popular. There is basically no competition on the classic RTS market right now and since you have no ties to EA that means you'll even be able to publish the game on Steam. The most important thing will be for you to design good F2P mechanics for the game.

Anyways, I'm super happy that our game will now most definitely be playable again in the future and I wish you guys much success with it! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ragox said:

 There is basically no competition on the classic RTS market right now and since you have no ties to EA that means you'll even be able to publish the game on Steam.

Wait a second, is this a possibility? Hawk & Link mentioned on their stream yesterday that it's not possible to publish the game on Steam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RadicalX said:

Wait a second, is this a possibility? Hawk & Link mentioned on their stream yesterday that it's not possible to publish the game on Steam.

What would prevent @Ardent Peak from releasing the game on Steam or any other platform?

Steam would be a good platform for the game, given the exceptional Co-Op that existed in the original. There's not really any Co-Op Free2Play games on Steam, it'd be in a league of it's own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RadicalX said:

Wait a second, is this a possibility? Hawk & Link mentioned on their stream yesterday that it's not possible to publish the game on Steam.

 

4 minutes ago, tchiseen said:

What would prevent @Ardent Peak from releasing the game on Steam or any other platform?

Steam would be a good platform for the game, given the exceptional Co-Op that existed in the original. There's not really any Co-Op Free2Play games on Steam, it'd be in a league of it's own.

As we said, our project will NEVER come to steam. We're not the owner of the original game, so we cannot publish it again, our project is a tribute to the old game, and Ardent Peak LLC got the greelight to revive it under the name of "Skylords Reborn".

Please be sure to read the whole thing and not starting false rumors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, InsaneHawk said:

 

As we said, our project will NEVER come to steam. We're not the owner of the original game, so we cannot publish it again, our project is a tribute to the old game, and Ardent Peak LLC got the greelight to revive it under the name of "Skylords Reborn".

Please be sure to read the whole thing and not starting false rumors.

Aww, that's too bad, I was simply assuming this was the case since you said you're allowed to make profits with the game and that EA got nothing to do with it.

How will the game be distributed then?

BTW: The main post says nothing regarding not being able to republish the game, you might want to update it.

Edited by Ragox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ragox said:

Aww, that's too bad, I was simply assuming this was the case since you said you're allowed to make profits with the game and that EA got nothing to do with it.

How will the game be distributed then?

BTW: The main post says nothing regarding not being able to republish the game, you might want to update it.

You'll learn more about that in the near future, and yes, we may add a few modifications, we'll talk about that first. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.