Keyboard shortcuts

anonyme0273

We all use a computer, and in order to help using it more fluently and with ease, manageability and speed, I decided to put some of the more useful keyboard shortcuts in a document.

Of course I don't use all of them, but I have thought of many good uses for all of them when writing them down. 

They are all tested on W10, Google Chrome and Microsoft Office Word. No Linux or Apple shortcuts weren't unfortunately listed, simply because I never used these operating systems. Not all may work at all times, but I will leave up to you to decide which ones you deem worthy and useful in any way. 

Ctrl  – control (either bottom corner of keyboard)

Alt – alternative – alongside spacebar

Win – Windows key… the four flags on the bottom left corner

Shift – left or right, doesn’t matter

Esc – escape – top left corner of keyboard

Del - delete - location varies whether on notebook or desktop with a normal external keyboard, but mostly either in the cluster of 6 keys above arrow keys or above Backspace

PgUp/PgDown - location varies whether on notebook or desktop with a normal external keyboard, but mostly in the cluster of 6 keys above arrow keys or above Number Pad

TEXT EDITING

• ·         Ctrl + C – copies selection (text, images…) into clipboard

• ·         Ctrl + X – cuts selection from document and saves into clipboard

• ·         Ctrl + V – inputs newest item from clipboard into text window or document

• ·         Ctrl + A – selects all available items into current selection

• ·         Ctrl + Z – deletes last action (undo)

• ·         Ctrl + Y – applies last deleted action (redo) – Ctrl + Shift + Z may work as well

• ·         Ctrl + B – makes selected text bold

• ·         Ctrl + I – makes selected text italic

• ·         Ctrl + U – makes selected text underlined

• o   Following may only work in Word

• ·         Ctrl + = - makes selected text down index

• ·         Ctrl + 1 – makes selected text upper index

• ·         Ctrl + ? – makes selected text bigger by enlarging its font size value

• ·         Ctrl + ; - makes selected text smaller by decreasing its font size value

• ·         Shift + arrow key – expands selection in the direction of the arrow pressed/held

• ·         Ctrl + arrow key – move text cursor by a word (divided by space)

• ·         Ctrl + shift + arrow key – expands selection by a word in the direction of the arrow pressed/held

GENERAL USAGE

• ·         Alt + Tab – upon one fast press – switches to last active application, upon holding and pressing Tab multiple times – browses through active applications and when Ta bis released, activates and maximizes the selected one

• ·         Win + Tab – opens up a window with all active applications, can be then controlled with mouse/arrow keys, on W10 also enables creating multiple desktop screens

• ·         Ctrl + Win + Left/Right – if more desktop screens are open, this will switch between them in the corresponding direction

BROWSER

• o   I use Google Chrome, shortcuts may differ in other browsers

• ·         Ctrl + Tab – switches open tabs in the direction from right to left

• ·         Ctrl + PgDown – switches open tabs in the direction from left to right

• ·         Ctrl + PgUp – switches current tab to the one on the left from the current tab

• ·         Ctrl + W – closes current tab

• ·         Ctrl + T – opens a new tab, it will be situated all the way to the right

• ·         Ctrl + Shift + N – opens an anonymous window, opening new tabs there works normally with Ctrl + T

• ·         Ctrl + Shift + T – opens last closed tab, can be used multiple times

• ·         Ctrl + U – opens up source code of the current website

• ·         Ctrl + J – opens up a new tab with download history

• ·         Ctrl + H – opens up a new tab with browsing history

• ·         Ctrl + Shift + Q – closes all windows and tabs, quits Google Chrome

• ·         Alt + Space + N – minimizes current window

• ·         Alt + Space + X – maximizes last opened window

• ·         Alt + left arrow – opens up last page from history in the current tab

• ·         Alt + right arrow – opens up next page from history in the current tab

• ·         Shift + Esc – opens Chrome task manager

• ·         Ctrl + + - zooms in , Ctrl + mouseWheel also works

• ·         Ctrl + - - zooms out, Ctrl + mouseWheel also works

• ·         Ctrl + 0 – resets zoom to default

OTHER

• ·         Ctrl + S – saves document, webpage, or work in progress – highly recommended after each small change to any work in progress!

• ·         Ctrl + O – opens a file

• ·         Ctrl + F – searches opened document for any text, works with some .pdf files as well, works on most websites, usefull when looking through a long list for specific notes

• ·         Ctrl + N – creates a new document

• ·         Ctrl + P – prints current document or website

• ·         Home – moves text cursor to start of line or website to the very top

• ·         Ctrl + Home – moves text cursor to the very top of a document

• ·         End – moves text cursor to end of line or a website to the very (loaded) bottom

• ·         Ctrl + End – moves text cursor to the very bottom of a document

• ·         Ctrl + Esc – opens Start menu

• ·         Ctrl + Shift + Esc – opens taskbar

• ·         Ctrl + Alt + Del – opens Windows option screen

FUNCTION KEYS

• ·         F1 – displays help for active program

• ·         F2 – allows you to rename selected icon or a file

• ·         F3 – opens a search feature, similar to Ctrl + F

• ·         F4 – opens a search feature or copies last written string of text, depending on program

• ·         F5 – refreshes current window, works in browsers and file explorers as well

• ·         F6 – moves cursor to adress bar and selects it in a browse, on a desktop it lists through main panel slots

• ·         F7 – checks grammar in most text editors

• ·         F8 – upon booting, starts the computer in ssafe mode, when in text editor, helps with text selection (very messy though)

• ·         F9 – refresh Word document (quite useless)

• ·         F10 – activates menu bar of current application, if it has one

• ·         F11 – switches fullscreen mode on and off in browsers

• ·         F12 – opens ‚Save as‘ option

WINDOWS FUNCTIONS

• ·         Win + R – opens ‚run‘ box

• ·         Win + D – displays desktop

• ·         Win + L – quickly lock your computer

• ·         Win + M – minimizes all applications and displays desktop

• ·         Win + T – focuses arrow key movement on taskbar shortcuts

• ·         Win + left/right arrow – changes application size to ½ and puts it to the correspinding side, useful for managing 2 applications at once or rewriting text rather than Ctrl+C’ing it
  •  

Here is a .docx document where you can edit in your own, add fixes that apply to your OS or just keep it for offline uses

shortcuts.docx

EDIT: I really suggest reading through the document, it's much easier to go through and doesn't look as clumsy as the same text that's copied in the Forum

If you found a mistake or think this list is missing something important, please, let me know! Happy computer-using, Skylords!

Edited by anonyme0273

Some of them are really useful and I didn't know them, like Ctrl+Shift+T in chrome if you accidentally closed a tab, or Shift+Esc to see what tab is eating all of your disk speed, or F6 to copy the URL cause some long url's are hard to select (if you drag it will take a lot of time and if you doubleclick it sometimes only selects a single word or something)

10 hours ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

Some of them are really useful and I didn't know them, like Ctrl+Shift+T in chrome if you accidentally closed a tab, or Shift+Esc to see what tab is eating all of your disk speed, or F6 to copy the URL cause some long url's are hard to select (if you drag it will take a lot of time and if you doubleclick it sometimes only selects a single word or something)

Ctrl+Shift+T I discovered by accident, and I have been using it since. A good use to it, also, if somehow Google Chrome crashes, you can just open it up and with the shortcut open ALL previously opened tabs. Very useful. When copying the URL, I also sometimes use Shift + ArrowKeys to select just words or phrases that are somehow split up, so I can only get the core (or however is it called) of the URL or exclude something else from the selection. 

8 hours ago, Eddio said:

Ehmm not sure what to say thx I guess .. Maybe some of these could be useful :P

Well atleast good job for your work :) I am sure that I am gonna use some of these.

I will probably highlight some that I find useful after doing a survey with some students that I have intended to prepare this for sooner or later. Also considering switching to Linux to try it out, so I will then dig into their keyboard shortcuts as well, might add them then. 

°°°

Thank you for your feedback though, appreciated :)