Challenges

Eirias

Is anyone interested in competing in some kind of non-battleforge challenges?

I was thinking things like math problems, word games, riddles, trivia hunting, or any other categories you guys can think of. They may be something as simple as "find the brand of chocolate based on an ingredient list" or even something like "get the highest home run contest score in Super Smash Bros Melee."

I would state the challenge, and you guys would compete. Depending on the challenge, different points will be awarded. For instance, the first person to solve the challenge might get 5 points, and everyone else gets 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 depending on the order they get it after the first person. Or everyone who gets it on the first day gets 5 points, and 4 on the 2nd day, etc. For something with degrees of correctness (like the home run contest), points would be awarded based on who did the best after the deadline has passed.

When the game enters open Beta/full release (after I have time to build up some bfp) I'll give rewards based on who has the points points. It will probably be something like 1 bfp per point (so even people with few points have a reason to compete) with some extra card bonuses for the top 3. I might also throw in some small bonuses (like an uncommon card or something) to the 1st place winner of each individual challenge.

If at least 10 people post that they would be interested in something like this, I'll do it!

Great idea! Your math videos were really impressive, so in that field, I would like to see some challenges.

Any other scientific or whatever field could be really interesting, so I fully suport this... plus a chance of BFPz ^^ Hopefully, more people will like this suggestion and we could start soon :)

24 minutes ago, anonyme0273 said:

Doesn't have to be. It's even located in the off-topic. 

just wondering why he even inccentivized it with BFP, thats all :D 

I guess Im interested like anon said free BFP, but why not make it BF related at least, just so there is some relevance? If its not BF related I would suggest just to do it purely for fun

Edited by Ultrakool

1 hour ago, Ultrakool said:

just wondering why he even inccentivized it with BFP, thats all :D 

I guess Im interested like anon said free BFP, but why not make it BF related at least, just so there is some relevance? If its not BF related I would suggest just to do it purely for fun

Mostly because I'm worried that I won't have enough participants. I plan on challenges being diverse (and hard) enough that it's not reasonable for everyone to be able to complete every challenge. For instance, I have two really cool calculus I and calculus II problems (I wrote them because I tutor those subjects) and it's not realistic to expect most of my viewer base to attempt to learn the necessary math without some incentive.

1 hour ago, Riviute said:

im not good in stuff like that, but at least i would try it :)  but things like "get the highest score in home run contest" not sure how i should upload that

That was just an example. But for instance, you could emulate Melee on Dolphin and record with OBS (all these things are free). Or if you have a gamecube/wii you could honestly just use a phone to record the screen. Yeah, quality would be terrible, but the idea is just to prove you did it. I will try to make the challenges as accessible as possible (so games that can be downloaded for free, or are so widely available that almost everyone has access, or math that is tricky but all the components can be easily learned through various YT tutorials).

1 hour ago, Eirias said:

Mostly because I'm worried that I won't have enough participants. I plan on challenges being diverse (and hard) enough that it's not reasonable for everyone to be able to complete every challenge. For instance, I have two really cool calculus I and calculus II problems (I wrote them because I tutor those subjects) and it's not realistic to expect most of my viewer base to attempt to learn the necessary math without some incentive.

That was just an example. But for instance, you could emulate Melee on Dolphin and record with OBS (all these things are free). Or if you have a gamecube/wii you could honestly just use a phone to record the screen. Yeah, quality would be terrible, but the idea is just to prove you did it. I will try to make the challenges as accessible as possible (so games that can be downloaded for free, or are so widely available that almost everyone has access, or math that is tricky but all the components can be easily learned through various YT tutorials).

why do you even want to test those stuff is my question :P Just for fun?

2 hours ago, Ultrakool said:

why do you even want to test those stuff is my question :P Just for fun?

What do you mean "test?"

But yeah, these challenges are just a way to have fun and interact in new ways. Maybe people will learn something. Maybe someone will have a chance to show off a hidden skill.

Most of them will be puzzles of some sort (even some challenge in a video game is like a puzzle), and I, for one, really enjoy puzzles. I wish someone would make high quality puzzles for me, so I'm offering to make high-quality puzzles for you guys :)

8 hours ago, Chimerae said:

I have no knowledge of calculus, but I like riddles that involve reasoning, or clever use of language. Like the idea eirias! Btw that repfarm tho :kappa:

Was not my intention, but I'll take it. (Was planning on the actual puzzles to do that for me :kappa:)

Speaking of repfarm though, has anyone noticed rep "inflating"? I remember when 3 or 4 rep would put you at the top of the week's leaderboard, and now we sometimes have multiple people in the 20s.

2 hours ago, Eirias said:

I remember when 3 or 4 rep would put you at the top of the week's leaderboard, and now we sometimes have multiple people in the 20s.

3-4 rep at the top ? I remember when 15-30 reputation was required to be at the top of the leaderboard. Of course these amounts depend on when you look at the leaderboard (more hype - less hype).

8 hours ago, Eirias said:

Alright then: totaling the people who have given rep and posted, there are 10 of you!

I already know what the first puzzle will be, but give me a few days to move and then I'll formally lay out the problem!

Alright, I'll be waiting eagerly :] 

• 5 months later...

Sorry, I know, I'm terrible. What am I, 6 months late?

I know the first challenge (it's a logic riddle). I'm working on making a video for it. Posting here so I can't go back and bail.

Also making the post before I make the video, because videoediting is hard and I want to make sure there's still interest in this.

8 hours ago, Archmystic said:

sounds fun, can people join in at anytime :D? (as in if you miss a challenge is it ok to join in for the next one?)

Yep! I'll just make these (rn aiming for 2x a month, but might do more/less depending on participation) and I'll record who submits the correct answer and how quickly. I'm trying to make the puzzles pretty hard though, so the number of winners might be low. This first one, for instance, is devious. It's really cool, but super hard--I've never seen anyone (besides myself) solve it irl, although of course you guys will have access to the internet and at least a week :)

Still figuring out how I want to keep score, but it will basically be cumulative for all the challenges, and I'm going to try to make them super diverse...so if I give y'all a math one and you don't have the math background to solve it, make an attempt (participation points!) but don't give up, because next time I might have you hunt something on the internet, or write submit "10 things to buy at Walmart to mess with the cashier" (which would be subjective and based on quality of answer, not time submitted) or something like that.

Just so y'all know I didn't forget again, I finished the video! Now it'll be about 12+ hours for it to upload. I'll link it when it's up. Would you guys like to see a transcript of the video here so you can get started ASAP? 

P.S. This first one is SUUUUPER hard so feel free to collaborate, but remember that you'll get more points if you're the only person to solve it, rather than if 4 people solve it on the same day, so I would recommend trying to spend a day or two solving it on your own, and when (or if :) ) you can't do it by yourself, try to collaborate with others. Good Luck!

Dang, I'm getting lots of rep from this :) Was not (necessarily :kappa: ) my intention, but I certainly don't mind!

Also I decided to upload the video in lower quality (720p) so it would upload faster (i.e. it's done now). If y'all want future videos to be in higher resolution, I'm willing to make the sacrifice :) Just let me know!

Oh, and here's the video!

36 minutes ago, Ultrakool said:

Is it me or do you only speak to my left ear when I'm wearing headphones?

Hmm....I looked at my audio file and noticed that there is one track (usually it duplicates the track). I thought it was a software update, so if it notices only 1 track it duplicates it for both sides, but perhaps the update now makes me duplicate the track manually. I don't have headphones so I can't check, but if anyone else can verify this, it's an easy fix for future videos!

Also, anyone else getting close to the solution? Our resident genius @RadicalX has already solved it, but the challenge is still open!

Right now the plan is leave this challenge open until June 30th, but release Challenge #2 on June 23. The next one is quite a bit different!

• 1 month later...