Welcome to Skylords Reborn

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• InsaneHawk

Join our Discord !   05/04/17

We're starting to do Giveaways on our Discord, so be sure to follow it and join it
      Here's the link to access our Discord : https://discordapp.com/invite/0y3WGMGXhd5q2lXA
Kiwi

Clearing up Open Beta plans

88 posts in this topic

Hello Skylords and Skyladies,

It has come to my attention that the whole reason behind the projects plans for Open Beta hasn't been understood correctly. So I thought I would make a details thread post regarding all the information you need to know.

As many of you are aware, Open Beta means that a game is open to every player for a final test of the game and to help check for more bugs and errors that could possibly have been missed in Closed Beta.

Sadly, due to this project being different from usual game developments as we don't actually own any rights to the game itself, we would love to allow everyone to just join Open Beta right away but sadly that can't happen as we have no idea how much the server can handle which is why we have to add people slowly and carefully to monitor and test how much the server can handle and it wouldn't be fair to give all 9000+ members access to Open Beta and then the server just crash and we then have 9000+ members disappointed. Furthermore, if we where to allow every single member of the forums access then without a doubt the same bugs and errors would be reported 100 or more times causing more work for the moderation team to make sure multiple threads of the same reports are deleted.

A long time ago, the project Administrators and Community Manager came up with the plan to allow members to sign up for Open Beta and the names will be picked out at random (possibly with a random picking programme). The people picked will then be added slowly to the Open Beta at a monitored rate, so developers can keep a track of the servers stability as well as making accounts.

Signing up for Open Beta

The signing up for Open Beta will happen before Open Beta happens (some people seem to think Open Beta will start then you can sign up this is not the case)

It is currently not know how you will sign up as it all depends on what will be easiest for Blank and LordNullPointer to manage. When more is known I shall update this.

Who can get access to Open Beta

Everyone stands a chance in getting into Open Beta unless you have sadly made your way onto our blacklist due to severe rule breaking. It is not currently known if YouTubers will get access to Open Beta or not as we would like for it to be fair for everyone. When more is known I shall update this.

Please note if you keep harassing members of staff for access to the game in Closed or Open Beta you will possibly risk getting black listed.

I hope this makes sense and at least gives you a bit of insight into why the project is doing it the way it is. We apologize if any of this upsets or offends anyone but sadly this is the way it has to be and we hope you understand this a little better now. If you have any questions or queries please fee free to ask them below or send me or @MrXLink a PM and we will try our best to answer them as much as we can.

10 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Skylords and Skyladies

and Skythings :P 

12 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

we have to add people slowly and carefully to monitor and test how much the server can handle and it wouldn't be fair to give all 9000+ members access to Open Beta and then the server just crash and we then have 9000+ members disappointed

I think this is the core thought and should be highlighted to stand out. 

12 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

The people picked will then be added slowly to the Open Beta at a monitored rate, so developers can keep a track of the servers stability as well as making accounts.

If someone thinks that's unfair, it is fair. It was also tested before in Tech Alpha and seemed to work well. From my past experience the 'slow rate' really isn't terrible, and even in case you are last in line, just remember that the line is for BattleForge for which we have all waited for over 3 years now :) 

15 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

harassing members of staff for access

= constant PMs, asking in chat, Skype, Discord or any other communication mean, I would say. There is nothing at this moment that will secure you a spot except winning a contest, as far as I know.

16 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

blacklist due to severe rule breaking

A few questions here, because I don't think I have seen it specified anywhere - blacklist is final and there is no escape from there, or can my issue be handled individually because... I dunno 'had a bad day and just was out of my mind when I broke the rules' etc.?

Also, multiaccount prevention - will it be checked for people not to sign in with multiple accounts to increase their chances, which is clearly unfair to people who stick to the rules? It's a lot of work, I am guessing, but keeps the fair management here.

20 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

if any of this upsets or offends anyone but sadly this is the way it has to be and we hope you understand this a little better now

If anyone felt like not understanding, I am sure it is encouraged to ask questions not only privately, but publicly as well, to clear stuff up for more people who may have the same question.

Overall a nice summary and should definitely make things more clear. Good job, and really happy about the progress. Thanks to everyone participating, yet again 

:bf:  <3 

Looking forward. Was really the only game back in the days where I felt confortable in the PvP area. Maybe because I could win one or the other match in contrast to other games :D Keep up the good work.

On 2016-12-23 at 11:18 PM, Kiwi said:

unless you have sadly made your way onto our blacklist due to severe rule breaking.

Guess I won't make it anytime soon :kappaross:

For real tho, thanks for the update 69Bird !!

Edited by veryhasted

On 12/23/2016 at 10:39 PM, anonyme0273 said:

and Skythings :P 

I think this is the core thought and should be highlighted to stand out. 

If someone thinks that's unfair, it is fair. It was also tested before in Tech Alpha and seemed to work well. From my past experience the 'slow rate' really isn't terrible, and even in case you are last in line, just remember that the line is for BattleForge for which we have all waited for over 3 years now :) 

= constant PMs, asking in chat, Skype, Discord or any other communication mean, I would say. There is nothing at this moment that will secure you a spot except winning a contest, as far as I know.

A few questions here, because I don't think I have seen it specified anywhere - blacklist is final and there is no escape from there, or can my issue be handled individually because... I dunno 'had a bad day and just was out of my mind when I broke the rules' etc.?

Also, multiaccount prevention - will it be checked for people not to sign in with multiple accounts to increase their chances, which is clearly unfair to people who stick to the rules? It's a lot of work, I am guessing, but keeps the fair management here.

If anyone felt like not understanding, I am sure it is encouraged to ask questions not only privately, but publicly as well, to clear stuff up for more people who may have the same question.

Overall a nice summary and should definitely make things more clear. Good job, and really happy about the progress. Thanks to everyone participating, yet again 

:bf:  <3 

I have made that text bold now, seemed like a good idea, the whole point in the black list is so staff and developers are aware of people who have constantly gone against rules and therefore have no chance of getting access to the game until proper release. Me and @MrXLink have been keeping a keen eye out on checking for multiple accounts and have been sorting that out behind the scenes don't worry about that. Hope this has answered all your questions Anonyme, sorry it took a while. :)

Please don't call it 'open beta' in that case...it's really deceiving...this is rather a second phase of closed beta. ( Is it open to every member? Nope. Only a select few are given access to the game? Yep. )

8 hours ago, Demiron said:

Please don't call it 'open beta' in that case...it's really deceiving...this is rather a second phase of closed beta. ( Is it open to every member? Nope. Only a select few are given access to the game? Yep. )

I do agree that it's not a common way to do, but if you take it on another side.

1) it's still in beta.

2) it's not restricted to a selected little group such as before, therefore, one can say it's open.

So, well yeah, it's how it is.

9 hours ago, Demiron said:

Technically anyone can sign up to join so yes it is open sadly we can't let everyone who signs up join right away as I have explained up above we don't know of the server will handle everyone.

1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

Technically anyone can sign up to join so yes it is open sadly we can't let everyone who signs up join right away as I have explained up above we don't know of the server will handle everyone.

but in time given the server takes it well, everyone should be able to join the open beta right?

So yes it is open beta if everything goes according to plan.

On ‎23‎-‎12‎-‎2016 at 11:18 PM, Kiwi said:

Hello Skylords and Skyladies,

It has come to my attention that the whole reason behind the projects plans for Open Beta hasn't been understood correctly. So I thought I would make a details thread post regarding all the information you need to know.

As many of you are aware, Open Beta means that a game is open to every player for a final test of the game and to help check for more bugs and errors that could possibly have been missed in Closed Beta.

Sadly, due to this project being different from usual game developments as we don't actually own any rights to the game itself, we would love to allow everyone to just join Open Beta right away but sadly that can't happen as we have no idea how much the server can handle which is why we have to add people slowly and carefully to monitor and test how much the server can handle and it wouldn't be fair to give all 9000+ members access to Open Beta and then the server just crash and we then have 9000+ members disappointed. Furthermore, if we where to allow every single member of the forums access then without a doubt the same bugs and errors would be reported 100 or more times causing more work for the moderation team to make sure multiple threads of the same reports are deleted.

A long time ago, the project Administrators and Community Manager came up with the plan to allow members to sign up for Open Beta and the names will be picked out at random (possibly with a random picking programme). The people picked will then be added slowly to the Open Beta at a monitored rate, so developers can keep a track of the servers stability as well as making accounts.

Signing up for Open Beta

The signing up for Open Beta will happen before Open Beta happens (some people seem to think Open Beta will start then you can sign up this is not the case)

It is currently not know how you will sign up as it all depends on what will be easiest for Blank and LordNullPointer to manage. When more is known I shall update this.

Who can get access to Open Beta

Everyone stands a chance in getting into Open Beta unless you have sadly made your way onto our blacklist due to severe rule breaking. It is not currently known if YouTubers will get access to Open Beta or not as we would like for it to be fair for everyone. When more is known I shall update this.

Please note if you keep harassing members of staff for access to the game in Closed or Open Beta you will possibly risk getting black listed.

I hope this makes sense and at least gives you a bit of insight into why the project is doing it the way it is. We apologize if any of this upsets or offends anyone but sadly this is the way it has to be and we hope you understand this a little better now. If you have any questions or queries please fee free to ask them below or send me or @MrXLink a PM and we will try our best to answer them as much as we can.

how can i sign up?

1 minute ago, koelkit said:

how can i sign up?

Read the FAQ thoroughly. 

On 12/26/2016 at 1:52 PM, Kiwi said:

I have made that text bold now, seemed like a good idea, the whole point in the black list is so staff and developers are aware of people who have constantly gone against rules and therefore have no chance of getting access to the game until proper release. Me and @MrXLink have been keeping a keen eye out on checking for multiple accounts and have been sorting that out behind the scenes don't worry about that. Hope this has answered all your questions Anonyme, sorry it took a while. :)

Scoundrels and Rebels. 

On 01/13/2017 at 10:43 AM, Kiwi said:

You're actually describing a closed beta all the time.

I've been a closed beta tester for many different games that I just signed up by filling in a questionnaire form that was available for everyone - yet a closed beta. Then some random members have been picked. EVERY single and normal closed beta.

You're just miss-using the name and that's what makes the whole thing here kinda confusing.

No offense here btw - I don't think it's bad to stay safe by adding an expanding closed beta test - it's actually even better (as in better safe than sorry). In my opinion it's just a misleading term.