Thumbnails for Replays

Eirias

Just now, lFrostAvatar said:

Aight @Eirias new version is done, hope you like it :)!
Tried to optimize some points that you mentioned.
Also added some purple colour on the left side and some red on the right to blend in better with the monsters.

thumbnail_pattern_2.png

neat,  I'd add some effects behind the creatures based on what affinity they are and swap the shield and orb on the right so its symmetrical 

2 minutes ago, Lukaznid said:

neat,  I'd add some effects behind the creatures based on what affinity they are and swap the shield and orb on the right so its symmetrical 

Actually i thought about adding some effects behind the creatures, I just get the feeling that it is too much then.
If i do that, I can cut the whole background out because it wont even matter anyways.

3 minutes ago, Lukaznid said:

swap the shield and orb on the right so its symmetrical 

Sure i can do that.

44 minutes ago, lFrostAvatar said:

Actually i thought about adding some effects behind the creatures, I just get the feeling that it is too much then.
If i do that, I can cut the whole background out because it wont even matter anyways.

Sure i can do that.

Also are you doing this is photoshop? If so could you send me the .psd file so I can toy around with it a bit?

5 minutes ago, Lukaznid said:

Also are you doing this is photoshop? If so could you send me the .psd file so I can toy around with it a bit?

Yes i am working with photoshop, yet i wont share the source data.
I will share the source data later as template for ppl to change names etc.
But for now i am still working on that, i hope you understand that.

Just now, lFrostAvatar said:

Yes i am working with photoshop, yet i wont share the source data.
I will share the source data later as template for ppl to change names etc.
But for now i am still working on that, i hope you understand that.

Do as you wish, I thought we were working together but if you want to do it by yourself that's fine by me. Also I see that you've already made the dread charger, mind sharing which else you already made so I don't have to?

1 minute ago, Lukaznid said:

Do as you wish, I thought we were working together but if you want to do it by yourself that's fine by me. Also I see that you've already made the dread charger, mind sharing which else you already made so I don't have to?

You got me wrong mate i am not rejecting your help, but for the current state i want to progress alone, hope you understand that.
The fact that you provide some feedback and criticism is already a help.
For the dreadcharger, you can have him of course, I will let you know if i render some other cards. :) 

5 minutes ago, lFrostAvatar said:

You got me wrong mate i am not rejecting your help, but for the current state i want to progress alone, hope you understand that.
The fact that you provide some feedback and criticism is already a help.
For the dreadcharger, you can have him of course, I will let you know if i render some other cards. :) 

I get it 100% enjoy ;)

No I meant for the image cutouts. I mean you already did the dread charger as a .png file so I don't have to, I was wondering if you did any other cards, no need to rediscover hot water right? (aka. redo stuff)

Also here's a sunstriders one ready for rendering.

Artwork_Sunstriders.png.7f1a92523e5dafa7 I'd left some of the red and yellow pixels out on the side, should I remove it?

Just now, Lukaznid said:

I get it 100% enjoy ;)

No I meant for the image cutouts. I mean you already did the dread charger as a .png file so I don't have to, I was wondering if you did any other cards, no need to rediscover hot water right? (aka. redo stuff)

Also here's a sunstriders one ready for rendering.

Artwork_Sunstriders.png.7f1a92523e5dafa7 I'd left some of the red and yellow pixels out on the side, should I remove it?

Oh i dont have him as PNG, i deleted the white things later :/ didnt noticed that.
For the sunstriders, I will render and check if the red and yellow pixels wont be detrimental.
And yes i did some other cards, but didnt cut them out.
Still wanna have them ?

sunstriders render.png

2 hours ago, lFrostAvatar said:

Oh i dont have him as PNG, i deleted the white things later :/ didnt noticed that.
For the sunstriders, I will render and check if the red and yellow pixels wont be detrimental.
And yes i did some other cards, but didnt cut them out.
Still wanna have them ?

sunstriders render.png

Hmm, I think I'll cut them out, or leave a bigger outline.
Other than that, if they're not from google and of higher quality then yeah sure gimme :D 

38 minutes ago, Lukaznid said:

Hmm, I think I'll cut them out, or leave a bigger outline.

Make sure to send me the new one then :)

38 minutes ago, Lukaznid said:

Other than that, if they're not from google and of higher quality then yeah sure gimme

Aight i will send them to you with a PN.
You can present me the cutted pictures in a PN as well, would appreciate it!

7 hours ago, lFrostAvatar said:

Aight @Eirias new version is done, hope you like it :)!
Tried to optimize some points that you mentioned.
Also added some purple colour on the left side and some red on the right to blend in better with the monsters.

thumbnail_pattern_2.png

Looking even better!

I'm not sure if the facebook, youtube, twitch, and twitter symbols add anything.

I wonder if "Haladur" could go all the way to the right, and centered in some kind of box (like the players' names).

I really like the fade to red! I wonder if it would look better if you fade to black or dark purple though... (or special effects behind the characters, I'm also interested in what you've got in mind there :))

Keep up the good work!

Oh, and what's the #1 and #2? And I don't think you need to include the players' rank. That would get too tedious to keep track of, I think. But I really like what you did with the orbs!

13 minutes ago, Eirias said:

I'm not sure if the facebook, youtube, twitch, and twitter symbols add anything.

I wonder if "Haladur" could go all the way to the right, and centered in some kind of box (like the players' names).

I really like the fade to red! I wonder if it would look better if you fade to black or dark purple though... (or special effects behind the characters, I'm also interested in what you've got in mind there :))

Keep up the good work!

Oh, and what's the #1 and #2? And I don't think you need to include the players' rank. That would get too tedious to keep track of, I think. But I really like what you did with the orbs!

the social media thing could have video anotations on top so people can click the icon during video being played to be directed to it. however, as a user im of the opinion that those should just be in the video description as they just clutter the thing, also, isnt this supposed to be for the thumbnails?

as for the map i feel it might be too small to see in a thumbnail too, as would the ranks and orb colors. maybe just upsize the orb colors as people can then tell what colors the players used in the match before clicking on the video. as for the ranks, im sure there's a lot of pvp players that care enough about rank to appreciate it being visible too.

its looking good!

I think he just means Player one and Player two of this round, with the #1 and #2... or maybe their current ranking in the list or something... but if so, same as the shield ranks, I dont think they are a good idea indeed. They look cool, but a lot of work for little reward.

Also, love the part that the horn thing of scavenger comes to the foreground over the name box... thats just a small detail i really enjoy.

Maybe make the Battleforge Reborn logo somewhat bigger, because a thumbnail is kinda small, so its easiër recognizable

@lFrostAvatar where did you get that background? and are there more like those? 

6 minutes ago, Tofu said:

the social media thing could have video anotations on top so people can click the icon during video being played to be directed to it. however, as a user im of the opinion that those should just be in the video description as they just clutter the thing, also, isnt this supposed to be for the thumbnails?

as for the map i feel it might be too small to see in a thumbnail too, as would the ranks and orb colors. maybe just upsize the orb colors as people can then tell what colors the players used in the match before clicking on the video. as for the ranks, im sure there's a lot of pvp players that care enough about rank to appreciate it being visible too.

its looking good!

Yeah, that's a good point. Perhaps the small map in the corner should be made larger and fill the center of the screen (then you can do away with the background and have special effects behind the characters?).

While the balancing looks really fantastic right now, perhaps you should show us the thumbnail-sized versions for judgement?

There's no way to see thumbnails in YT at full size, is there?

5 minutes ago, Eirias said:

There's no way to see thumbnails in YT at full size, is there?

There is, if you right click the description, than choose something like 'show page source' (translated from dutch youtube), than do Ctrl+F and search for thumbnail... the third find or something will give you an URL to the full resolution picture...

a lot of pain that nobody is doing, except if you specifically want to look at a certain thumbnail.

also, maybe try the map (the small one in the left upper corner) as background, if you turn it 90 degrees.

Just now, SilenceKiller99 said:

There is, if you right click the description, than choose something like 'show page source' (translated from dutch youtube), than do Ctrl+F and search for thumbnail... the third find or something will give you an URL to the full resolution picture...

a lot of pain that nobody is doing, except if you specifically want to look at a certain thumbnail.

also, maybe try the map (the small one in the left upper corner) as background, if you turn it 90 degrees.

Yeah, so no :)

I could work the thumbnail into an intro somewhere, but I kind of like having the same intro that I don't have to mess with.

And with the map, as long as the name is on the thumbnail, I really don't think it's necessary to have an image. @lFrostAvatar Personally I think the background is better the way it is, so there's probably no need for a "real" map (although perhaps a background that corresponds to the map at hand, like a snow background and a desert background)

Aight thanks for the feedback i really appreciate it.
I wasnt able to respond so quick because i am sort of ill hope you understand that!
Made some Changes based on your concerns.
I optimized the size of the orbs, also you can see on the left side that i left the tierslots by removing the previous orb icon, it looks maybe awkward but when I stick to the idea I will convert it with better quality.
Tell me your thoughts on it!
As for the effects, I made some rough flames behind the dreadcharger and scavenger.
Also i made a change regarding the background, on the left side i added more darker elements whereas on the right side sort of orange burn.
The last thing i changed was the BFR logo by increasing the size.

20 hours ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

@lFrostAvatar where did you get that background? and are there more like those? 

Yeah i do have more of them, made them back when Battleforge was still playable.

19 hours ago, Eirias said:

And with the map, as long as the name is on the thumbnail, I really don't think it's necessary to have an image.

Added instead of the Haladur Map now your Magma Hurler, hope you like it that way!

thumbnail_pattern_3.png

@lFrostAvatar

I'm not sure the flames on the scavenger really stand out, but the one on the dreadcharger looks really cool--like a shadow. I think using the same color "flames" for all the units would be good.

I looked at the thumbnail in a reduced size, and the text on top is a bit small. Could you make the banner on top a little bit bigger? (and what if it was black?)

If you blend one half of the background purple, and the other half red, it makes it difficult to change unit avatars. What if you just blended both sides to black?

(and yes, I'm a big fan of the magma hurler there :))

3 hours ago, lFrostAvatar said:

I wasnt able to respond so quick because i am sort of ill hope you understand that!

As for the effects, I made some rough flames behind the dreadcharger and scavenger.
Also i made a change regarding the background, on the left side i added more darker elements whereas on the right side sort of orange burn.

Yeah i do have more of them, made them back when Battleforge was still playable.

Sad to hear you are feeling ill, I hope you feel better soon!

Nice changes, specially those flamy things look awesome, you should do that with every unit xD

I would like to see those other backgrounds, I think I would like them a lot. If you could share them, I can use them as desktop backgrounds.

Edited by SilenceKiller99

Just now, SilenceKiller99 said:

Sad to hear you are feeling ill, I hope you feel better soon!

Nice changes, specially those flamy things look awesome, you should do that with every unit xD

If would like to see those other backgrounds, I like them a lot. If you would like to share them, I can use them as desktop backgrounds.

Thanks for the feedback man.
Sure I do have more of those, I dont know if they are viable for backgrounds though.
I will send them to you per PN.

16 minutes ago, Ladadoos said:

@Eirias I think the size is fine. That being said though, I don't think the logo is centered properly (or the rest isn't alligned correctly).

Well, I aligned the creatures by hand, but that trapezoid in the middle and the text boxes for players 1 and 2 should be aligned pixel-perfectly. So I guess that means it's the BFR Logo. 

7 hours ago, Eirias said:

Big thanks to @lFrostAvatar! Here's what the thumbnail will look like now:

Any thoughts? Is the BFR logo too small? How do the orbs below look?

Example thumbnail smaller.png

I'd recommend using different orbs because these look a bit too plain. I'd use something like this for the shadow orb for example.
57d513f3e5d3f_ShadowOrb.png.6fdafbf6e714

Apart from that, I'd make the black edges look "3d-ish" by adding some contour. Something like this in the shadow orb example. 57d5148b6a99a_ShadowOrbContour.png.981e2
Also do the same thing with the VS screen, make a slight edge to it so it's visibly more separated. 

This may require more work to do, but hiding the leg of the scavanger behind the black edge and the left two legs and the tail of dread would make it look like they are more interactive with the screen.

Just suggestions though :)

Edited by Lukaznid
words