Thumbnails for Replays

Eirias

1 minute ago, Lukaznid said:

I'd recommend using different orbs because these look a bit too plain. I'd use something like this for the shadow orb for example.
57d513f3e5d3f_ShadowOrb.png.6fdafbf6e714

Apart from that, I'd make the black edges look "3d-ish" by adding some contour. Something like this in the shadow orb example. 57d5148b6a99a_ShadowOrbContour.png.981e2
Also do the same thing with the VS screen, make a slight edge to it so it's visibly more separated. 

This may require more work to do, but hiding the leg of the scavanger behind the black edge and the left two legs of the dread would make it look like they are more interactive with the screen.

Just suggestions though :)

2 minutes ago, Lukaznid said:

I'd recommend using different orbs because these look a bit too plain. I'd use something like this for the shadow orb for example.
57d513f3e5d3f_ShadowOrb.png.6fdafbf6e714

Apart from that, I'd make the black edges look "3d-ish" by adding some contour. Something like this in the shadow orb example. 57d5148b6a99a_ShadowOrbContour.png.981e2
Also do the same thing with the VS screen, make a slight edge to it so it's visibly more separated. 

This may require more work to do, but hiding the leg of the scavanger behind the black edge and the left two legs of the dread would make it look like they are more interactive with the screen.

Just suggestions though :)

You mean so the jaws of the scavenger go over the border, while the legs go under? that's not a ton of work, but it may double the time spent making the thumbnail.

If you make more 3D looking orbs (or photoshop crop them out of a card?) I'll use them instead of the simple circles!

Just now, Eirias said:

You mean so the jaws of the scavenger go over the border, while the legs go under? that's not a ton of work, but it may double the time spent making the thumbnail.

If you make more 3D looking orbs (or photoshop crop them out of a card?) I'll use them instead of the simple circles!

Exactly, IMO it would feel just more "there" if you know what I mean.

Also I'll do the orbs now, should be up in a couple of minutes.

6 minutes ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

I, personally, absolutely hate the black trapezoid thing behind the 'VS". It looks horrible in my opinion... But maybe it's just my taste

(I would have just left it out, and let the 'VS' slightly overlap the map.)

We tried that, it didn't look very good. Personally I'm quite happy with the black trapezoid. @Lukaznid what exactly do you mean by making the VS screen 3D? Making the letters have a more 3D effect, or the trapezoid?

Did you ever redo the sunstrider? Or are you working with @lFrostAvatar through PM?

1 minute ago, Eirias said:

We tried that, it didn't look very good. Personally I'm quite happy with the black trapezoid.

@Lukaznid did you ever redo the sunstrider? Or are you working with @lFrostAvatar through PM?

I was busy yesterday (plus it was stream day :D) So no, I'll do it now because I have a ton of time today ;)

Also, yes we are working through pm a bit, not too much though.

Also here are the orbs, with and without the contour

With: 57d5186fd453b_Fireorbcontour.png.9201ab557d51871f38b6_Frostorbcontour.png.ad3a3557d51873174f3_Natureorbcontour.png.dae5b57d51875387cd_ShadowOrbContour.png.943b8

Without: 57d51870db5eb_Fireorb.png.84d210610cf16857d5187291dc0_Frostorb.png.9bffb9b2bb61657d51874314f3_Natureorb.png.a92cd753862a57d51875c3a3a_ShadowOrb.png.b2f6b5612cbe

Also I can see a bit of defect on the nature and shadow orbs, gimme a sec to fix those. (they're not very well visible in PS)

Just now, Lukaznid said:

I was busy yesterday (plus it was stream day :D) So no, I'll do it now because I have a ton of time today ;)

Also, yes we are working through pm a bit, not too much though.

Also here are the orbs, with and without the contour

With: 57d5186fd453b_Fireorbcontour.png.9201ab557d51871f38b6_Frostorbcontour.png.ad3a3557d51873174f3_Natureorbcontour.png.dae5b57d51875387cd_ShadowOrbContour.png.943b8

Without: 57d51870db5eb_Fireorb.png.84d210610cf16857d5187291dc0_Frostorb.png.9bffb9b2bb61657d51874314f3_Natureorb.png.a92cd753862a57d51875c3a3a_ShadowOrb.png.b2f6b5612cbe

Also I can see a bit of defect on the nature and shadow orbs, gimme a sec to fix those. (they're not very well visible in PS)

What's stopping you from directly taking them from a card? And what are your suggestions to make the VS screen 3D?

2 minutes ago, Eirias said:

What's stopping you from directly taking them from a card? And what are your suggestions to make the VS screen 3D?

They're low resolution, plus I don't like the way they look. I can grab those too for comparison if you want, it's not really too much of a hassle.

also here are the fixed versions. 57d51983cf185_Natureorbcontour.png.d711e57d51984ec277_Natureorb.png.ccf8b887bfed57d51985d6d1c_ShadowOrbContour.png.180e357d5198667879_ShadowOrb.png.3ab941dc2f8a not quite perfect, but I'd say it's good enough ;)

E: for comparison I took these of the tab where you build them on a monument. This pic: BuildOrb.jpg.dd18c88eb02d4c5a0bd16dd5d90

Edited by Lukaznid

2 minutes ago, Lukaznid said:

They're low resolution, plus I don't like the way they look. I can grab those too for comparison if you want, it's not really too much of a hassle.

also here are the fixed versions. 57d51983cf185_Natureorbcontour.png.d711e57d51984ec277_Natureorb.png.ccf8b887bfed57d51985d6d1c_ShadowOrbContour.png.180e357d5198667879_ShadowOrb.png.3ab941dc2f8a not quite perfect, but I'd say it's good enough ;)

Could you scale them to 225%? I'm guessing you won't lose resolution because you generated those yourself?

3 minutes ago, Eirias said:

Could you scale them to 225%? I'm guessing you won't lose resolution because you generated those yourself?

I didn't generate those myself, that's the thing. I took them off the pic like I said in the edit in the post before.

Also here are the orbs from the cards 57d51b1cbf1cb_FrostorbFromCard.png.e99c057d51b1d796b1_ShadowOrbFromCard.png.d689 Really hurting on resolution as I already scaled them to twice their original size.

Edited by Lukaznid

30 minutes ago, Eirias said:

oh, okay. Well, I guess they'll have to do.

Forgot fire? And the first shadow is higher resolution than the second

Fire is up there. Also it being higher resolution is highly unlikely, the entire difference is that the one with the contour has the blending options on it and the first one doesn't. Or which ones are you talking about the card ones or the monument ones?

Also fixed the sunstriders a bit, I sent them to lFrostAvatar for rendering, I hope they'll be better this time round.

Also here's the sunderer, thx to @lFrostAvatar for sending me the HD pics :D 
Sunderer.png.194a67ae4508a7c9fc12f6a558f

Edited by Lukaznid

3 minutes ago, Lukaznid said:

Fire is up there. Also it being higher resolution is highly unlikely, the entire difference is that the one with the contour has the blending options on it and the first one doesn't. Or which ones are you talking about the card ones or the monument ones?

I guess it was the blending method. Idk, but the most recent frost and shadow one that you posted looks really bad at large scales. I generated my own again, trying to make them look more 3D. Is this any better?

example thumbnail2.png

1 minute ago, Eirias said:

I guess it was the blending method. Idk, but the most recent frost and shadow one that you posted looks really bad at large scales. I generated my own again, trying to make them look more 3D. Is this any better?

example thumbnail2.png

Fair enough, I didn't really bother with quality much :rolleyes:

Also yes they look much much better. I'm not much of a fan of flat things ;) 

Edited by Lukaznid

1 minute ago, Lukaznid said:

Fair enough, I didn't really bother with quality xD

Also yes they look much much better. I'm not much of a fan of flat things ;) 

So anything else to adjust, in your opinion? Is this as good as it gets :)

2 minutes ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

@Eirias Could you post a preview of the thumbnail with lukaznid's orbs? They look so nice and I'd like to know why you choose not to use them... Something with the quality, or so?

actually, FrostAvatar made some nice ones for me :)

But if you want to see how Lukaznid's looks, scale it to 225% and see the resolution.

12 hours ago, Eirias said:

@Lukaznid could you do magma hurler next?

Sure I'll do it today sometime :)

2 hours ago, Eirias said:

Alright, first thumbnail on a video is here:

/video/

Suggestion. I would've left the starting screen, the thumbnail, on the screen a bit longer so people could actually see it and read it.

E: done, one with 75% transparency on the flames, one without, chose whichever you like better

transparent 57d66494c359a_Magma_Hurlertransparent.pn and solid 57d6649155db8_Magma_Hurlersolid.png.0313

Edited by Lukaznid

Yeah, you might even leave it there some longer, like 5 seconds... its a lot of info on a little screen, so 5 sec is right about enough to read and understand it. if you don't care about it, 5 sec isn't to bad to 'wait'.

You can also start of in the lobby, then put it over when the game is in loading screen, and then show the game... this would only work with livecasts tho, cause with replays you have no lobby right?