My personal Battleforge competitive guide

Nick

So I wrote a guide that I will use for myself when the game launches. I gathered what i got from other guides and wrote a summary of what I understood. I would like to see people's opinion's on it :) :

Things that are highlighted in red (THIS OR THIS) are more important than other points.

Tips to follow before the match:

Warmup before playing competitively,
Make sure you are ready to play,
Revise the strategies and think about how your deck matches up against other factions.
Make sure you are calm and collected to maximise your performance,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tips to follow during the match:

[Micro, Awareness and Tactics]:
All units are doing what is best,
Look for the best moment to use a spell and only use it if you really need it,
Try to kill units in the most efficient manner and try to trade up in value,
Avoid using abilities unless you need them(i.e. frenzy because your units will die after the frenzy); but make sure to use them if there is no drawback,
Attempt to either try to get a large advantage early on and finish the game or try to win small skirmishes and stall until tier 3 where you can end the game,
Always build the right counter to the attacking force and use t1 to counter t1, t2 for t2 and t3 for t3 unless a card is very useful(like scavenger and frost sorceress),
If you gain an advantage(i.e. destroy a well) make sure you deny the opponent an opportunity to do so to you. This can be done by defending after a successful attack,
If the armies are even, try to initiate the attack next to your base because your fresh units won't be dazed and your orb attacks units,
Build your first unit as fast as you can so you can rush it to the well faster and get the well first. This will give you a slight power advantage,
Make sure to utilise cards that support your units even if they aren't a counter to a unit. These can be a unit that can trample(dreadcharger) or knockback(firesworn) other units,
Try to play the way your faction is best played,
If you can use less common tactics to try to force a mistake from your opponent,
Always try to use hotkeys and try to learn all of them,
Learn the maps: look up replays and try to see what tricks good players use. Also learn where the best orb and well clusters are,
Remember to spread your units so spells are less effective against them,
Try to attack multiple locations to strain the opponent,
Focus fire units to make sure they die. If you are attacking a squad, then try to leave 1 or 2 units alive so they bind power(unless it's a squad like spirit hunters, they only need one unit to do a lot of damage, so take them out).  If a unit is being focus fired then retreat it to a well and wait for it to heal up.

TRY NOT TO GET ANGRY DURING THE MATCH, IF YOUR COOL-HEADED YOU CAN MAKE BETTER DECISIONS!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Power]:
A well is equal to spawning 1000 power in cards, this is because if you lose a well you lose 100 power and if you lose 1000 power in cards then you lose 100 power also,
Only build a well if you think you can defend it for 200 seconds(rough guide),
During the game you should wait for a large advantage before you build an orb, or if you doubt you will gain an advantage in that tier then take an orb(only if you can defend it),
If you are going to take an orb and a well make sure to take the wells first as they will start giving power back nearly instantly while the orb takes a while to build and during that time you could have gained power.

Tips to follow after the match:

[Analysing]:
Watch a replay of your game and try to spot the mistakes you have done, next game focus on not making those mistakes again,
Think about your deck; are the cards you are currently using not working well together? Are you unable to counter specific cards? Do you not have good ... counters? If yes try to revise your deck.
Try to practice your micro and look back at all the tips.

If you think I should add something to my list then please tell me. There is no point of following a guide if it leads to the wrong path!

Edited by Nick

Great great job!

Unique tips that apply to every player, not strategy/deck specific like some others. I like it, and I can agree with most of them ;) 

Here are just some things I would briefly change

43 minutes ago, Nick said:

A well is equal to spawning 1000 units, this is because if you lose a well you lose 100 power and if you lose 1000 in units then you lose 100 power also,

1000 Power worth of cards. Not only units, but buildings and spells as well. Also, spells give you Void Power immediately, while buildings and units only after they are gone (dead or destroyed). 

Focus fire units to make sure they die.

unless they are squads, if you feel like it, you can keep 1~2 of the units of a 6 squad alive and make them become "bound" power, that your opponent can't use unless they die (if your opponent notices them, he might do well by killing them himself using the keyboard shortcut '.' twice. Same for you if you have a weak squad left). 

Avoid using abilities unless you really need them(i.e. frenzy); don't forget to use the abilities,

NOTE: unit and building abilities return 100% of possible used Power into VP pool immediately, even if they last longer (correct me if I am wrong on this one), so unless you are waiting for an opportunity, don't hesitate to use them

Make sure you are ready to play,

tell your family to not disturb you, shut the door, turn off your phone and turn off all communication media on your computer to ensure 0 disturbances. thats a bit overkill... eeh... just make sure noone disturbs you, its a shame to leave a game in the middle because dinner is ready

If I see more, I will update this, but even though, really nice ;) 

9 hours ago, Nick said:

Build your first unit as fast as you can so you can rush it to the well faster and get the well first. This will give you a slight power advantage,

Or if you're Fire and your enemy is Frost:

Build your first Scavenger as fast as you can so you can rush it to the enemy faster and get a well down early :P

Jokes aside, nice summary. Some great points mentioned, like the analysing part.  Maybe try to turn it into somekind of a numbered list ? I am not sure, because at first it seemed like a wall of text which might make people less inclined to read it. 

@anonyme0273 Thanks for all the great suggestions! 

11 hours ago, anonyme0273 said:

NOTE: unit and building abilities return 100% of possible used Power into VP pool immediately, even if they last longer (correct me if I am wrong on this one), so unless you are waiting for an opportunity, don't hesitate to use them

I knew that the abilities return 100% power to the void I was trying to say that you, for example, shouldn't frenzy your forsaken unless they are being attacked. Also if the ability is expensive then you could be at a temporary disadvantage and give you enemy an opportunity to attack.

tell your family to not disturb you, shut the door, turn off your phone and turn off all communication media on your computer to ensure 0 disturbances. thats a bit overkill... eeh... just make sure noone disturbs you, its a shame to leave a game in the middle because dinner is ready

Yeah this one was more of a personal point rather than a universal tip. I play on my bed on a tv that is about 1m away, so i also have my mouse and keyboard on my lap and on the bed. I have a habit of sitting awkwardly or I start going on my phone and other things, so I made that point to make sure I'm actually focused rather than doing something else.

you can keep 1~2 of the units of a 6 squad alive and make them become "bound" power, that your opponent can't use unless they die

1000 Power worth of cards. Not only units, but buildings and spells as well. Also, spells give you Void Power immediately, while buildings and units only after they are gone (dead or destroyed). 

I'll make sure to rephrase my points, thanks for the help though it's very much appreciated :) 

2 hours ago, Ladadoos said:

Build your first Scavenger as fast as you can so you can rush it to the enemy faster and get a well down early :P

Jokes aside, nice summary. Some great points mentioned, like the analysing part.  Maybe try to turn it into somekind of a numbered list ? I am not sure, because at first it seemed like a wall of text which might make people less inclined to read it. 

Thanks for the feedback! I will try to organise it more. I wrote it in a text file first, so it was a bit unorganised so i will try to change it. Oh yeah... nice joke :kappa:

I want to add a section about what you should do in certain scenarios. How accurate is this statement?:

"After the opening skirmish if you have a slight advantage then you should well up, if you have a slight disadvantage then you should wait for the opponent to well up and then attack, if you have a large disadvantage go on
the defensive and wait for the best moment to go up a tier, if you have a great advantage you could either take a well and attack(more risky as if you fail the attack then the game might even out) or take a well and an orb." 

If you think something in this statement is wrong please tell me

30 minutes ago, Nick said:

I want to add a section about what you should do in certain scenarios. How accurate is this statement?:

"After the opening skirmish if you have a slight advantage then you should well up, if you have a slight disadvantage then you should wait for the opponent to well up and then attack, if you have a large disadvantage go on
the defensive and wait for the best moment to go up a tier, if you have a great advantage you could either take a well and attack(more risky as if you fail the attack then the game might even out) or take a well and an orb." 

The problem with statements like these is that they can't be generalised. The decision of taking a well, T2, attacking or staying defensive depends on A LOT of factors, one main factor being the matchup. For example if you're playing a known pure fire player you try to keep the powerlevels as low as possible and maybe go T2 early. If you're pure fire yourself you're not doing yourself a favour going T2 early if it's not to finish the game. And even there are exceptions. Different maps, skill levels, playstyles, deckconstellations.....I would try not to go in depth too much on strategies and tactics or the guide will become too long.

If there's a n overall theme of all strategies it might be something about that they all try to get a lead in power (may it be temporary or permanently) and try to defeat their oponent by using their own decks strengths and exploiting the oponents deck weaknesses. If you try to be more specific and situational it gets really complicated and complex really fast. Think of the different approaches nature, frost and shadow/fire take going into a T1 fight alone. There are really good in depth guides about that already and i think your guide is unique so far as it's the only one wich gives an overview about everything from before to after the game.

You could also mention that it's always a good idea to take an aggressive approach. Eventhough passive defensive startegies can work in the low- and midranks you will have to learn how to put pressure on your oponent at some point, no matter the deck you play.

46 minutes ago, SunWu II. said:

The problem with statements like these is that they can't be generalised. The decision of taking a well, T2, attacking or staying defensive depends on A LOT of factors, one main factor being the matchup. For example if you're playing a known pure fire player you try to keep the powerlevels as low as possible and maybe go T2 early. If you're pure fire yourself you're not doing yourself a favour going T2 early if it's not to finish the game. And even there are exceptions. Different maps, skill levels, playstyles, deckconstellations.....I would try not to go in depth too much on strategies and tactics or the guide will become too long.

If there's a n overall theme of all strategies it might be something about that they all try to get a lead in power (may it be temporary or permanently) and try to defeat their oponent by using their own decks strengths and exploiting the oponents deck weaknesses. If you try to be more specific and situational it gets really complicated and complex really fast. Think of the different approaches nature, frost and shadow/fire take going into a T1 fight alone. There are really good in depth guides about that already and i think your guide is unique so far as it's the only one wich gives an overview about everything from before to after the game.

You could also mention that it's always a good idea to take an aggressive approach. Eventhough passive defensive startegies can work in the low- and midranks you will have to learn how to put pressure on your oponent at some point, no matter the deck you play.

Thanks for all the feedback, I will try to adjust my guide. The real reason I made the guide is because I felt like I needed to write down what I gathered from other guides so I don't have to keep all my interpretations in my head(that is why it is so generalised). I thought that if I wrote it myself then I would reach a higher understanding. Now I need people that were good at the game to tell me if what i gathered was right or wrong. I'm just trying to make a guide that has most things that you need to be good.

8 hours ago, Nick said:

Yeah, exactly what SunWu said above. But another problem with such statements is: 'slight disadvantage', 'great advantage' and 'large disadvantage'... what do they mean? what is the difference between a slight advantage and a medium or large advantage... 50 power could be huge because it is another squad of archers if the fight continues, but it is less important if you try to well/orb up... So if you try to include such statement you gotta be really specific, and even then (as SunWu said) they are really dependent on the situation.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2016 at 2:42 AM, Ladadoos said:

By the same logic,

If you're frost: take your time. The fire player will be coming to you anyway. Go make a coffee or something while waiting. :)

Anyway,

Good rough-guide!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016. 10. 23. at 10:41 PM, Nick said:

A well is equal to spawning 1000 power in cards, this is because if you lose a well you lose 100 power and if you lose 1000 power in cards then you lose 100 power also,

i don't know about it... First off: each power well generates 1 power every 2 seconds, so if it stands for 2 seconds, it already pays back 1 power and so you only lose 99 power! :D But really, this number is not wrong, but it's misleading. I would advice you, to use other wording, like "losing 1 power well makes you lose the same amount of power as if you would have used 1000 power in cards".

Also, the power well gives other advantages as well, not only the power you can gain from it, but it gives 2 more things: first and most important is that you can summon units at full strenght, without them being dazed, which can play a really important part in the fights, especially if you're shadow and want to use the abilities of a few units (like forsaken). I know you already mentioned it earlier, but it can be the deciding factor to take a well or not. The second is that it has quite a big hp (compared to t1 units) and so you should use it to absorb some area damage (like the nasty surprise) - naturally not mindlessly.

Try to kill units in the most efficient manner and try to trade up in value,

Focus fire units to make sure they die. If you are attacking a squad, then try to leave 1 or 2 units alive so they bind power(unless it's a squad like spirit hunters, they only need one unit to do a lot of damage, so take them out).  If a unit is being focus fired then retreat it to a well and wait for it to heal up.

These 2 are contradicting each other, so I'm just mentioning it, also would like to point out that against those, who are not running nature splash, you don't need to finish off the small units, it's best for you if you leave a few members of the squads alive (also against shadow t1 you have to be careful because of the motive, but in most cases this statement is still true), but against nature splashes you have to finish off everything.

... and stall until tier 3 where you can end the game,

if you are a stonekin player and don't run t3 cards, this may be a bad idea :kappaross:

Always build the right counter to the attacking force and use t1 to counter t1, t2 for t2 and t3 for t3 unless a card is very useful(like scavenger and frost sorceress),

The second part is definitely wrong, if you have the possibility in most cases you should use higher tier units to defend against lower ones, since their ( attack power and hitpoints ) : ( cost ) ratio is better.

1 or 2 power plus or minus is not the end of the world, although I would recommend doing it, but for other reasons: you can use this slight TIME-advantage to get faster to the center of the map and so have a territorial advantage, which is a lot of times even better than having 20-50 power advantage!

All in all, it's a nice guide, I just don't like this coloring stuff, but that's my personal opinion.