RainZy

Noticed some people with anime avatars and some people with just battle-forge monsters.

So i was interested to ask 'what do you think about anime?, have you ever seen it?, If not would you watch it?, if yes why do you watch it?'

Whats your favourite ;) 

We have this discussion on chat pretty much every 2-3 days, I feel it´s kinda redundant to have a topic about it ;D (Also I think there are some similar topics to this that already exist)
But hey, long story short, I like anime, I watch pretty much everything that sounds decent to me.
My Favourite is probably Code Geass.

1 hour ago, Shotty said:

We have this discussion on chat pretty much every 2-3 days, I feel it´s kinda redundant to have a topic about it ;D (Also I think there are some similar topics to this that already exist)
But hey, long story short, I like anime, I watch pretty much everything that sounds decent to me.
My Favourite is probably Code Geass.

I know :P but i prefer to interact then to browse the entire forum to get the gyst of what people like here :3 also i am intrigued haha

What do I think about anime?

Unfortunately a lot of people think anime is childish or all about fan service and action scenes meant for children with no meaningful story.

Unfortunately they're right. For the most part.

There are hidden gems that are fantastic work of art, at least as good as - or sometimes even better - than the best EU/US movies or TV series out there.

People who don't watch anime are missing out big time, but I can't really blame them since weeding out the sh!t from the good is quite a frustrating task. I've been doing this for years, but finding a memorable anime that you won't forget till the day you die makes it all worthwhile!

I'm personally a casual when it comes to anime, I really enjoy them, but it's not like I watch any anime that comes out, or that I've watched that many tbh, but I do enjoy my fair share of action, psychological and slice of life Anime's ^-^

some of my favourites are probably Your Lie in April, Code Geass and Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom.

3 minutes ago, EonBen said:

some of my favourites are probably Your Lie in April, Code Geass and Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom.

Your Lie in April and Code Geass... Hmm... Then I reckon you'd also enjoy Erased (Boku dake ga Inai Machi).

Just now, Ilsyde said:

Your Lie in April and Code Geass... Hmm... Then I reckon you'd also enjoy Erased (Boku dake ga Inai Machi).

Already watched that my friend ;] was an amazing show as well tbh. I really loved that one too, just didn't wanna list too many anime's there xD but thanks for wanting to give advice ^-^

Edited by EonBen

• 2 weeks later...

I watched ablut 4000 episodes of anime. I think it is a great medium as it can express things that are otherwise hardly possible. Also in terms of depths and plot there clearly are (at least) some pieces which can clearly hold up to Hollywood movies - for example Ghibli movies.

Sadly anime is yet to be recognized as a medium that can give interesting views on complex topics  and is rather just viewed as childish as it is somewhat similar to the western cartoons which are specially made for childs and whenever there is anime in tv those shows are speaking to the exact same audience. ( Sorry for that monster of a sentence)

What really bothers me lately are shows that have unfinished story lines and are just produced for advertisement of the original content ( Manga, Light Novels). Those shows generally do not even try to cover up that the plot is not finished and almost randomly stop somewhere. 

Also i would much rather have a few very good shows in a season instead of 30+ shows  but most of those are at best mediocre as those cut away resources. Obviously not every anime has to be a masterpiece but the good old times with 25 episode animes are much more preferable imo.

Basically give me a few good 25 episode animes which have a clear ending in its plot instead of a lot mediocrity with unfinished storylines. Thanks.

So i think I am going to post the most hatred comment here:

i hate anime. The only anime i watched was one piece, but i think i'm getting to old for this shit. The reason why i hate anime is, that i always see this big breast, big eye, cute, young girls. And i always see guys (RL or Internet) who like them. That is just fucking disgusting. yeah, if you had this fetish, go on... but don't glorify this whole genre. There are maybe good animes outside, which has a good story and characters, but i always see this disgusting oversexualize. Big boobs, ass, short skirt. It seems that women and girls are just sex objects. And this is why i hate them.

WdNgJAw_700wa_0.gif

@Drezrak well, if your opinion is based solely on one piece, i can understand that very well. i also really dislike the fanservice going on in the anime industry, as well as the just wierd/childish elements in many anime, mosty shounen anime... but please don't discard an entire subgenre of media just because you watched the wrong stuff. go and have a look at adult anime, such as "monster". maybe you will like those.

@LagOps

You misunderstood me: I like one piece. Still now, but i won't watch it anymore. I simply can't stand this whole hype about anime and this freaks, who are obsessed about anime girls. Of course, i don't know many anime, but i always see this oversexualizing.

14 hours ago, Drezrak said:

@LagOps

You misunderstood me: I like one piece. Still now, but i won't watch it anymore. I simply can't stand this whole hype about anime and this freaks, who are obsessed about anime girls. Of course, i don't know many anime, but i always see this oversexualizing.

That's like saying you don't watch movies anymore because people are obsessed with hot actresses who crave for sexual attention and screentime.
There are more and more movies revolving around women's racks and booties. Depending on the individual's tolerance, these can be seen as childish and pathetic.

Same with anime.

One the other hand there are lots that concentrate on story, or affect your mood and psyche. Very few of these have fan service. Both action and comedy genres are full of boobs and asses though.
You problably want to look for dramas, psychological horrors and thrillers. @LagOps gave you a good example with Monster. Start with that.

There is also Space Bothers, Erased, Lovely Complex and PlanetES to name a few.

But I feel your pain - a lot of times it's hard to find good ones among the filth. The same can be said about movies and TV series...

@Drezrak

Its easy to stay away from the childish stuff because it tends to be blatently obvious what is (I'm looking at you 'shounen' genre).

Fanservice can be seen as a problem indeed...But if you watch enough anime you get used to it and tend to ignore it or atleast laugh it off (cuz we all know how ridiculous it can get). Some animes make it their job to make fun of the fanservice itself.

They are well aware themselves that its a problem and it will NEVER become a complete fanservice medium, because they are well aware that its not what everyone is waiting for.

The japanese industry (like manga and anime) have stories that the west couldn't even dream to imagine (in a good way..and sometimes bad). Thats why most of us watch anime. Many have very mature and serious storylines and they often try to push you to think about stuff. Anime can question everything. Can't deal with the fact that they often have cute girls in them?...well..If you see them as cute girls instead of simply characters in a story...I like to think of that as your problem. lol

The japanese have an extremely open culture when it comes to this stuff. So they have the freedom to make bad and good shit. I think its only admirable compared to the same stuff we have here...

Like i said, in my previous posts, there are good anime (i never doubt it). But i don't watch anime, so i can't tell you, if there are more good or bad anime out there. All i know is what i see in the Internet or hear in RL. And what i see and hear makes me puke. Half naked womens, with big boobs, looking shy. this is just disgusting for me.

@Ilsyde

Yes, it's the same thing here. If there is a focus on hot, half naked girls, i won't watch it. But this isn't the majority of the movies. And there are lot of movies where women act, which have not this supermodel standard. And show me some anime where are not this cute, big boobs, whatever girls on the screen.

@Lord NullPointer

The problem is here, that women in anime are always downgraded to this sex objects. And this is the problem in japanese culture. This is not an extremly open culture, like you think. Women has not the same position as here in western countries. The standards are about to change now, yes, but they still have no the same position as man.

And if you ignore this fact just by saying, every girl is just a character in a story, and not seeing this whole discrimination, YOU are the problem.

@Drezrak

Thing is, its not just women. Men gets sexualized ALOT in anime as well. Often in Yaoi context (gay). Japan isn't as obsessed with this discrimination as the west is.

While ofc women do get this more, that is mainly because it sells. And most animes aren't that bad at all.

It's futile comparing the two cultures... Same thing with working women and housewifes in Japan... Some women conciously CHOOSE to become housewifes and manage family funds because they want to, while others end up in high ranking positions in companies (probably more than in the west).

Not to mention that a lot of anime stare strong main female leads. Which should not be overlooked... They have anime specifically targeted at women and girls. You only heard about a small section of anime.

@Lord NullPointer

That's the point. I just see anime which are about this type of girls, i often described now. I never seen an anime about some strong female main characters. I'm not mention, that they doesn't exist, but i just didn't see them in the internet. Because they were not that hyped.

And about the womens in high ranking position in companies... No, they were not as much as in western countries. They are far away about to reach the standard as we have here. Women has it way more difficult to get high ranking positions than man in japan. (and i mean really more difficult). Things like women quote doesn't exist.

EDIT: Of course in western countries it's also not perfect, but it's way more better than in japan.

Edited by Drezrak

@Drezrak

If you're not in the anime scene you only get to see the most outrageous clips... Because..well. they are outrageous...But every season there release 30 animes at least....And certainly not all are like that..the majority arent.. Its not a "genre"..its an industry... A HUGE industry. Japan has its problems, certainly, but they dont make a problem out of everything, sexualisation in anime is not something you should limit, because some people simply enjoy it, both female and male sexualisation Why should WE deny it to them. Their entertainment is open and targeted, and people have great love for this industry...both female and male (probably rather equal in size). If it was as bad as you say, that wouldnt be the case..

Im not a fan of  sexualizing women (outside of comedic purpose) either, but I still enjoy loads of anime... You're simply uninformed, like many..many out there. Which of course is a shame.

Edited by Lord NullPointer

• 4 months later...

Ah, here we go. Anime thread, found!

Some of my favorites:
CLANNAD + S2

Kanon

Kowarekake no Orgel

Trigun

Parasyte - the maxim

Black Lagoon

Black Bullet

Gundam Wing

Macross Frontier

Psycho-Pass + S2

Mushishi

I've seen almost 500 series/OVA's/OAD's/movies so far. These are only some of my favorites.

Edited by Yakamaru