Update: Logo Removal

Kiwi

Hello Skylords and Skyladies!

As many of you have all noticed our BattleForge Reborn logos have been removed from our social media sites and our forums. This is because we have received an email from EA stating that we're using the name "BattleForge" in our name which is actually Copyrighted by them and makes it look like they're helping us along with this project when they're not.

So what does this mean?

This means that we have to make a new name for the project that doesn't contain "BattleForge". So we have come up with the name "Skylords Reborn" so as of now the project will no longer be BFR or BattleForge Reborn it will be Skylords Reborn.

There will be a competition for a new project logo and the winner will be able to enter closed Beta.

Logo Contest thread:

When will the other contestant winners be added?

Good news, the contest winners have been added!

Thank you all for your support throughout the project!

We look forward to seeing you all in the forge soon!

Sincerely,

The Skylords Reborn Team

8 minutes ago, LagOps said:

Does this mean we have to change all ingame Battleforge logos as well? if not, it might be a bit confusing if the game is called differently on the web page and in game. otherwise great news, open beta :hype:

I think that they have Battleforge, and Project can't contain trademarks, but game is Battleforge that is EA's trademark and it is just private server, so no need change anything in game.

Just please make huge distinction between Project Skylords Reborn and Game Battleforge.

Battleforge is a copyright domain which belongs to EA, by default they are supposed to defend the trademark, whether they agree to the private server or not, they have to since it infringements their copyright.

Using the client however, I believe (don't quote me on that) falls under public use, and since no money is being earned by the developers of this project, EA shouldn't take the project down. 

Since the following applies;

> Battleforge is considered a dead card for EA

> No profit earned by the developers from EA's work

Those are my two cents so the staff wouldn't have to deal with the "will ea shutdown the project" question.

As far as I'm concerned, great news for all involved. Bearing in mind that non-staff members are unaware of how EA's e-mail was worded thus it might be open to misinterpretation:

1) a relevant team at EA has announced that they're aware of the project, and most probably forwarded this matter to management to look into

2) they've asked for a name change, meaning they're also aware of its publicity (i.e. it has a sizeable following and a trailer on youtube)

And most importantly: 

3) EA hasn't asked the BFR team (or SR team, whatever) to cease and desist the project... even though they could've done so easily at this stage!

Now to wait and see how EA reacts when it gets serious (open beta and/or release) and whether they decide to impose any more restrictions at that point.

Thank you Kiwi for sharing this news with us.

44 minutes ago, EonBen said:

does this mean the site name and forum name will also be changed from "bfreborn.com" and "forum.bfreborn.com" ?

No. I'm almost certain that domain names are not associated with brand names. Take steam for example. They have steampowered as their domain name as some scandinavian sauna company owns the steam domain, at least from what I've heard that's the case.

Glad we'll be finally able to join the testing :D

As a side note, I'd like to participate, but I've already won beta access and as such don't really care about the award. Am I allowed to join the contest? And if so, what happens to the award should a person who already has access wins? (I'm not expecting to win, I'm just wondering what happens in such a case)

2 hours ago, Lukaznid said:

No. I'm almost certain that domain names are not associated with brand names. Take steam for example. They have steampowered as their domain name as some scandinavian sauna company owns the steam domain, at least from what I've heard that's the case.

Glad we'll be finally able to join the testing :D

As a side note, I'd like to participate, but I've already won beta access and as such don't really care about the award. Am I allowed to join the contest? And if so, what happens to the award should a person who already has access wins? (I'm not expecting to win, I'm just wondering what happens in such a case)

I spoke to @MrXLink and he says you can still participate if you wish and if you win, you can pick a friend or another forum member to take the Closed Beta slot.

Just to be clear, the name of the game is still Battleforge, right? Just, the project to revive it is now called Skylords Reborn? (In other words, we should advertise this on media as "Skylords Reborn: The Project to Revive Battleforge"?)

2 hours ago, Eirias said:

Just to be clear, the name of the game is still Battleforge, right? Just, the project to revive it is now called Skylords Reborn? (In other words, we should advertise this on media as "Skylords Reborn: The Project to Revive Battleforge"?)

Yes that is correct.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mental Omega said:

what if... we just call it "Battle Reforged"?

Don't forget about Legacy Reforge (quite similar name).

On 08/11/2016 at 3:53 PM, YT Tobbezockt said:

would like the title 

"Skyforge" as well. To have at least something of the last title in it ;)

There is a MMORPG Skyforge so this name would bring more confusion and attention from the creators of Skyforge.

Edited by Strek0za

9 hours ago, Bjarked said:

Have you started the compatitions and is so where can i find it, and if not when and where will you post it ? 

The competition has not yet started I believe InsaneHawk will be doing a video about it on our twitch or the youtube channel, when this will be I am not sure right now, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kreativne said:

Есть предложения для нового логотипа могут create a logo

Hi! In order for everyone to understand, I suggest and insist you speak/write only english in this forum, as its the one official language we use here. If you want to talk russian, use personal messages or other non-public means of communication. 

To your question (if Google Translate is correct) - as you can see, there is no logo yet, and the name has been changed, so I guess yes, feel free to try and make a new logo. Good luck!